Possible New Water Park

SewIn2Disney

First of all, I'm so sick of pirate stuff. Pirates is going to be the next stitch....we'll all be sick of it soon (if not already). What happened to the rumor about the big toilet bowl slide being installed at TL? When I was there in May, standing at the top of Crush n Gusher, if you look to your right, there was land being cleared, with large colorful tubes being brought it. I kind of assumed that they would be building more slides and activities over there.

I for one would love to see them expand on the swimming with the sharks theme, and maybe have an animal themed tropical owasis water park. Maybe with a volcano as the main icon or something like that.

DisneyMusician2

Again, another water park is kind of pointless. Spend the money where it is needed: Refurbishing attractions in the MK is more important than expanding the water parks or building new ones. That being said, I think if it did happen, it should be a completely independent theme, like BB was. It would certainly play better that way, I think.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
They killed River Country bc it was not easy to get to, dangerous, small and most of all not profitable. I would be amazed if they built another water park @WDW anytime soon. They should just expand the heck out of TL and BB. If there is no room at BB, they should say adios to mini golf and put more BB there. Sorry to those who love WS mini golf.

Please expound on this.

Are you saying at all or compared to today's water parks? :shrug:

Shaman

Maybe the waterpark will go over at the DLR? :lookaroun

If not...

How 'bout a toon/movie themed water park? They could have a couple of movie themed areas...20k Leagues, PotC, Little Mermaid, Atlantis..etc...

The question is what would set a new waterpark apart from most of the other offerings in North America or Florida even. Typhoon has the wave pool (and now CnG)...BB has the Plummet...

Shaman

How about a Neverland themed water park? Not the M. Jackson version, but the Peter Pan version.

That would be interesting because Neverland has various different distinct areas that would be great for a water park. They could even work in a pirate ship (the whole pirate thing seems to be "in" right now). But would they call it Neverland? :lookaroun :lol:

ToTBellHop

I highly doubt the new water park(s) are for Disney World. Hong Kong is quite the tropical climate (I don't know how popular water parks are in China, however). I agree that Disney needs to invest some money in Blizzard Beach. It may be a confined park, but there is always room to expand. Waterslides can fit in just about anywhere. Before Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon can expand (with the ultimate plan to increase the volume of guests visiting), they need to add more beach chairs...it's no fun in July having to search in the heat and humidity for that one beach chair no one has claimed. But, Blizzard Beach has room...and Winter-Summerland is profitable and I love the theme--it isn't going anywhere. Disney likes mini golf courses--I know they've considered adding one to Disneyland.

DisneyMusician2

What about something original? Or maybe something with an Epcot countries theme? An attraction that has the architectural or cultural aspect of a culture might be interesting.

Magic Freak

Sea World will be opening a new water park in 2008, right across the road from Sea World. Construction has already begun. It will be an exclusive water park just like Discovery Cove is.

JimboJones123

Typhoon Lagoon is only $2-3 million away from being a Pirates Waterpark already, why not just expand? Building a new park seems stupid if it will once again feature a tropical/sea like paradise. It's like building a Science Museum like park when you already have EPCOT.

MetFan81

Original Poster
I agree with you Jimbo. While the plans on Jim Hill Media awhile back did look impressive, TL is pretty much P of C simply w/o Pirates.

I think as we all say with main gates (aka 5th eventual gate), that it is only a matter of time before a third water park opens. TL can expand a good bit more but BB is pretty much locked in unless they want to do signifcant work.

If Marni is out there, do you know of any potential locations? I remember someone mentioning the Port Orleans area in the past as to a new water park.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree with you Jimbo. While the plans on Jim Hill Media awhile back did look impressive, TL is pretty much P of C simply w/o Pirates.

I think as we all say with main gates (aka 5th eventual gate), that it is only a matter of time before a third water park opens. TL can expand a good bit more but BB is pretty much locked in unless they want to do signifcant work.

If Marni is out there, do you know of any potential locations? I remember someone mentioning the Port Orleans area in the past as to a new water park.
There is definitely room for one across the street from PO. The plot of vacant land between PO, Epcot, Vista Blvd and World drive is larger then the plot of land that Epcot and its parking lot currently sits on. A water park the size of MK could be built there and you would never know it.

nibblesandbits

First of all, I'm so sick of pirate stuff. Pirates is going to be the next stitch....we'll all be sick of it soon (if not already). What happened to the rumor about the big toilet bowl slide being installed at TL? When I was there in May, standing at the top of Crush n Gusher, if you look to your right, there was land being cleared, with large colorful tubes being brought it. I kind of assumed that they would be building more slides and activities over there.

I for one would love to see them expand on the swimming with the sharks theme, and maybe have an animal themed tropical owasis water park. Maybe with a volcano as the main icon or something like that.
See, I hate the idea of a toilet bowl ride being built. It is not original at all...or even that new of a ride type. We have one at our local water park. I mean, it's all right...but it's not as great of a ride as this park originally tried to hype it.

So maybe it's just because I'm jaded to the idea...but I really wouldn't like it if they built that. They could do something so much more creative.

JungleSkip

This additional water park that is in the works wouldn't be meant for either coasts. It would be somewhere were Disney doesn't already have a presence. Right now there is a lot of talk about adding smaller attractions and niche parks/resorts around the country that will serve not as replacement destinations for anaheim and orlando. Rather travel to these smaller attractions will encourage larger tirps to the main resorts. So its possible that a Pirates themed water park could end up somewhere like Texas. Many people have speculated as to Disney doing something here. I think we will see a lot more development on these smaller projects, as well as two new cruise ships, than we will on major expansions at DLR or WDW ( aside from the new DVC developments)

CheriBibi

Well writing that they want to expand Water Parks beyound TL and BB means that It must be for Orlando. Would'nt have they said beyond Florida if they meant somewhere else than Disneyworld ? It may just be bad way of expressing themselves, but if it is... Some publicity advising money is not properly spent.

Now I don't think that a third water park in WDW is such a bad idea. In summer they're both crowded and as they can open and close them at anytime during the season without shocking anyone, this could be nice to have three open parks even if it's only for the summer season.
Beside let's be honest, expanding the parks would only make them more crowded and wouldn't add any return money. People don't come back for the new attractions of the water parks but for those of the 4 gates and Orlanders come back to disney water parks no matter what. Expension on either of them is only needed to balance attendance between the two, they don't need neither want to attract more people.

I think a third water park could bring even more alternative to both orlanders without taking much profit from the existing two. Disney wouldn't be even hinting about it if there was no demand. The three of them would be much profitable for the very short time of the year they would be operating simultaneously.

And as for the theme, well, I agree that the POTC franchise is already being too exploited to still be attracting in the next decades. I think it's gonna start fade out for the fourth installment... The theme of TL and BB are eternal, much like the lands of Disneyland they'll never die in our hearts. I dont think Imagineers would make that mistake as greelighting such a POTC water park, but Rasulo will in a blink. Let's hope Lasseter does bring them back some influence.

Now the water park envisionned for my dear home Disney park Disneyland Paris is a volcano themed one, Lava Lagoon I think was the name. I think you can find concept for it on the web. I think the design suggest that It was to be underneath a big globe of glass (much like BB original concept) but in Florida the glass wouldn't be needed. Beside wouldn't that be thrilling to see a volcano emerged in Reedy Crick skyline ? I know TDS volcano got me stunt like never before (beside main street/castle perspective) and make it to my computer desktop quiet often.

Yeah, i'm all for a third water park in WDW and i'd love it to be Lava Lagoon, don't think europe is about to put it out of the shelf for another 20 years anyway...

JimboJones123

Where would the new SeaWorld "SLIDE WITH DOLPHINS" park leave a 3rd Disney Water Park? I know I'm much more interested in checking that place out then going to any Disney Water Park any time soon.

neuromantic

There have been occassional rumors about a Disneyland Water Park but there are two main reasons this likely will not happen:

1 - CA has 4 other water parks and a 5th on the way.

2 - DL has little room and the only major land to build on (the Strawberry fields) is being held in case a 3rd park is ever to open in Cal.
What about that huge chunk of land right beside CA (it is the remaining part of the parking lot that CA was built on. That stands out to me as almost bizarre that they left that prime spot undeveloped. Are they holding that for California Adventure future expansion? The area is about 1/3 the size of the entire CA park. Would be just about perfect size for a water park. :sohappy:

Scar Junior

I wouldn't mind seeing a Pirates influence/expansion to Typhoon sometime soon. No need to build a whole new park, just expand what you've got and add some art/themes.

ToTBellHop

What about that huge chunk of land right beside CA (it is the remaining part of the parking lot that CA was built on. That stands out to me as almost bizarre that they left that prime spot undeveloped. Are they holding that for California Adventure future expansion? The area is about 1/3 the size of the entire CA park. Would be just about perfect size for a water park. :sohappy:

that is where the new Carland area with the Cars-themed Test Track-like ride will go. That area was set aside for future expansion--Tower of Terror and Flik's Fun Fair took up some of that plot. I wouldn't call it an odd choice to leave it open--it's good that they left room to expand. Once that is gone, DCA is pretty much filled out (although one could argue they have plenty of attractions that could be demolished and replaced, but otherwise, there is not a tremendous amount of free space at DCA).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom