Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Really? I do.
'Cause what we have right now is a big empty building and a quaint 360 film. The gardens and waterfall are pretty, but really, how many people stop to enjoy them?

Anybody have any guesses? What is worse than "nothing"?
If they go big for Canada, that'd be the place for a water ride, a la Grizzly River Run. If they add something minor, I dunno.

As for the 360 films, I'd prefer to take them out of the individual pavilions. Put up a World Showcase 360 theater somewhere. And rotate shows through the day. Show O Canada (old and new versions), Wonders and Reflections of China, and even a long throwback to America the Beautiful and Magic Carpet Round the World for special events (AtB on July 4 weekend, for example). Maybe even run timekeeper (with the AA robot on film). Add a new one for a pavilion that doesn't have one now and you'd have a nice mix that might keep the theater full, freeing up real estate in China and Canada.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
If they go big for Canada, that'd be the place for a water ride, a la Grizzly River Run. If they add something minor, I dunno.

As for the 360 films, I'd prefer to take them out of the individual pavilions. Put up a World Showcase 360 theater somewhere. And rotate shows through the day. Show O Canada (old and new versions), Wonders and Reflections of China, and even a long throwback to America the Beautiful and Magic Carpet Round the World for special events (AtB on July 4 weekend, for example). Maybe even run timekeeper (with the AA robot on film). Add a new one for a pavilion that doesn't have one now and you'd have a nice mix that might keep the theater full, freeing up real estate in China and Canada.
Sounds good to me.

HMF

Can you blame them? Many of the Imagineers being brought up are probably from the West Coast and grew up going to Disneyland. Most of the current group lack even the most basic semblance of what a truly powerful experience is possible. Walt Disney World has undertaken the most ambitious explorations into cultural and scientific discovery, but they don't realize that.

A Disney Park, to them, is forever shaped by Disneyland. Not classic Disneyland, but now there are content creators that have known Nemo Subs, Tarzan's Treehouse, Jack Sparrow in Pirates, Astro Blasters, and Winnie the Pooh for most of their lives.

That's a Disney Park to them.

Then the massive blunder that was DCA can't be overstated. Their whole perception of an unconventional theme park was shaped by DCA. When they hear original they think of DCA. That park needed to be fixed. Just like Epcot needs to be "fixed." The way to fix is it is a nighttime show with animated footage spliced together and an IP land. Same sort of thinking applies at Epcot.

Hopefully people like Weis can lead them in good directions; I think a large part of Tower of Terror being spared from the IP inquisition is Bob's influence.

Too bad there isn't a team that "gets it."
Exactly!
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/02/on-integrity.html

Cookie Galore

I love this idea! Can we have seats please? I remember the first time I went into O Canada, primarily to take a break and have a shady cool place to sit for an extended period. I was not pleased to find out I had to stand.

jt04

America the Beautiful for the win.

jt04

Great idea! They could even put Impressions in there.

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I love this idea! Can we have seats please? I remember the first time I went into O Canada, primarily to take a break and have a shady cool place to sit for an extended period. I was not pleased to find out I had to stand.
Problem with seats is three-fold. Less capacity, slower load and unload, and which way do you face the seats in a 360 degree show. I'm not opposed, but I'm ok without seats.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
They're meant to have the blessing of size. Remember?
Indeed. But if Canada is to get its raft ride, the space occupied by the theater might be quite helpful. And I want the theater space in China for for a full on acrobat production that doesn't need to be canceled in rain. Epcot has a lot of entertainment, but no true indoor theater production. So I'd put one there. a 35-40 minute show, 5 or 6 times a day. With seats.

Last edited:

Macca250

I've said something similar before and feared that I might be ousted from these forums! But if I'm totally honest, I'm not against attractions based on IPs in WS. Sure, losing IDF and Maelstrom etc. is a shame as they represent EPCOT's original purpose, but I can't help but feel the current roster of attractions at EPCOT simply doesn't appeal to the new generation of park goer (for better or for worse).

Pavilion films such as IDF don't have the same prestige as a Ratatouille attraction would have, and for a park that has so few rideable attractions I can't complain too much about the prospect of losing a film to gain a brand new attraction.

I mean, FEA in Norway has attracted a lot of interest to that area of the park (whether you agree with its positioning thematically or not) and has made WS a definite "must visit" for many families that would normally have missed out on such a beautiful area of WDW. And aside from a bit of Elsa merchandise and a small (unobtrusive) attraction entrance it hasn't destroyed the pavilion like a lot of us feared it would do. In fact you could say you wouldn't even know the ride was there unless you'd seen some advertising for it.

If WS were to get more attractions (like Ratatouille in France (which I've ridden in WDS and thoroughly enjoyed it) I can't argue too much against the removal of a film, no matter how good it is, in place of a proper attraction that's going to improve the park's roster and inject some new energy into WS.

In the case of France, it we could keep IDF and gain Ratatouille then great! However this isn't usually how TDO operate, and if I was given the choice between losing IDF or never gaining Ratatouille at all, it wouldn't be a difficult decision for me.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
losing IDF and Maelstrom etc. is a shame as they represent EPCOT's original purpose, but I can't help but feel the current roster of attractions at EPCOT simply doesn't appeal to the new generation of park goer (for better or for worse).
Please define the term, "new generation of park goer".
I mean, FEA in Norway has attracted a lot of interest to that area of the park (whether you agree with its positioning thematically or not) and has made WS a definite "must visit" for many families that would normally have missed out on such a beautiful area of WDW.
It has not attracted interest to that area of the park. WS is not a "must visit". The very specific area where "The Frozen Ride" is located is a "must visit", nothing more.

World Showcase has never had any problems providing entertainment for young and old alike. The problem more lies within the mindset of how a person views the experience. Many people equate their experience in terms of how many attractions they squeeze into one day for the amount of money they paid. Yet look at a majority of Disney commercials and how they sell the "making memories" aspect of a trip. Some friends of ours just returned form a spring break trip to WDW. They have 2 young children who both attend private school. They did not even ride FEA. However, they did tell me about the wonderful experience they had learning with their children as they visited the pavilions in WS. Even the childrens eyes got big as they told me about the "big building in Japan", the chocolate in Germany and the street performers.

Whenever someone says, "World Showcase is boring for my kids", I want to ask them if they even made an effort as parents to participate in the myriad of fun activities you can experience with your children througout each and every pavilion? You know, the old "making memories" aspect of the trip. Or is it all about posting that picture on Face Book of entering the FEA queue so your friends can see , "how great of a parent you are" and "how much fun your having"? The parents who want to enjoy time with their children are the ones actually at the Kid Cot stations with their kids while they color and get stamps,... not standing 20 feet away scrolling through their phone as their child looks up to show them what they have created , but mom or dad arent there to share the moment.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom