Post Abandoned Disney Ideas you know

Icekid84

Original Poster
Well as usual I do my homework and to my recollection and the search results which only go so far back I found no such topics so I thought Id start one. We all love expanding our Disney IQ's so I thought this would be cool. The topic is to list things Disney was going to do but got canned. Or things they talked about but did not happen. Basically a big post of long dead rumors :)

Well I guess I'll start with one, (since my brain is racked with statistics from class my mind cant hold much more lol)

The Expansion of the monorails. LOL yes I may be listed as newbie here but I registered in 2002 and jeeze when I did stop by back then there were some huge monorail topics and all were basically the same but interesting to read none the less. There were old plans or rummors of expanding the monorails to connect newer parts of WDW but this never happened.

Sorry for the bad starter.. but I just want to get this ball rolling to see if anything comes from it. :)

Indy95

How much time do you have? This is just for WDW parks...

Adventures of Icabod (sp?)
Space Pavilion
Sleeping Beauty
Roger Rabbit area
Mary Poppins
D ick Tracy's Crimestoppers
Western River Expedition
Muppet Studios
Italy gondola ride
Original CTX
Germany Rhine River Ride
Excavator
Equatorial Africa Pavilion
Tiger Rapids Run
Switzerland Pavilion with Matterhorn
Beastly Kingdom
Russian Pavilion
IJA
Israel Pavilion
Magic Underground
Spain Pavilion
Original Land Pavilion
Puerto Rico Pavilion
Flying Saucers
Fire Mountain
Villain Mountain
Everything included in Project Gemini

...There's a lot more than that...but I just don't have the energy

Legacy

Indy95 said:
How much time do you have? This is just for WDW parks...

Adventures of Icabod (sp?)
Space Pavilion
Sleeping Beauty
Roger Rabbit area
Mary Poppins
D ick Tracy's Crimestoppers
Western River Expedition
Muppet Studios
Italy gondola ride
Original CTX
Germany Rhine River Ride
Excavator
Equatorial Africa Pavilion
Tiger Rapids Run
Switzerland Pavilion with Matterhorn
Beastly Kingdom
Russian Pavilion
IJA
Israel Pavilion
Magic Underground
Spain Pavilion
Original Land Pavilion
Puerto Rico Pavilion
Flying Saucers
Fire Mountain
Villain Mountain
Everything included in Project Gemini

...There's a lot more than that...but I just don't have the energy
Tiger River Run is now Kali River Rapids
Villian Mountain is still highly probably for the 20K spot.
We got Soarin', which was part of Project Gemini.

Don't want to be a jerk, just clarifying things.

Indy95

Legacy said:
Tiger River Run is now Kali River Rapids
Villian Mountain is still highly probably for the 20K spot.
We got Soarin', which was part of Project Gemini.

Don't want to be a jerk, just clarifying things.
Oh I know...don't worry I'm not going to jump on you just because of some clarification. :)

I think we can count Villain Mountain because it does not yet exist at MK, and it's been in development at least since 1997...maybe I should just put an asterisk there or something.

Ok Soarin is true, though literally nothing else from PG has been built, and Tiger Rapids Run was close to KRR but was originally featured as an "Asian Safari" similar to KS but as a rapids ride...and KRR really isn't too close to that, the only elements that remain are the rapids ride system and some limited scenery.

Legacy

Indy95 said:
Tiger Rapids Run was close to KRR but was originally featured as an "Asian Safari" similar to KS but as a rapids ride...and KRR really isn't too close to that, the only elements that remain are the rapids ride system and some limited scenery.
True, they just couldn't get the tigers to stay on display. (It was a real "Good initiative, bad idea" type situation.)

Something that you could modify though, isn't JUST Roger's Car-Toon Spin, but the whole of Maroon Studios, which was to be built next to RnRC on Sunset Blvd.

Indy95

Legacy said:
True, they just couldn't get the tigers to stay on display. (It was a real "Good initiative, bad idea" type situation.)

Something that you could modify though, isn't JUST Roger's Car-Toon Spin, but the whole of Maroon Studios, which was to be built next to RnRC on Sunset Blvd.
I did say "Roger Rabbit area," which was Maroon Studios with its four attractions. I probably should have specified.

And as I recall, Maroon Studios was planned for Sunset to open in 1994 in place of ToT, and RnRC really wasn't being thought of at the time...so it wasn't really planned "next to where RnRC is now," but next to D ick Tracy's Crimestoppers and the Sunset Warehouse District, which would have been where RnRC is now.

Legacy

Indy95 said:
I did say "Roger Rabbit area," which was Maroon Studios with its four attractions. I probably should have specified.

And as I recall, Maroon Studios was planned for Sunset to open in 1994 in place of ToT, and RnRC really wasn't being thought of at the time...so it wasn't really planned "next to where RnRC is now," but next to D ick Tracy's Crimestoppers and the Sunset Warehouse District, which would have been where RnRC is now.
True... (technicalities :rolleyes: ). Crimestoppers would have been at the end of the strip (where ToT is) and Maroon Studios would have been build on the right side facing the Tower.

I still dream of Maroon Studios.

Dukeis#1

I'll add one of the most infamous canned projects, The Disney's America historical theme park that was to be built in Virginia near Washington DC during the mid-90s. A lot of mindless opposition occurred against the park, so Disney eventually cancelled it.

Indy95

Legacy said:
True... (technicalities :rolleyes: ). Crimestoppers would have been at the end of the strip (where ToT is) and Maroon Studios would have been build on the right side facing the Tower.

Ok I guess that makes sense, I guess I got it reversed. (technicalities :rolleyes: :lol: )

Oh I know I dream of Maroon Studios...but what I'd give ANYTHING to see is the Crimestoppers and the 1997 era Space Pavilion. And Westcot. Oh baby...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You can probably take virtually and attraction and say `this is what it was originally going to look like`.... and then get annoyed it didn`t happen!

Some more obscure items (including resorts)

Unnamed attraction where PotC was built
Spaceport
Plectus Fantastic Galactic Revue
Asian Resort
Venitian Resort
Persian Resort
Meditteranian Resort
Buffalo Junction Resort
Fort Wilderness Junction
Kingdom Suites resort
Journeys in Space
Century 3 - pre Horizons (with the observation spire)
Mineral pavilion
Communicore expansion
Omnimover through the human body (pre Boady wars) for `Health and Life` pavilion
Original Odyssey complex
JII with unload upstairs in the Image works
The Seas (before it shrunk to The Living Seas)
American Adventure on legs north of WS lagoon (with Omnimover)
At the Boardwalk: Under The Sea, Family Reunion and Disney Magic shows
Roger Rabbits Hollywood (official name of Maroon Studios, set to open after Sunset Blvd. with Toontown Trolley, Benny the Cab and Baby Hermans Runaway Baby Buggy, and yes - ToT was originally planned for Sunset)
Mickey`s Movieland
Muppets Movie Ride
Noah`s Ark
2 `studio themed` resorts in Epcot resort area

Indy95

marni1971 said:
Spaceport
Plectus Fantastic Galactic Revue
Venitian Resort
Meditteranian Resort
Journeys in Space
Roger Rabbits Hollywood (official name of Maroon Studios, set to open after Sunset Blvd. with Toontown Trolley, Benny the Cab and Baby Hermans Runaway Baby Buggy, and yes - ToT was originally planned for Sunset)
Muppets Movie Ride
Noah`s Ark
Ok just a few things here:

1. I haven't heard of what Spaceport, Journeys in Space, and Noah's Ark were supposed to be like. Do you have any more on those?

2. Didn't the Venetian Resort eventually morph into the Meditteranian? I though they were more or less the same thing.

3. Not to be picky, but I had already mentioned Roger Rabbit's Hollywood and Muppet Studios

4. Plectu's wasn't really planned for WDW. It was supposed to go into the CoP building at DL for the Tomorrowland 2055 expansion, but since WDW was planning on getting an update similar to Discoveryland at DLP Plectu wouldn't really have fit the theme, and instead they had the Flying Saucers attraction on-tap to replace CoP at WDW, and that's what made it into the official announcement for Discoveryland. Granted, they could have been thinking about Plectu, but it really shouldn't be mentioned for WDW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Spaceport was the original Space Mountain, looking a little different to todays version. Inside the berm, and taking up the space from The Skyway to If You Had Wings exit (pre CoP) - I`ll dig out some art. Journeys in space was the name of the space pavilion in the early 90`s, not sure if it was a new build or the Horizons building adaption (keeping the Ominscreens and some of the ride intact) Noahs Ark was an Andrew-Lloyd Webber stage show for MGM.

The Venitian and Med resorts were planned for the same site, but apart form this the only thing the had in common were canals.

Picky! :lol:

Plectu`s was planned for WDW - I have it from WDW`s press office on paper, as part of the new Tomorrowland (press release dated 1990-91)

Icekid84

Original Poster
Wow so much stuff.... Now the interesting part will be to get the more details on each thing to make this a even more intersting and Disney info broadening topic. :)

Lynx04

To bad we didn't come up with this thread when Jaydarknight was around, maybe this could of made him relise that a lot of attraction never become anything more then ideas on paper. Then we would have to keep here about IJA at MGM. :brick:

I saw some satellite photos of WDW and the area between the contemporary and MK parking lot had land bulldozed or dug up. Was this land suppose to be used for another resort?

stitchcastle

. Plectu's wasn't really planned for WDW. It was supposed to go into the CoP building at DL for the Tomorrowland 2055 expansion, but since WDW was planning on getting an update similar to Discoveryland at DLP Plectu wouldn't really have fit the theme, and instead they had the Flying Saucers attraction on-tap to replace CoP at WDW, and that's what made it into the official announcement for Discoveryland. Granted, they could have been thinking about Plectu, but it really shouldn't be mentioned for WDW.

actually Plectu WAS supposed to be part of MK just like DL.

ImaginerFigment

Legacy said:

I belive in MGM there is a window where Roger jumped out in the movie a little tribute:animwink:

Legacy

ImaginerFigment said:
I belive in MGM there is a window where Roger jumped out in the movie a little tribute:animwink:
Over at Acme Labs?

I SO want Maroon and Muppet Studios to be made. If they made those I wouldn't care about anything else on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom