Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They shouldn't just be thinking in terms of a few years. What if they decided to add more countries a decade from now?

I see what you are saying about the gondola but why not shift the building just far enough?

Why not just enough necessary? Why all the way on to the unused pad?

These choices seem out of character from recent strategic decisions. IMO.

Maybe you are starting to finally understand what other already know, that a lot of the current decision are short term thinking.

Kevin_W

I'm sorry I haven't kept up. Do we know the status of IdF? These plans looked like they go around it.

I know parts are dated, but the film is great - the music, the cinematography are all great. When we were in France last summer, we visited Mont St Michel and Chenonceau in large part because of being inspired by IdF. No other Epcot attraction has done that.

Biff215

I know there's talk of them leaving space in front of the show building, but I highly doubt there's any intention for that to be used for anything significant in the future. It simply allows them to hide the building without having to build a significant facade. As others have said, there are still plenty of spaces for additional countries, but adding attractions seems to be their focus now, which might not be a bad approach IMO.

njDizFan

I know there's talk of them leaving space in front of the show building, but I highly doubt there's any intention for that to be used for anything significant in the future. It simply allows them to hide the building without having to build a significant facade. As others have said, there are still plenty of spaces for additional countries, but adding attractions seems to be their focus now, which might not be a bad approach IMO.
I agree, adding a stage show or something in front of the building will keep the costs down. Theming the front of that building to a WS appropriate aesthetic would be timely and expensive. It would be awesome if they made that some sort of mini expansion, like a Switzerland etc but let's be thankful for a nice additional and wht will be by far the best "ride" in the WS.

djkidkaz

It's pretty darn smart actually. Your adding an IP ride to world Showcase and not effecting the theme at all. They are going to have a small entrance and exit in that one corner and the rest of France pavilion will look rather untouched.

In regards to IdF my thought would be that it gets removed if they want to make the gift shop larger. Right now France doesn't have the space to accommodate all the merch that would go along with this. All they have is that little shop connected to the bakery. I believe there is also an unused shop next to the ice cream location that used to be a shop or something so that is another option.

fuentesalex

I'm sorry I haven't kept up. Do we know the status of IdF? These plans looked like they go around it.

I know parts are dated, but the film is great - the music, the cinematography are all great. When we were in France last summer, we visited Mont St Michel and Chenonceau in large part because of being inspired by IdF. No other Epcot attraction has done that.

Same here. I wouldn't have known about Mont St Michel if it wasn't for IdF. It's really only some parts with people that need updating. It can't be all that costly to update it.

yensidtlaw1969

I get what you are saying but that doesn't make the placement of the show building any less odd to me.
Clearly they're not concerned about their use of this pad in this way. If it conflicted with future plans they wouldn't do it. They have plenty of options elsewhere. Nothing odd about it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Clearly they're not concerned about their use of this pad in this way. If it conflicted with future plans they wouldn't do it. They have plenty of options elsewhere. Nothing odd about it.

Indeed. And even if we posit that WDW has long range plans and is not just acting in the moment, World Showcase was never meant to be ever-growing until all countries are represented. The current layout squeezes in only 19 pavilions (maybe half a dozen more if you gobble up World Showcase Plaza). The original pie-in-the-sky plan only had room for 34. And there are roughly 195 countries in the world. Clearly, the majority of countries would not have their own pavilion.

It's maddening to think of important countries (geographically, historically, culturally, politically) that should already have been included and aren't. But even if/when all 19 pads are full, we'll still come up with a few more countries that 'should' be represented.

A possible fix is to make any new pavilion a regional one with several countries having a storefront within one pavilion. The Norway pavilion was originally going to be a Nordic one with several countries involved, but only Norwegian interests came up with sponsorship money and so it became a one-country pavilion. (Imagine the complaints about Frozen Ever After that could have been somewhat blunted if it was the Nordic pavilion! -- Just kidding, it would have still been hated.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom