PotC mist screen removed/turned off for good

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Built up...that's why at the beginning you go up a ramp after the lagoon/shipwreck scene then splash down into the fort attack scene and after all the town scenes you go down to the caverns. So technically you only go below ground level once. Similar to WDW's single below ground level drop.
Apart from it has two drops. And a cohesive timeline.

Paris and Orlando don’t go below ground level though.

DisAl

Exactly. They could have built up further at WDW making two drops very possible.

WDW’s single drop is not below ground level.
The primary reason for the drop at WDW is to get you UNDER the railroad track to the building that houses much of the ride outside the track. Ground level of part of the ride that is outside the railroad track is probably 10 - 15 feet lower than street level at the ride entrance so you are dropping down to what is ground level outside the tracks. Then you come back up to park street level at the end of the ride via the belt escalator or the handicap elevator.

peter11435

The primary reason for the drop at WDW is to get you UNDER the railroad track to the building that houses much of the ride outside the track. Ground level of part of the ride that is outside the railroad track is probably 10 - 15 feet lower than street level at the ride entrance so you are dropping down to what is ground level outside the tracks. Then you come back up to park street level at the end of the ride via the belt escalator or the handicap elevator.
Yep. At no point are you below ground level.

999th Happy Haunt

Original Poster
The fastpass queue is the original queue. The stand by queue is a interactive queue that ruins everything about the mansion. At first it was optional but eventually it became the main queue. Look it up on you tube.
I struggle to think how an additional line ruins “everything” about the Mansion. It honestly seems like you are just looking for something to be mad at.

lazyboy97o

Apparently you aren't familiar with Florida's HIGH water table. Dig too deep and you hit water. Two drops are not possible at WDW. If you weren't aware the MK has the underground tunnel system which was built at ground level because of that reason.
The high water table does not make sub-grade construction impossible. There are actual basements at Walt Disney World.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I think you misread my post. Tokyo and CA have the exact same ending in terms of layout, if anything Tokyo's ending is expanded with a slightly larger armory scene with an additional figure + the Jack AA has a variety of lines he cycles through instead of just 2 or 3. Tokyo also is the only PotC is in the world now that still has the original red head.
does Tokyo have you go up the waterfall?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Well, to me, here's California: the Blue Bayou is New Orleans, the swamp ride represents boating from New Orleans through Florida, and the Caribbean swamp takes us to the massive sinkholes that suck us down into the Piratey Past where aliens brainwash us into thinking we're on a boat ride while they actually lay us out on exam tables and steal our precious bodily fluids. You may have a slightly different interpretation.

And here's Florida:
They're just tourists -- what do they know or care about story? Just get them to the gift shop where they can spend some more money.
like I said , there are many way to interpet the blue bayou opening lol

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

BTMRR is far superior to all other versions in any other park. You will not dissaude me from this opinion. The load on the shore and the tunnel that dives under the river and propels you onto the island where the entire ride occurs makes for an extremely unique and far superior ride experience.

Additionally, I'd argue that Phantom Manor is the superior version of any Haunted Mansion.
you are wrong on both accounts.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I struggle to think how an additional line ruins “everything” about the Mansion. It honestly seems like you are just looking for something to be mad at.
oh it ruins it. the job of the exterior is to set the ominous tone of the ride. we have a giant manstion and within the yard even though it looks kept, there is something off about it. we know the ride is called the haunted mansion but we are not supposed to know if the ghost are friendly or scary or both. as you enter the foyer, go into the stretching rooms and see the hanging person you are lead to believe you are in danger and should be scared and take all this haunted stuff seriously. but after the sceance room things lighten up and you eventually end the ride in the grave yard where you realize the ghosts are not out to hurt you. they are having fun. creepy yes but your expectations have been subverted . then one of them tries to follow you home. the mix of creepy aura and then later Disney cartoony fun make the mansion what it is. the interactive queue ruins that by showing you up front the ghosts are zainy and funny and cartoony ruining the mood from the get go. so when you get to the stretching room and see the hanging person it has lost its foreboding feeling because outside you were told not to take anything serious.

Rich Brownn

Smart alec question? Again everyone is entitled to their opinion. Actually DL has 2 drops because Pirates was intially going to be a walk thru basement attraction and the infrastructure was put in place before Disney (having learned more about ride capacity at the World's Fair) decided to make it a boat ride. The ride outgrew the basement (where the caverns are now). The caverns were a quick fix or filler and the drops gave the boats the momentum to make it to the larger show building outside the berm. Marc Davis is quoted as saying the upramp at the end of DL's version always bothered him, so he fought for the elimination of it in the WDW version. WDW has the one drop because Florida has a high water table and it was only included as a thrill element not an operational necessity like DL. WDW's version wasn't an afterthought but more of a rushed compromise because as you know the MK was never to receive Pirates anyway but a grander attraction in WRE. So yes WDW's version is shorter then DL because the beginning bayou scene and extended caverns plus the upramp weren't needed in Florida. Those elements were incorporated into the entrance/queue.
Interestingly there was a plan at one time to actually extend Florida with an up ramp and 2 new scenes where the shops are now, and bring you back to the docks. I'm assuming it got dropped due to costs, but I saw the blueprints once. (I'm not sure chugging up a speed ramp - especially today when its turned off - is more magical than going back up a waterfall. I always felt disneyland's had a "return to the present" feel at the end

Rich Brownn

Ok...the bayou scene at DL sets the mood that leads to the 2 drops into the caverns explaining the fate of the pirates. At WDW the 2 drops weren't possible eliminating the long caverns scene so the exterior of the attraction and queue are used to setup the story. The exterior/queue/Pirates Bay is comparable to the bayou/caverns scene in the original because they all serve as the introduction. All I'm pointing out is WDW has a more realistic linear outline (the dungeon and arsenal queue, skeletons playing chess, hearing the pirates planning to attack, hearing the cannons, seeing the ship in the harbor and actually being in the Caribbean town that's being attacked are details often overlooked) when compared to DL's all over the place nature where an inland bayou somehow connects to the oceanside underground pirates lairs and then on to a Caribbean island, even if magically. Lets all agree POTC is a great attraction overall and even the shortened WDW version is better than no pirates at all.
The long inside queue actually was in response to the totally outside queue at DL. One the lessons learned the hard way from 1971 was open air queues SUCK in Florida. If you're not keeling over from heatstroke, you're being drowned in rain. Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, TeaCups had to be quickly altered after opening. By moving the queue indoors, with the limited space they had, necessitated the removal of the restaurant.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interestingly there was a plan at one time to actually extend Florida with an up ramp and 2 new scenes where the shops are now, and bring you back to the docks. I'm assuming it got dropped due to costs, but I saw the blueprints once. (I'm not sure chugging up a speed ramp - especially today when its turned off - is more magical than going back up a waterfall. I always felt disneyland's had a "return to the present" feel at the end
Indeed. I recall WDI walking the return to load route one third shift looking at the details. Although unload wouldn’t have been at load.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
oh it ruins it. the job of the exterior is to set the ominous tone of the ride. we have a giant manstion and within the yard even though it looks kept, there is something off about it. we know the ride is called the haunted mansion but we are not supposed to know if the ghost are friendly or scary or both. as you enter the foyer, go into the stretching rooms and see the hanging person you are lead to believe you are in danger and should be scared and take all this haunted stuff seriously. but after the sceance room things lighten up and you eventually end the ride in the grave yard where you realize the ghosts are not out to hurt you. they are having fun. creepy yes but your expectations have been subverted . then one of them tries to follow you home. the mix of creepy aura and then later Disney cartoony fun make the mansion what it is. the interactive queue ruins that by showing you up front the ghosts are zainy and funny and cartoony ruining the mood from the get go. so when you get to the stretching room and see the hanging person it has lost its foreboding feeling because outside you were told not to take anything serious.
Fun? You obviously haven't seen this...

Castle Cake Apologist

This is amazing news. Finally, a step in the right direction for WDW's PotC! Now, if we could only evict Jack... or, at least, change the audio back so that every single pirate isn't desperate to find him for... reasons? Treasure map?

NOOO ATTRACTION IN PARIS IS BETTER THAN THE DISNEYLAND ORIGINAL

Luckily the post you're shouting this at was clearly talking about Tokyo. In many people's opinion, Tokyo's Pirates is far superior to any other. Most everything at TDR is.

Regarding Paris, I think many people consider BTM at Paris to be much better than any other resort. The entirety of Thunder Mesa is pretty incredible.

you are wrong on both accounts.

You're not terribly familiar with the concept of opinions, are you?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom