Post your Gran Fiesta reviews here

tirian

Dost mine eyes deceive me?

Art thou actually Speck76?

:wave:

I didn't recognize you without the bird avatar.

speck76

Dost mine eyes deceive me?

Art thou actually Speck76?

I didn't recognize you without the bird avatar.

I was told my last avatar was not appropriate for this site, as apparently people from Wisconsin have either no sense of humor, or problems with others on this site and they take it out on me....either way, they are cowards, and they should learn to fight their own battles..... :lookaroun

Anyway....the birds will be back when they migrate back to Florida...they are currently enjoying drinks on a beach in Brazil :)

EpcotServo

I don't know why you guys suspected AA's. In El Rio, the only real AA was just the face of the Pepper's ghost Aztec guy. There were no real AA's in El Rio, why did you think there'd be some in Gran Fiesta? All they did, was keep the great 82' sets, and than turn it into what the movie was. They fly around neat places in Mexico, and Donald gets into a few scratches. It's funny, shows off places in Mexico, and has a great song. (As for the song, I like this song so much I didn't miss the old one like I thought I would. Plus, you guys can still listen to it on your computer, right? The audio is out there.)

movieride

Oh no...

Hey all this is my 1st post. Nice to meet everyone.

I figured this might be a good place to start. I'm a Disney purist and a CM in my late 20's. I of course grew up with Epcot Center, and I have strong feelings about the way things have been going lately in this park- particularly with what I feel to be a slow loss of wonder and thinking. When I was little, the Future World rides totally amazed me with the promise of the future and the World Showcase attractions made me feel like I was a real world traveler- still does.

But after riding the new version of El Rio Del Tiempo yesterday, I kinda got a little upset. It's not that I ever really loved this ride, but I always was intrigued with the presentation of past and present Mexico. I really hoped that a refurb here would present us with an updated look at Mexico but....

I don't know. This story or lack of was very silly and it's placement into this ride is extremely odd. Donald is a great classic character, but I really felt that he didn't belong here running around from projection to projection like a where's Waldo. It was just another disappointing example for me of the dumbing down of the once educational/inspiring nature of the original EPCOT in favor of entertaining the little ones. In fact, they deserve much better and are capable of understanding a more complex story than Donald lost, Donald found, sing the song. Please.

EpcotServo

I don't know. This story or lack of was very silly and it's placement into this ride is extremely odd. Donald is a great classic character, but I really felt that he didn't belong here running around from projection to projection like a where's Waldo. It was just another disappointing example for me of the dumbing down of the once educational/inspiring nature of the original EPCOT in favor of entertaining the little ones. In fact, they deserve much better and are capable of understanding a more complex story than Donald lost, Donald found, sing the song. Please.
Welcome!

Have you seen the movies? They both are like that. In fact, the ride has more story than the movie!
:lol:

movieride

Did I see Los 3 Caballeros? Probably a looong time ago. You know I thought about this ride a little more today- and I'm going to be a little more kind about my impression of it. World Showcase is not a typical kid favorite- the many exhibits and films/attractions are more for the adults- the Food and Wine Festival plays into this as well.

So, It is cool that the kids have something to enjoy in W.S. in addition to Malestrom....but they could have gone a lot further with this refurb. To rely only on projections came off a little anemic to me. Also the focus as changed now to Donald and his buddies when it in my opinion it should be solely about the real Mexico.

Still, the animations and places they went were interesting and done with some affection for Mexico. I get the feeling that some very talented people behind the scenes did as good a job as they could under likely budget restraints.

Please be careful, Movieride. A lot of us can't stand those kinds of "purists"--they're too close-minded for their own goods.

Please enjoy things like the Mexico ride rehab for what they are and not for what they could've been--that's the trouble with those Disney-bashers out there in today's society.

Please be careful, Movieride. A lot of us can't stand those kinds of "purists"--they're too close-minded for their own goods.

Please enjoy things like the Mexico ride rehab for what they are and not for what they could've been--that's the trouble with those Disney-bashers out there in today's society.

Here, here,...but do not fret...movieride is a wonderful friend of mine (from the "real world", not the net), and he is certainly NOT the type of "purist" we have stalking the boards like clouds of unwanted rain on a perfect Magic Kingdom day! He is simply coming to terms with the ever-changing central focus and direction of us 80's kids beloved EPCOT CENTER. After hours of conversations on the subject, I think he and I are in agreement, Epcot MUST undergo these updates and changes (the casual WDW guest could give two Tomorrowland toots for continued life for the sake of bittersweet nostalgia), but let us not forget the mysterious sense of wonder and imagination that sired the spirit and soul of this amazing park in the very first place!

I will have to hold off on my personal review of the attraction until my next getaway to the Magic place (sometime next month), but I must say that I am very excited about the update, for everything I have come across thus far (pictures, reviews, ride-through videos, etc.) seems to have breathed much needed new life into this fading attraction, hopefully upgrading its casual guest status from "we are only doing this because we don't know any better" or "it's either this or another Mickey-forsaken, outdated 360' film" to something of willingness and excitement!:sohappy:

hauntdmansion79

We haven't been on the ride yet but we watched the video and were very familiar with El Rio Del Tiempo. Here are our thoughts.

#1.) Along with everyone else, we miss the song. It was one of our favorites and would have at least been nice to hear it in the finale scene.

#2.) There REALLY needs and should have been some audio animatronics added to the ride. In 2 places. Most importantly is in the final scene. The stage would have been a perfect place to have the 3 Cabs live in person, it would have felt like you were seeing them live on stage and would have been a perfect finale to the ride. Secondly audio animatronics should have been in the "Small World-ish" scene to keep the flow of the story going. Having them looking for donald within the crowd would have been perfect.

#3.) We're glad they kept a lot the same, like the beginning scene with the volcano, a lot of the movies were the same, the small world-ish scene, and the fireworks at the end.

#4.) I wish they kept the street vendors like everyone else does. They certainly could have updated it, even making the 3 Cabs being the vendors. It COULD be done tastefully and it is something you do find in Mexico. It was also one of the most funny and memoriable part of the the ride.

Overall, considering how Disney can butcher an old classic, we are OK with this one. Thanks for listening.

Out of couriosity, does Disney ever run their ideas by the public like some kind of test, study, review group? (Hollywood Studios always have test screenings) Seems to me it would be lots of benefitual imput for the emagineers. Not that they would have to follow it of course, but perhaps steer them in a more popular direction.
Now I've only seen the video so I can't comment on the rehab. But it sounds like everyone would like to have the orgininal song back in. Thats just one example of public imput for the designers.

I think i got the answer to that i agree that would be a great idea but if disney were to start doing this then is they decided to work with one of those ideas from the public the public could then turn around and sue them for taking there idea trying to get credit and money from it.

John

Jerm

OK after seeing the video 5 times over and reading step by step reviews and photos of darn near everything, I still like it. It could have been better but it is a good change.

If you want to see what would have made it 10x better........
mmrevue4tf4.jpg

Just adding that old AA from the Mickey Mouse Revue right at the end of the attraction and have them playing out would have been a great step. But of course the break down's, the cycle, and just the motions would have not been as much fun as the video.

J

JLW11Hi

Maybe some animaronics in the "small world" scene would have fit, but honestly, the wild and crazy animation on the screens fits the characters ten times better than any animatronics would.

WDWGoof07

They took out the street vendors? :( Oh well, I won't get too upset, I'm sure the Gran Fiesta Tour is great and I'm eagerly looking forward to it for my next trip. (Unfortunately, I don't know when that will be.)

MSTCrow

We rode it last week and really enjoyed it. The pyramid at the beginning seems disconnected to the ride story but I'm glad they kept it, if nothing else than for scenery inside the pavillion.

We miss the old cheesy song but this is a very charming update. It showcases the many faces of Mexico without losing the riders in a poorly told history lesson. Personally I'm glad there are no animatronics. The characters are too zany to be confined to animatronics. Most of all, the ride feels clean and current instead of shabby and embarassing. Good riddance, poolside bartender.

hokielutz

I'll have to say that the refurb looks good on video. Not super fantastic, but good. I will have a chance to see it live in two weeks and will comment further about my review then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom