Port Orleans R or FQ?

tickerbelle

My husband and I are overjoyed that we finally saved enough money and can book our honeymoon at one of Disney's Mod. resorts. We will be going for 5 nights and are really struggling on which resort we want to stay at. We have no children and it would be just us. The hubby likes the looks of the CB while I am more drawn to PO. PO seems to have the best location and easy access to DTD by a boat. Now that I made the decision that I like PO better, I can't figure out for the life of me, which is better, Riverside or French Quarter. We want a little romance, so is there one that is more grown up. I read somewhere that PO is the only mod with hottubs. Is this true.
As you can see we need some help!

campdisney

We loved POFQ and plan to stay there again on our next trip. I really enjoyed the over-all theming. It had a romantic feel to it -- something about wrought iron is an instant throwback to a more genteel time (for me anyway). The martigras aspect of it was festive but not overdone. On the whole, I found it to be very charming! Plus we went there after a stay a Pop Century -- and the rooms seemed huge by comparison!

I also liked the layout of it better than POR. POR seemed more spread out to me when we toured over there. POFQ felt more centralized. It was a quick walk to the main building from just about anywhere on the hotel grounds. Also, POR had the multiple bus stop set up -- which I didn't realy care for at CB the year before. POFQ has a single stop location, more to my personal liking -- even though the bus still goes around to POR after picking up at POFQ. I'd rather ride than wait.

Conversely POR had a bigger gift shop with more themed items available. I felt POFR could have played up the whole FQ theme more in its stocked mechandise. POR's gift shop felt like an old fashioned country store. POFR's felt like any other Disney gift shop.

Both main pools at the hotels were enjoyable (we snuck over to swim at POR) -- but the sea serpent pool at POFQ was just fun to look at! And POFR does indeed have a hot tub. I don't remember for POR as we were only poolside for an hour there.

Have you gone to Disney online and taken the virtual tours? If you haven't yet, I would suggest doing so for both POFQ & POR. Then you can get a feel for what you might both enjoy.

Upvote 0

sensfan85

My wife and I went down for our honeymoon this past January for our first ever WDW trip and we stayed at Port Orleans French Quater. We had an absolute blast. We had such a great time we have decided to go back again for our first anniversary. POFQ was probably the most ideal resort for what we were looking for : a quiet romantic getaway. We found there weren't many kids running around at POFQ as we had anticipated so it very much felt like it was a 'adult' vacation resort for us.

Although it doesn't have its own table service restaurant, the Sassagoula Floatwork service is great and Boatwright (POR) is only a 5 minute walk away. Disney bus service starts at POFQ so, although you are on the bus for a while before you get to the parks, you are almost guaranteed a seat.

I found the hotel and service staff to be very pleasant and easy to deal with. One thing to remember : remind them it is your honeymoon you are on. I made a small comment of it being our honeymoon when we checked in and the following night when we returned from AK there was a little something waiting for us in our room.

Although we've never stayed at POR, the resort itself seems very spread out whereas POFQ was close to everything it had available. POR looks nice, but POFQ has got our repeat business. :D

Upvote 0

sandman50

We have stayed at most on site locations and still find ourselves enjoying FQ the most.The architecture and quaint city street layout always bring us back.Lots of fun just to walk around the city.(Check out the street signs.)
The boat ride downtown beats the bus always, and the walk to POR is right along the river.
So both sections are available within a short walk/boatride and both pools are fun for us.I even like the slide at Riverside.:lol:

Imho you will enjoy FQ.

rich

p.s. As said don't forget to mention it's your honeymoon when you check in.

Upvote 0

captcanada

Wow. Looks like I will be a minority here....

I have to say, beyond a doubt....PORS!!!
River side is truely breathtaking. Especially if you get a mansion room as oposed to alligator biyou (sp??)

The prices and room sizes are the same. Just a preferance for me.

The atmosphere seems much better too (around mansions).
You truely would have to put serious effort into not feeling overly romantic in such a setting. =)

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

We have so many threads on this exact same topic that you should also do a search and read through those as people argue forever the merits of each.

I am going to chime in though and say that the only moderate resort I stay at anymore is French Quarter. It is by far the most adult-oriented of all of the Disney Resorts (read: not much to do there if you are under 25). My partner and I consider it by far to be the most romantic of the moderates as well. Riverside is positively crawling with children everywhere, although they do have a restaurant which FQ does not. Still, I can't for the like of me imagine why I would want to eat at a resort restaurant when there are so many outstanding others throughout the parks and other resorts.

You will hear people writing about all the things that Riverside offers that French Quarter does not -- in my opinion that is EXACTLY what makes FQ preferable - no screaming children around the pools, no boat rentals with noisy folks around, a food court that is servicable and quiet, and beautifully landscaped grounds with lots of beautifully gardened walking paths that lead through all kinds of nooks and crannies. And that boat to downtown disney can't be beat...

Plus, POFQ gets the first bus pick-ups and drop-offs (the resorts share busses) if you plan on using the bus system. That also holds true for DME busses.

You can't go wrong with either resort -- but for an adult vacation, honeymoon, or getaway without kids, French Quarter is the place to be.

Upvote 0

Lucky

We just returned from staying 8 nights at POFQ. Bus service is better than for POR. Depending on time of day, many buses to and from MK made no stops at all. Riverside buses always make at least the 4 stops at Riverside. I visited Riverside a couple of times while my family was still sleeping, and the food court there is much more hectic than at FQ. We stayed at CB the two previous trips, and I'd consider going back there next time despite the positive experience with POFQ. There's just something about the relaxed beachy atmosphere at CB.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

We have stayed at both POR (many times) and POFQ (twice). While we really enjoyed both very much, we prefer POR. The grounds are nice for walking around, more spread out and beautifuly landscaped. At POR we always stay in the Aligator Bayou section closer to the main building.

With either one, you can't go wrong though. They are both nice resorts.

Make sure to take the boat to DTD at night, it is very nice.

Upvote 0

sbkline

We just returned from staying 8 nights at POFQ. Bus service is better than for POR. Depending on time of day, many buses to and from MK made no stops at all. Riverside buses always make at least the 4 stops at Riverside. I visited Riverside a couple of times while my family was still sleeping, and the food court there is much more hectic than at FQ. We stayed at CB the two previous trips, and I'd consider going back there next time despite the positive experience with POFQ. There's just something about the relaxed beachy atmosphere at CB.

Is it a short walk from POR to POFQ? If, for example, the bus service from Riverside isn't very good, is it just as easy to walk over to FQ and hop a bus from there?

Upvote 0

sandman50

Is it a short walk from POR to POFQ? If, for example, the bus service from Riverside isn't very good, is it just as easy to walk over to FQ and hop a bus from there?

It's not like just across a street,but a pleasent walk along the river.
Myself I've never minded sitting down for a few extra minutes.Maybe I've just been lucky but the trips through any of the resort areas haven't bothered me.
You can always ask or scout out where the first and last pickups occur and then get on or off accordingly.

rich

Upvote 0
My husband and I stayed at POR (Dixie Landings) on our Honeymoon. We have been back every year since then (10 years). I would not stay any place but POR in the mansions (Magnolia Terrace). It is beautiful.

Upvote 0

rlaeromech

Riverside

I recently stayed at Riverside and it was beautiful, I have not stayed at the French Quarter, but from what I saw at Riverside I was impressed. It is my favorite moderate!!!!

Upvote 0

Diztechie

Having stayed at both, my family and I preferred FQ. It seemed a bit more intimate, and had a closer feeling than RS. I definitely remember the long walks at RS. Also, there has always been some type of youth group staying near us when we've been to RS, and that has never happened at FQ. Probably just my luck, but maybe something to look at when making your final decision. Best of luck, you'll enjoy either choice in the end, I'm sure!

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

We have so many threads on this exact same topic that you should also do a search and read through those as people argue forever the merits of each.

I am going to chime in though and say that the only moderate resort I stay at anymore is French Quarter. It is by far the most adult-oriented of all of the Disney Resorts (read: not much to do there if you are under 25). My partner and I consider it by far to be the most romantic of the moderates as well. Riverside is positively crawling with children everywhere, although they do have a restaurant which FQ does not. Still, I can't for the like of me imagine why I would want to eat at a resort restaurant when there are so many outstanding others throughout the parks and other resorts.

You will hear people writing about all the things that Riverside offers that French Quarter does not -- in my opinion that is EXACTLY what makes FQ preferable - no screaming children around the pools, no boat rentals with noisy folks around, a food court that is servicable and quiet, and beautifully landscaped grounds with lots of beautifully gardened walking paths that lead through all kinds of nooks and crannies. And that boat to downtown disney can't be beat...

Plus, POFQ gets the first bus pick-ups and drop-offs (the resorts share busses) if you plan on using the bus system. That also holds true for DME busses.

You can't go wrong with either resort -- but for an adult vacation, honeymoon, or getaway without kids, French Quarter is the place to be.

Ummmm....WHAT RONANNARBOR said! :lol:

We loves us some French Quarter for all those reasons!

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Lucky

It's worth walking down to FQ for a us only if you're down on that end of Riverside already, and only if you're going to MK. Otherwise the bus you get on will just go on to make all the stops at Riverside. Also note that buses to water parks are reversed, stopping first at riverside and then at FQ.

Upvote 0

mhead

Everyone has their own opinion and valid reasons for liking one over the other. Personally, my wife and I have stayed in every resort but the Polynesian and Grand Floridian and POFQ is our absolute least favorite. I can't really pinpoint why - but we both found it less than spectacular.

On the other hand POR is my wife's absolute favorite! The prettiest around according to her. Me, I like the Contemporary best - tradition/nostalgia and all.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom