Port Orleans to test self check-in

JasonDeyoung

I stay at FQ quite frequently so hopefully this will kick in permanently soon I like the idea, will cut down check in lines as well I'd assume

willtravel

yep, not good. and the rates will keep going up yet one will get less service. pretty soon you will have to clean your own room and bring your own towels.
Actually I have done that. Stayed in POFQ and when entering the room the first thing I noticed was the ceiling fan was really dirty. Can't see using a ceiling fan encrusted with dust. I requested it to be cleaned but never happened. Cleaned myself. Same with the headboard.

AmongMadPeople

I will be very interested to see how this idea evolves. While I like and use our welcome packet, I see waiting to check-in as a waste of valuable vacation time. Even with online check-in, I think the process at the desk takes too long. If you are last off a Magical Express bus, you could be waiting in line for a while. I'd rather drop my bags off somewhere, go to the parks, and pick my welcome packet up at my convenience.

Also sounds like a good idea for people who don't want to stop at their hotel before starting their park days, if everything except room access is turned on automatically.

Vader2112

Mixed feelings. Less CMs in the furture. Also will elimate part of the Magic and lessen the guests expereince. Not sure Disny will fully go through with this as they pride themself as the example of customer service and experience.

LWB

If the test goes well and this becomes a permanent thing, my question would be whether all guests would have to check-in like this or would that just be an option? (like when you go to the airport, you can check-in by kiosk or choose to have the personal interaction with someone at the check-in counter). Seems like giving the option would satisfy those guests who would prefer skipping the counter but also satisfy those guests who enjoy a personal welcome?

Slowjack

Or...guests have been requesting this feature and Disney is trying to give them what they are asking for.
Yes, but why are they asking for it? If guests have been waiting in long lines to listen to a canned speech delivered in a monotone, I'm sure many of them would be asking for an alternative. But if the front desk experience was consistently time-efficient, friendly, and personal, how many guests would be clamoring for a kiosk? If a restaurant that used to serve people at the tables switched to a touch-screen and a pick-up window, and said that diners had requested the change, wouldn't that imply the wait staff had been terrible?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If the test goes well and this becomes a permanent thing, my question would be whether all guests would have to check-in like this or would that just be an option? (like when you go to the airport, you can check-in by kiosk or choose to have the personal interaction with someone at the check-in counter). Seems like giving the option would satisfy those guests who would prefer skipping the counter but also satisfy those guests who enjoy a personal welcome?
Considering how long online check in has been available as an option, not a requirement, I would assume that traditional check in will always be an option for those that want it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, but why are they asking for it? If guests have been waiting in long lines to listen to a canned speech delivered in a monotone, I'm sure many of them would be asking for an alternative. But if the front desk experience was consistently time-efficient, friendly, and personal, how many guests would be clamoring for a kiosk? If a restaurant that used to serve people at the tables switched to a touch-screen and a pick-up window, and said that diners had requested the change, wouldn't that imply the wait staff had been terrible?
I have never had a problem with the staff at any of the Disney resorts so that is a non-issue at least in my case.

My issue with check in it takes a non-zero amount of time.

Like many others I know, we drive down the morning of and try to make rope drop. When everything goes perfect this is no problem, but things rarely go perfectly. All it takes is a late departure, a traffic delay or any one of a million other things to throw a monkey wrench into the time line. So I am always on the lookout for ways to shave minutes.

Online check in has made this easier, but not having to go to the resort at all would be ideal. Sadly, this update still falls a little short of being able to do that as we still need our parking pass. If they can make it to where I can print it at home or have it encoded on our MagicBands, then I will be 100% on board.

JasonDeyoung

The most recent two times staying at FQ I haven't even checked in inside I was met by a cm with an iPad who checked me in. One was outside the other time was next to the fountain and it worked perfectly as I only had a carry on so I just checked it and went on my way till I got a text then went and my room was all ready. Was very easy, quick and convenient.

DotLib

Ok,not meaning to hijack this thread,but you say dont pay for the river view..which should I pay for? A preferred room or do I need to get a Royal room. 3 adults and 1 chld (just turning 5). Going November 9-16 so want to get something I keep the child happy with while mom and dad sneak away to Disney on a few days. Thank you!

shipley731

Disney should watch Hotel Impossible. Guests who see and talk with employees more often, especially within the first five minutes of a trip, are happier and more likely to come back.
I wouldn't expect the majority of folks to choose the bypass the front desk option & frankly I wouldn't expect this to be the standard operating procedure, but for people like me that stay at POR or FQ 4-6 times a year, I'm good with this being an option. When I stay at a deluxe resort, I'll probably still opt to go to the front desk.

gsimpson

I love this option, almost every time I get one of their "how did you enjoy your stay" surveys after staying on property this is one of my suggestions. I do not have any problem at all with the CMs that work the front desks at all, they do a great job by and large, but I've been down there many many times and it is unlikely they are going to give me any information I don't already know. When I arrive it is after spending a lot of time traveling and I just want to start by vacation as soon as possible, get cleaned up, to get something to eat, and start unwinding. My most recent trip in late December I was a concierge guest at Poly, check in took over an hour AND they messed up our entitlements package rather severely! For those who consider checking in part of the experience more power to you, I will be glad to stay out of your way. For me, give me an app where I can check in on line and just like at the movie theater pick out my room from a graphical display of rooms available in my class.

deix15x8

Sounds nice for those that want it. The key is options. Their is no one size fits all option for things like this. For many removing this will result in a cheapened and possibly confusing trip while for others that experience it yearly or even more often than that the removal will result in a quicker and more enjoyable experience. I know I would personally prefer to still be welcomed and interact with an actual CM, but if I went more often I believe I would get tired of it as well. I noticed that with other types of vacations as well.

psukardi

I would love an option like the following: "Would you like to just get your packet & be on your way?" I do like the manual check-in process in the event that I have a last-minute question or something comes up that can't be resolved via online check-in. That being said, after staying at a place X amount of times, I know the layout of the hotel. I know what EMH is. I know how the buses work. Please, just give me my room key & let me be on my way

asialeigh

It's more than just Port Orleans but yes. Also there won't be any kiosks. It'll be involved with online check in and those who sign up to go straight to your room.

Last edited:

asialeigh

There would always be an option. Even if you opt for "self check in" if you arrive and want to go to the front desk then by all means are allowed to.

doctornick

Am I the only one that has a problem with this? I appreciate online check in - but you still have to interact with a CM upon check in. But eliminating the need to skip the lobby is a terrible idea.

As long as it is option, why would you have a problem with it? If another guest wants to avoid going to the lobby and getting the spiel from a live CM and instead wants to go directly to his or her room and have any paperwork there, why would that be an issue?

I agree that it would be bad if they got rid of or even discouraged having face to face check in, but it sounds like this is merely going to be an option for those who want it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom