Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

Cesar R M

The divide comes from what kind of attraction we think is suitable for that area of the park - the average guest is fine with Frozen in Norway, as evidenced by its popularity
You mean "apparent" popularity, based on the stagnation of Epcot AND the ride's low capacity.

If you're wondering where things like support for Ratatouille within World Showcase on this board is coming from, despite its seeming similarity to Frozen as an animated IP "invading" World Showcase, I suspect that it is largely coming from a place of compromise. If 'toons are coming to the showcase, at least Ratatouille is one whose film centered around Showcasing a major cultural contribution of one country to the World. It is a film about a character exploring France, the French, and French Cuisine.

Theres hardly any similarity with Frozen and Rattatouie. Only thing similar is that they were animated movies by Disney branding. (one being Pixar the other Disney studios).

Cesar R M

I apologize to bring this back, but just to clarify. Most people want more rides in EPCOT, but they want them to be thematically apropriate, and not replace another ride.
XUoTX6w.gif

Yes!

Cesar R M

If you're telling me Epcot was never meant to evolve
I dont think anyone disagree about evolving.. It did evolve anyway..
It evolved into something top tier tech cutting stuff.. into a decrepit park with ancient rides not updated and with everything trying to funnel as much money from your wallets as possible while replacing very little (that is literally falling apart) and adding nothing.

As for trolling. You need to understand there are people who have.. REAL issues.
We've had posters with Autism or other form of issues, and their inability to understand basic stuff.. lead to fights and disruption.
Then theres others who are actual professional trolls. Who only want to stirr trouble or seek attention at all costs.

Hell, we have a few "experts" who love to comment and bash some parks.. despite they never been there and claiming expertise! (who knows for what reason.. elitism? attention? trolling?)

yensidtlaw1969

You mean "apparent" popularity, based on the stagnation of Epcot AND the ride's low capacity.

Yes, that is what I meant.

Theres hardly any similarity with Frozen and Rattatouie. Only thing similar is that they were animated movies by Disney branding. (one being Pixar the other Disney studios).

Yes, that is what I said. Their only similarity is superficial - beyond that, Ratatouille is much more the better fit for World Showcase of the two.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Why do certain people continue to misinterpret culture with education? It keeps being asserted that any person who speaks of WS needing to have an appropriate theme is somehow claiming that it should strictly be educational or that it should rely heavily on an educational aspect?

In a venue such as a WS pavilion, if a fluid theme is applied correctly, the educational aspect is an ancillary, almost naturally occurring factor. It need not or should not be forced in any manner. Claims that character based fantasy rides are a medium to inspire a child to "want to visit and learn about the country" are absurd. The primary intent of a pavilion should not be to boost tourism.

21stamps

Why do certain people continue to misinterpret culture with education?
Unrelated to Disney-
That sentence is the scariest thing that I've read here. Honestly. The two are not mutually exclusive, and if someone thinks that they are, it truly makes me sad.

As for Epcot and the WS- It's Disney World. It is a place where fantasy comes to life. There are a few educational aspects.,but Frozen in Norway is not "dumbing down our children" or "insulting our intelligence" as a few have claimed, not any more than a movie ride in France would. Maybe that's their opinion, but it's not factual.
Debating if it fits into the "theme" is a different convo, and one's opinion of if it should or should not be there is something understandable..and the two "sides" probably won't agree...both points are valid. That's completely seperate from claiming that such a thing is a crime against our children and our intellect.
What someone likes about WS or doesn't like about it is fine.. But omg, give the general population more credit than thinking a Frozen boat ride is going to somehow make them stupid or prevent them from learning about places and cultures.
And if someone is going to say that Jasmine is also "dumbing down society" by her presence in Morocco, at least know why you have that opinion. Know what you are talking about, have something to back your opinion up.
If someone is going to pretend to be offended at something- at least know the reason why you are pretending to be

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Unrelated to Disney-
That sentence is the scariest thing that I've read here. Honestly. The two are not mutually exclusive, and if someone thinks that they are, it truly makes me sad.

As for Epcot and the WS- It's Disney World. It is a place where fantasy comes to life. There are a few educational aspects.,but Frozen in Norway is not "dumbing down our children" or "insulting our intelligence" as a few have claimed, not any more than a movie ride in France would. Maybe that's their opinion, but it's not factual.
Debating if it fits into the "theme" is a different convo, and one's opinion of if it should or should not be there is something understandable..and the two "sides" probably won't agree...both points are valid. That's completely seperate from claiming that such a thing is a crime to our children and our intellect.
What someone likes about WS or doesn't like about it is fine.. But omg, give the general population more credit than thinking a Frozen boat ride is going to somehow make them stupid or prevent them from learning about places and cultures.
And if someone is going to say that Jasmine is also "dumbing down society" by her presence in Morocco, at least know why you have that opinion. Know what you are talking about, have something to back your opinion up.
If someone is going to pretend to be offended at something- at least know the reason why you are pretending to be offended.
TWDC chose to import "Arendelle" into the Norway pavilion, essentially doing away with the pretense of it being an actual nation in exchange for one based upon Frozen. And as for the general public, you truly don't speak for them, so perhaps making assumptions on their behalf shouldn't be in your wheelhouse...

DDLand

But omg, give the general population more credit than thinking a Frozen boat ride is going to somehow make them stupid or prevent them from learning about places and cultures.
You're the one saying to aim for the lowest common denominator. We're the ones who say people can be captivated by great story and culture. If there's a group that is optimistic and believe in the "general population," it's those that say World Showcase isn't what it could be and that it could be more.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Unrelated to Disney-
Who said they were mutually exclusive? I was referencing how people misconstrue culture playing a small role in a larger story does not mean its intention is strictly educational. Perhaps you misunderstood or misinterpreted what i wrote.

Ill break it down for you short bus style. When person "A" says, "WS should not loose its cultural aspects for cartoon characters", Person "B" responds with, "WS does not have to be educational or a museum. Walt died and Epcot will never be the city of progress he envisioned". Person B assumed culture meant education and formed their response based on that same misinterpretation.

As far as the rest of your post, I have no idea what the general population thinks. Who said anything about a boat ride making them stupid? Are you referencing a specific post? I missed it. Who said that?

21stamps

You're the one saying to aim for the lowest common denominator. We're the ones who say people can be captivated by great story and culture. If there's a group that is optimistic and believe in the "general population," it's those that say World Showcase isn't what it could be and that it could be more.
If you can find where I said something like that it would be helpful for me to understand what you're saying. I don't ever remember making a comment that would portray anything of the sort.
I also never said that the World Showcase couldn't be more. I'd definitely enjoy more rides, I'd also love a new pavilion, hence where the "Brazil" convo came into play.

So now that we have all of the apparent miscommunication/misreading out of the way, I'll say that I 100% agree that the World Showcase could definitely be "more", and that I look forward to any new attractions that Disney decides to build.

@wdisney9000 The words "dumbing down our children" and insulting our intellect were definitely used. That was pages ago, and that convo ended. I only quoted them bc they were directly relating to your comment. If you wish to go back and read it feel free. Or..you could go off on another tangent pretending some kind of righteous indignation about a country and culture that you obviously can't actually discuss. Either one works. :) But I'll let everyone else read that. My best bet is just to go on an ignore spree, if the same few people claim (over and over) that I'm so offensive but yet can't click "ignore", that's their own issue..I wish I could do it for ya'll, but since I can't..I'll just eliminate the endless off topic and pointless posts from you and a few others from my sight. I'd rather talk to people who can have a discussion, a real one, not some weird Kind of posts to express fake shock and offense-but then avoiding any direct questions presented as a result. :). Have fun.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

She goes into threads purposely riling people up and making all focus on her. There are people here who have differing opinions and stick to them but no one else does what she does. It's annoying to read threads and see nothing but back and forth between her and others page after page.

I wish this was more like Orlando United. A very nasty troll recently took over a thread and got a swift one month ban.

Can't it just be that different people have different personalities? And when you put certain personalities together, they clash? Why do we have to ascribe sinister motives in this case? A troll has no interest in real discussion, as far as I've ever known. They don't make genuine arguments. @21stamps is obviously an intelligent person who is genuinely trying to partake in conversation. If you disagree with her or you disagree with her "way," and you can't handle that without getting "riled up," then maybe you should block her.

If all you care about is the quality of the attraction,

I choose my words carefully. I wish people would read them carefully.

would like to assert (at the minimalist value as being hypothetical), that it is essential that an attraction is harmonious thematically to compose a whole.

I agree with this. Again, I think the main disagreement is the degree to which something is thematically harmonious, particularly in the unique setting of Walt Disney World. And possibly a realistic setting of expectations.

Ratatouille took place in a fake France where rats talk and one can cook. Disney world has a fake France. There is nothing thematically crazy about putting them together in Walt Disney World. If you want to split hairs because one fake France is trying to be more authentic than the other fake France - while they are both fake - I think that's too much emphasis on cerebral exercise at the expense of fun and fantasy.

Tony the Tigger

That's only if you accept the premise of what you think is the lowest common denominator.

Mike S

Can't it just be that different people have different personalities? And when you put certain personalities together, they clash? Why do we have to ascribe sinister motives in this case? A troll has no interest in real discussion, as far as I've ever known. They don't make genuine arguments. @21stamps is obviously an intelligent person who is genuinely trying to partake in conversation. If you disagree with her or you disagree with her "way," and you can't handle that without getting "riled up," then maybe you should block her.
No need to block as I just scroll past when I see her posts. I'm talking about the people always responding to her. I don't respond.
I put her on ignore months ago...makes it very hard trying to read a thread like this though
Exactly. Ignore doesn't really help if people keep responding. Then you don't know what's going on.

doctornick

Original Poster
For this year's D23, it's the general assumption that Toy Story & Star Wars will get an update, but is there a chance that we'll know something about Epcot? Like, anything about Epcot getting some new attractions/refurbs/love?

I think it is likely we'll get something regarding the other parks/potential projects at WDW -- and Epcot seems the most likely with possibilities like a UoE replacement or a new build in WS (like a France ride). Other things that might be announced include the Mickey ride for DHS, any show changes at DHS or a SGE replacement at MK. For DLR, I wouldn't be surprised to see details about Marvel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom