Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

wdwfan4ver

For this year's D23, it's the general assumption that Toy Story & Star Wars will get an update, but is there a chance that we'll know something about Epcot? Like, anything about Epcot getting some new attractions/refurbs/love?
I think it is possible that something with innoventions could be announced there besides the 2 things already mentioned in this thread.

Right now, I think there is no meet and greets left in innoventions. Colortopia is the only thing left in inventions also. Based on this information, Innoventions seems ripe to get something done with.

CanadianGordon

Oh my head hurts after reading this thread. Honestly there are so many children online these days it's hard to figure out who isn't like the Mad Hatter.. People, stop feeding the trolls.

Trolls.. Please grow up.

I'm really annoyed they bailed the last second to reveal ANY details about Epcot at the mini D23 event last year. One of the great mysteries of the company I suppose. Meanwhile Epcot continues to flounder.

CanadianGordon

And my pocket book stays closed the longer the dang park doesn't get it's updates. I'm planning on spending a lot the next time I visit. Since it wouldn't be part of a group. We'd do as much of the behind the scenes and safari and interesting things as possible.
I would love for Epcot to be revitalized. Not mostly closed. Get to it already! :(

RoysCabin

I can't really say the prospect of the Ratatouille ride excites me at all. It'd be understandable from a logistics point of view, having to spread the lines out from the other side where Frozen is, but the ride as it is in Paris doesn't do a lot for me.

A point was brought up previously that I think raised an interesting issue; while I think it's completely reasonable to want less IPs in EPCOT so that it can retain its more unique characteristics and be a bit of a reprieve from what can, at times, feel like an endless barrage of advertising and merchandise for Disney films and properties around the parks, the point goes deeper: if you're going to design a themed land, and within that themed land create pavilions, then you really want those pavilions to flow well and be a cohesive experience. A ride like Ratatouille, in my opinion, would feel a bit like a distraction for me from the flow of the existing pavilion.

That's not because Ratatouille is a bad ride, per se; it's not bad at all. But while the ride at least takes place in Paris and highlights French cuisine, it's still the type of ride where the property itself would take precedent over the pavilion and the culture behind it. There'd be space opened up to sell Remy plushies, t-shirts, etc., which I fear would kind of come to dominate the overall experience of the France pavilion, leading to less emphasis on cohesion and flow.

There's a great line that gets used in the incredibly not-safe-for-work reviews of the Star Wars prequels by the guys at Red Letter Media (if you haven't seen them, they're incredibly vulgar, but incredibly funny, and will eat up hours of your day) - they mention that often in filmmaking there will be small, minute details that a good filmmaker doesn't neglect. The line basically says "You may not have noticed it...but your brain did." That's the type of thinking I feel is missing from EPCOT these days; you can put in a new attraction, that's great, but the attraction really should serve the purposes of the themed area/pavilion it's a part of, and not minimize what's around it, instead. Maybe they'd handle Ratatouille well, I'm not trying to completely pooh-pooh the idea, but it feels a bit too much like a 5 minute ride that doesn't make me say "Man, I want to experience Paris right now" so much as "It's fun to see Remy and friends", which is the style of ride that EPCOT should probably avoid if it wishes to work in a more cohesive fashion.

Kman101

Look, most of us don't want IPs in Epcot. I don't. I want what they're capable of doing (unique, original rides that fit what Epcot/Epcot Center used to be and can be again if given a little effort), but they're here and they are going to keep coming. I'd rather have the Rat than nothing at all. I'd love Beauty and the Beast but it belongs in Fantasyland, regardless of whether it's "the better ride". But that's just my opinion although even that fits better than Frozen. If Ratatouille weren't a movie and a ride they just came up with we wouldn't even be discussing it. We can protest IPs (and they clearly don't care if we do or not) or accept that they're coming and discuss the more "acceptable" option. At least they aren't, as of now, ripping out Impressions. That's a plus. As Martin has sadly stated, Epcot Center is dead. We can talk about how they can be that way again, and I agree they can, but they aren't doing that. They're throwing in IPs. And who decided IP was a dirty word anyway? It's not always a bad thing, it's just their implementation and locations typically suck.

Daveeeeed

As for the France pavilion, I really wouldn't mind the Ratatouille ride at all. I think it'd make a great attraction and be a nice, kid-oriented ride for the opposite side of World Showcase to balance out Frozen.
I would prefer it over not anything at all. It's the best compromise I can think of. As you can tell from my profile pic -- I've been on it and it is very good. Not as good as Spiderman, but it would easily be the number 3 ride at IOA. Although Kong is really cool, I think Ratatouille still edges it out... although Kong's queue is more impressive. I think at Epcot it would be either the second or third Spaceship Earth #1, Soarin' #2, and Ratatouille #3. The old Test Track was better though.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I think it is possible that something with innoventions could be announced there besides the 2 things already mentioned in this thread.

Right now, I think there is no meet and greets left in innoventions. Colortopia is the only thing left in inventions also. Based on this information, Innoventions seems ripe to get something done with.
I actually wonder. how many pavilions and areas are actually sitting empty?
Some of the empty ones are now used for M&Gs near futurworld (The Land side) if I remember correctly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom