Port Orleans

tnchefbear

I have been looking through the site for awhile now and never see anything about Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside. I know they were closed for rehab for what seemed like forever, and French Quarter was not open at all when I was a Cast Member at Epcot. So what gives?

sbkline

If Port Orleans was dead because of a drop in tourism due to 9/11, is there any guess as to why it only affected this resort and not any of the others?

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

tnchefbear said:
I have been looking through the site for awhile now and never see anything about Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside.

HUH??? :veryconfu

There are TONS of posts about each resort here, but they are most likely under specific topics.

Use the "SEARCH" button at the top of the page and you will get tons of pages of posts on everything from renovations, to reservations, reviews, and trip reports, etc.

Lots of those posts are mine because POFQ is one of my favorite places to stay! It was also completly refurbished a couple years ago, making it even better!

GOOD LUCK!

:wave:

Upvote 0

celticdog

sbkline said:
If Port Orleans was dead because of a drop in tourism due to 9/11, is there any guess as to why it only affected this resort and not any of the others?

POFQ and POR are easy resorts to close. POFQ is very small and fairly easy to secure. The old sit down restuarant still has not reopened. Both are fairly removed from the other attractions. So, it would make sense to close them until needed.

Other aspects of Disney were dramatically affected by the 9-11 tourism drop. We took a cruise in Oct 2001. We were given a free upgrade and a refund! There were some fantastic deals post 9-11. AKL had rates of $99 per night in the value season!!

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

sbkline said:

Construction on Pop Century was stopped and the opening was put off for over a year and the other half of Pop has yet to be completed.

Upvote 0

tnchefbear

Original Poster
I was not specific enough in my question I guess... I was talking about the resort section of this web site... But you all are right, I was a cast member in Epcot in 2003 and POFQ was closed and one of the chefs I was working with for the International Food and Wine Festival was talking to me about reopening Bonfamilies (sp), however I was offered a better job at Gaylord Palms so I never saw the resort reopen... I did stay there a week in 1992 and I know it was a few years old then, so it may be coming up on its 15th anniversary... Thanks for all the great posts.... and off all the resorts, POFQ is my favorite...

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

Hmm...glad you clarified that because we have dozens of postings on here with hundreds of responses each about PORIV and POFQ...so wasn't sure what your question was.

The chat normally revolves around which one is better, which one has a better pool, and which one has better bus service, with people arguing that whichever one they stayed at was the best and then justifying their positions.

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
We just got back from a 7-night stay at POR. I didn't see any construction going on in the Magnolia Bend area, but I didn't see the Bayous at all - so I can't vouch for that. Our room in Oak Manor had been renovated and had the new fridge, curtain, ceiling fan and data connection.

I could see them painting some of the trim and railings at FQ as we went past on our boat. I know that both resorts were definately open though, and still are.

Upvote 0

sbkline

We're staying at POR next year and I was wondering if it is better to take the buses to the parks, or to take our own vehicle? Pricewise, obviously, it is better to leave the car parked and take the free transportation, but for people like me who like to get there when it opens, does it waste alot of time on stops to take the bus there?

Upvote 0

mrtoad

They are both open. FQ was closes and was totally refurbished, not for tourism reasons. Every room was totally redone and was closed for about 1 year. Not long after they started doing Riverside but one building at a time and kept it open.

Upvote 0

celticdog

mrtoad said:
They are both open. FQ was closes and was totally refurbished, not for tourism reasons. Every room was totally redone and was closed for about 1 year. Not long after they started doing Riverside but one building at a time and kept it open.

I was there in Nov 2004 and they were replacing furniture. Sections were closed, but not the whole resort. Was this in addition to your closure, or was it completely separate?

Upvote 0

mrtoad

If I remember correctly it was closed from around March 03 to March 04. Don't quote me on those dates, but that is what comes to mind.

The reason those come to mind is I think that as soon as they re-opened FQ they started with Riverside but did not plan on closing Riverside during the rehab as they did with FQ. We normally stay at Riverside but decided on our next trip not to stay as we were concerned about being next door to a building that was being rehabbed.

Somebody who works for WDW would be able to give better dates but I believe that is close.

Mike

celticdog said:
I was there in Nov 2004 and they were replacing furniture. Sections were closed, but not the whole resort. Was this in addition to your closure, or was it completely separate?

Upvote 0

mrtoad

celticdog said:

OK, I did a quick search and I was half right and so were others. It looks like it closed after 9/11 as well.

This first thing I found was on the passporter site an talks about the upcoming closing of POFQ starting in May 03.

The next was from Mouse Planet written in Feb 04 saying FQ was reopening in March 04.

From Passporter:

PORT ORLEANS DEJA VU
For the second time in two years, Disney is temporarily closing Port Orleans Resort’s French Quarter for "rehab." This section of the resort was also closed soon after 9/11, and reopened May 31, 2002. Back then Disney claimed to be making guest room renovations, so we (and other commentators) have to wonder what remains to be fixed-up. (Disney did make changes to the Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory food court). Regardless, with guest bookings at Walt Disney World down again thanks to the economy and the war in Iraq, Disney can take this opportunity to consolidate its operations at the resort by operating only a single front desk/hospitality building and temporarily reassigning roughly 1/3 of the Port Orleans staff to other facilities.

All guest room furnishings and decorations at Port Orleans resort are scheduled to be refurbished during the next two years, starting with New Orleans-styled French Quarter. All of French Quarter (including restaurants, pool, and shops) will be closing May 4, 2003 for approximately six months. That 1008 guest room section should reopen in time for the 2003 Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years season. Guests with reservations for French Quarter during the closure period will be contacted by Disney and offered alternate accommodations.

Rehab of the 2048 guestrooms at Port Orleans Riverside will begin in early 2004, after the holiday season. All guest amenities including restaurants, pools and shops will remain open. No more than a few Riverside guest buildings will close at a time, starting in the Magnolia Bend "mansions." There will be buildings open in both Magnolia Bend and Alligator Bayou throughout the rehab.

From MousePlanet

Disney's Port Orleans Resort's French Quarter is reopening for guests on Sunday, March 21, and Disney is looking to staff the 200 additional positions required to open the resort, including housekeeping, recreation, and front desk. Disney began taking reservations for the resort late last week.

The 1,008-room resort will feature new furniture, carpeting and wall coverings, as well as remodeled bathrooms. The 2,048 Riverside section will be next, going through a phased rehab that will not require the entire Riverside portion of the resort to close. Reportedly, the Riverside rehab will begin with the Magnolia Bend mansions closing one at a time, to be followed by Alligator Bayou rooms closing in sections.

The French Quarter originally opened as the Disney's Port Orleans Resort in May of 1991. Riverside opened in 1992 as the Disney's Dixie Landings Resort. The resorts were nominally merged in 2000.

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Kadee said:
:sohappy: I'm checking in to POR July 15th!:sohappy:
Can not wait!!!!! POR is a great place. It is absolutely beautiful!

Yeah , we absolutly love this place..(can you tell from my signature?) I feel like I always need to chime in when the topic involves POR , to me it feels like a deluxe resort(although we never have stayed at one) but at a moderate price.....We go back in Sept 15-23 ....When we were there in feb the rooms in the bayou sction were in beautiful condition..this is my favorite section of the resort....the day we were supposed to go home there was a bad snow storm in RI so we had to stay 2 more nites( yeah so sad..lol) So they moved us to magnolia bend section..which is quite beautiful as well....

Upvote 0

Mr. WDB

dixiegirl said:
Yeah , we absolutly love this place..(can you tell from my signature?) I feel like I always need to chime in when the topic involves POR , to me it feels like a deluxe resort(although we never have stayed at one) but at a moderate price.....We go back in Sept 15-23 ....When we were there in feb the rooms in the bayou sction were in beautiful condition..this is my favorite section of the resort....the day we were supposed to go home there was a bad snow storm in RI so we had to stay 2 more nites( yeah so sad..lol) So they moved us to magnolia bend section..which is quite beautiful as well....

Hey Dixiegirl!
Glad to hear such positive things about POR from you. We (myself, wife, 2 daughters) are flying down from Manchester, NH on July 8th for a 7-night Disney vacation, so needless to say I'M A LITTLE EXCITED!!!:sohappy: I did a lot of research before choosing this resort and it seemed like the overwhelming amount of opinions said this was one of the best resorts at Disney, so I'm really looking forward to experiencing POR for myself! And I requested the bayou section, as many have suggested. If it's half as good as everyone says it is, I think I will be very pleased.

10 MORE DAYS!!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Mr. WDB said:
Hey Dixiegirl!
Glad to hear such positive things about POR from you. We (myself, wife, 2 daughters) are flying down from Manchester, NH on July 8th for a 7-night Disney vacation, so needless to say I'M A LITTLE EXCITED!!!:sohappy: I did a lot of research before choosing this resort and it seemed like the overwhelming amount of opinions said this was one of the best resorts at Disney, so I'm really looking forward to experiencing POR for myself! And I requested the bayou section, as many have suggested. If it's half as good as everyone says it is, I think I will be very pleased.

POR is one of my favorite resorts. I've stayed there many times and one of the things that I love is that they have a sit down restaurant for breakfast (Boatwright's) so you don't have to fight the foodcourt every morning. I happen to like the Mansion section better because it it smaller, but have stayed in they Bayou too. No matter where you are in POR, it's nice. Have a great time.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Mr. WDB said:
Hey Dixiegirl!

I;m soooo jealous! Try the banana stuffed French Toast at Boatwright's!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom