Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

the.dreamfinder

In short. Removing IDF for queue space (that's not needed since a viable alternative also exists) would be a short sighted, idiotic mistake. As bad as a proposal for the Canadian showcase that I won't go into unless it's announced.

IMHO.
Like when they wanted to tear down Circle of Life theater to build escalators for Soarin'?

huwar18

In who's eyes? Those who probably matter at the park. They do read these boards, no?

And yes, sorry but sometimes it does come off as bitter and negative. Not always intended, I know, we all care at the end of the day, moreso than those in charge do. I can be negative at times too over things I don't like but sometimes it does come off that way. And no that doesn't mean everything is pixie dust and sunshine and roses. I've personally found a lot to complain about and be negative about but I often see it thrown out there about rides being cut due to budget and I don't like it either but that doesn't mean what's put out is the worst thing ever. Some do enjoy Mine Train. It's a fun little ride for what it is. I wish it were more but I'm not going to dislike it because it could have been more than it was. I'm not going to dislike the rides in Pandora because the boat ride was cut 30% or that the bike coaster or whatever "headliner" planned didn't come to fruition. Am I disappointed? Yes, very much so. I wish the ride were longer but it does come off as knocking things and being negative. Sorry but that's how I see it. There are valid complaints but when we whine about certain things, and I do too, who will take us seriously?

I think the problem is that people think diehard fans want Epcot to never change. I want Epcot to change. However, I want appropriate change. I love that the park is finally getting love. That does not mean I have to be happy about proposed changes. I do not want thrill rides to take over the park. I want experiences. Honestly, I could care less if they add IPs to all of World Showcase (it is probably going to happen). I can live with that. However, I still want it to be appropriate. I can be excited that they are adding to the park and be disappointed at the same time. In my eyes, it is not a cut and dry issue.

Kman101

I think the problem is that people think diehard fans want Epcot to never change. I want Epcot to change. However, I want appropriate change. I love that the park is finally getting love. That does not mean I have to be happy about proposed changes. I do not want thrill rides to take over the park. I want experiences. Honestly, I could care less if they add IPs to all of World Showcase (it is probably going to happen). I can live with that. However, I still want it to be appropriate. I can be excited that they are adding to the park and be disappointed at the same time. In my eyes, it is not a cut and dry issue.

It's not. I wasn't trying to make it one. I've stated where I'm not thrilled with a lot of the decisions either.

I don't want IDF replaced. I didn't want Frozen in Norway ... I don't know where you think I'm making it a cut or dry issue where you have to either dislike it or like it. I'm in the middle. I state as much in my posts, no?

huwar18

It's not. I wasn't trying to make it one. I've stated where I'm not thrilled with a lot of the decisions either.

I don't want IDF replaced. I didn't want Frozen in Norway ... I don't know where you think I'm making it a cut or dry issue where you have to either dislike it or like it. I'm in the middle. I state as much in my posts, no?
Haha...sorry, I think you misunderstood my post. It was suppose to be in support of your post. I agree with everything you stated. I was just putting my twist on it. It was in defense to the other post about diehard fans and commercial fans.

Horizonsfan

Forgive me if someone's already posted something similar, but based on the insiders words, I created the three layouts that could occur for Rat:

1) a new sub-area for France located behind the existing pavilion; accessed by waterside (which would tie in nicely with the new gondola station across the way)
2) Consumption of the whole new county plot to the SE; this would consume valuable festival space (both on stage and off stage) but be far cheaper for infrastructure than Option 1
3) Expansion off of IDF's structure similar to the Food Rocks/Soarin' conversion; this one is obviously cheapest but could pose a challenge shoehorning in Chez Remy into an existing structure. The other issue with this layout is that it cuts off the guest stream that IDF currently provides to the QS & Ice cream shop.

Attachments

• Rat Opt 1.png
    Rat Opt 1.png
    572.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Rat Opt 2.png
    Rat Opt 2.png
    573.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Rat Opt 3.png
    Rat Opt 3.png
    559.9 KB · Views: 195

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Forgive me if someone's already posted something similar, but based on the insiders words, I created the three layouts that could occur for Rat:

1) a new sub-area for France located behind the existing pavilion; accessed by waterside (which would tie in nicely with the new gondola station across the way)
2) Consumption of the whole new county plot to the SE; this would consume valuable festival space (both on stage and off stage) but be far cheaper for infrastructure than Option 1
3) Expansion off of IDF's structure similar to the Food Rocks/Soarin' conversion; this one is obviously cheapest but could pose a challenge shoehorning in Chez Remy into an existing structure. The other issue with this layout is that it cuts off the guest stream that IDF currently provides to the QS & Ice cream shop.

You've copied the attraction plus the attached restaurant. The restaurant that's in Paris won't be re-created for the France pavilion.

See here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...traction-greenlit.923680/page-31#post-7548200

Horizonsfan

You've copied the attraction plus the attached restaurant. The restaurant that's in Paris won't be re-created for the France pavilion.

See here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...traction-greenlit.923680/page-31#post-7548200

Yeah my apologies, I've been away from the forums for months. I tried to see what had been discussed but wasn't about to search all 120 pages.

I knew I included the restaurant, I've seen Rat's floor plans. I had assumed that'd be included since it's part of the whole exit experience, but thanks for the catch-up.

doctornick

Original Poster
From what I know, the proposal being eyed the most is to replace the film but leave the theater as is. The replacement would sadly be IP, but the proposal to make it a Rat queue is at the #3 spot.

I know it won't go over well here, but I'm actually fine with them replacing IDF. It's had a nice run, but putting in a new show is a good thing. Just IMHO, I don't think IDF is so sacrosanct that replacing it is intrinsically bad.

Now, the quality of the replacement is a concern, especially if it is IP based as you suggest. If they have to go that route, I think they could make a pretty damn impressive show out of Hunchback, which would be the most fitting IP for the pavilion but I'm skeptical that would even be considered.

RoysCabin

I hate to sound this pessimistic, but if they do away with IDF and don't give it a solid, thematically appropriate replacement, that may be where I throw in the towel. Might just have to acknowledge that Disney isn't trying to reach anybody like me (not saying that to make myself look good or smart or anything like that, just people who aren't particularly invested in most non-park IPs) and reallocate my money accordingly.

IDF getting an update? It'd be sad to see the last October 1, 1982 attraction finally get changed, but at least the tone, theme, and experience would still be intact. But IDF going to accommodate Ratatouille? I've honestly never watched Rat, it came out as I was graduating college and I as of yet still do not have children...not that adults can't or shouldn't enjoy it...so I don't really feel any attachment to it, so losing IDF for it would be a gut punch and arguably a worse one than losing Maelstrom, which I loved but could see the arguments about it needing to be refreshed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I hate to sound this pessimistic, but if they do away with IDF and don't give it a solid, thematically appropriate replacement, that may be where I throw in the towel. Might just have to acknowledge that Disney isn't trying to reach anybody like me (not saying that to make myself look good or smart or anything like that, just people who aren't particularly invested in most non-park IPs) and reallocate my money accordingly.

IDF getting an update? It'd be sad to see the last October 1, 1982 attraction finally get changed, but at least the tone, theme, and experience would still be intact. But IDF going to accommodate Ratatouille? I've honestly never watched Rat, it came out as I was graduating college and I as of yet still do not have children...not that adults can't or shouldn't enjoy it...so I don't really feel any attachment to it, so losing IDF for it would be a gut punch and arguably a worse one than losing Maelstrom, which I loved but could see the arguments about it needing to be refreshed.
If you really want to see some IDF's, for about the same cost as a week at WDW, you can fly to France and take your own.
I for one am glad to see some renovation in WS. Change can be painful, but as we all know,
life-is-pain.png

HauntedMansionFLA

What's IDF?

DDLand

There is a risk IDF will form part of the queue. There's another proposal for the thetare too that I won't go into to. And the third is IDF remaining.

The first two proposals are part of a worrying trend by idiotic new kids on the block who don't appreciate what they're dealing with (or weren't even born when what they think they should change opened)
Can you blame them? Many of the Imagineers being brought up are probably from the West Coast and grew up going to Disneyland. Most of the current group lack even the most basic semblance of what a truly powerful experience is possible. Walt Disney World has undertaken the most ambitious explorations into cultural and scientific discovery, but they don't realize that.

A Disney Park, to them, is forever shaped by Disneyland. Not classic Disneyland, but now there are content creators that have known Nemo Subs, Tarzan's Treehouse, Jack Sparrow in Pirates, Astro Blasters, and Winnie the Pooh for most of their lives.

That's a Disney Park to them.

Then the massive blunder that was DCA can't be overstated. Their whole perception of an unconventional theme park was shaped by DCA. When they hear original they think of DCA. That park needed to be fixed. Just like Epcot needs to be "fixed." The way to fix is it is a nighttime show with animated footage spliced together and an IP land. Same sort of thinking applies at Epcot.

Hopefully people like Weis can lead them in good directions; I think a large part of Tower of Terror being spared from the IP inquisition is Bob's influence.

Too bad there isn't a team that "gets it."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom