Port Orleans - French Quarter

todpatcam

We are taking our 4th trip to WDW this coming November; in the past we've stayed at POP, PORS, and CBR.

We are currently booked to stay at Port Orleans - French Quarter. After reading many reviews about this resort being a nice small Disney moderate resort but very outdated - we got a little concerned.

Questions: is this resort due for any updates before or during November 2011? Is there a building we should ask for or should we upgrade our reservation to a preferred building?:shrug:

Should we select a different moderate and stay at POFQ once it receives the needed updates?:shrug:

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

obrienIII

My sister (sweetpee_93) stayed there in November, and as she had posted above, all the rooms are being updated to flat screens, new bath fixtures, and queen sized beds. As the op mentioned, all the rooms should be completed this April. I stayed for a week at POFQ in May last year, and really enjoyed this resort. We stayed in building 4 which is the closest to the Main building as well as the closest to the bus stop. I enjoyed it far more than I did our trip in July to CBR. You will love your stay, I promise. Planning our trip for the end of May first of June right now, and I'm still deciding between POFQ or my favorite the Poly!

Upvote 0

LSU_Tigger

I've stayed in building 2, in 2005 before the refurb, right by the playground. It was quiet and very easy to get to the bus and pool/bar. I love this resort because it reminds me of home and we get on a bus then poof, we at a Disney park. Awesome! I think this is the stuff Walt wanted.:rolleyes: I know this will be one of your favorite resorts after staying there. Also remember that most (I said most not all) people that write reviews on tripadvisor need their sheets turned down at night and God forbid them not have new paint or a flat screen TV in their room. :eek: Hahaha The nerve of some people.

Upvote 0

pcarathers

We will be going in December 2011 and there will be 15 of us!!!
What is the bus situation like? our dad uses a wheelchair and with that big a group we're concerned about the bus situation. We;ve stayed at Riverside before and I thought we were picked up there first,...can't remember!!!!!

Upvote 0

eddiemcgarrigle

I was at POFQ back in May and it's a gorgeous resort. My missus blabbed on about so much that one of her workmates has booked up for this May.

I was in Building 6 and was lucky enough to snag a corner room. While one window looked out onto the parking area, I had a garden view from the other. Got to love those corner rooms. There is no bigger praise I can give POFQ than the fact that I will shortly be booking another visit for 2012.

Upvote 0

psdisney

We stayed at POFQ last April and loved it! Nice and quiet, food court was good and never crowded when we were there and busing was better than when we stayed at the Beach Club. My son loved the pool and everytime we look at the photobook of our trip he loves the pictures of the resort the most. We stayed in building 5 and it was about a 2 minute walk to the food court and bus station. I don't picture us staying anywhere else in the future. I don't believe we had an updated room but am looking forward to the queen beds!

Upvote 0

pcarathers

POFQ is the first stop coming and going. They also load wheelchairs first.

Yeah, we knew they loaded wheelchairs first, but werent sure if they picked up first or not.....we're not going to try to load up everyone when dad gets on....just 1 person will be boarding with him while the others stand in the regular line. We just could not remember which side picked up first.....thanks

Upvote 0

WDW 3

We stayed there Nov 09 and we were not always the first dropped off at night. Building 5 was great (courtyard side). Close to the food court and hot tub!

Upvote 0

Poirot4

I just got back last Friday and we LOVED POFQ! We saw them refurbishing rooms in one section. Our room wasn't refurbished but it was wonderful just the same. We couldn't have been happier.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

we've stayed at pofq 3 times. the last being the 1st week of dec 2010. they're doing refurbs on some of the buildings (just and fyi). the biggest negative would be if you're looking for a sit down/ts restaurant at your resort...they of course don't have anything but a food court. the biggest plus is the size of the resort. you can have a room the farthest point away from the food court, lobby, bus stop, pool areas and it's still just a short walk. otherwise it's exactly like the other moderate resorts.

Upvote 0
I just checked out the pictures of the updates. The updated rooms look great. We stayed the end of October 2010. Our stay was great and we loved the resort but..... Little things make a huge difference.

The pictures showed some much needed inprovements to the rooms. Flat screen tvs, curved shower curtain rods, Temperature controls on the wall and bigger beds.

The room we stayed in was worn around the edges. Fridge cabinet door did not open and close right. The furniture in our room was also pretty banged and scratched up. We also got some pretty thin towels. Some even had holes in them. If I were staying here soon I would absolutely request a newly remodeled room and hope for the best. Having an older room will by no means ruin your trip but it seemed a little un-Disney to us. Perhaps we are too picky

One interesting thing after we returned home We received a survey regarding our stay and our opinion of the resort. I dont ever remember getting one of those before.

Upvote 0

pixiegurl

We have stayed at POFQ several times and LOVE IT! :) We decided to try POR this last trip (Dec 2010) and there was no comparison. There were lots of tranportation issues as well as some housekeeping issues that we never had at POFQ. We also love the small size of POFQ and the fact that there is only one bus stop and you're normally the first pickup and first drop off in the loop when sharing with POR.

We will most likely be staying there on our next trip!

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

december 09 we stayed here and our room was badly in need of a makeover but we just stayed again last month and it looked like they were going building by building doing renovations when we were there just after thanksgiving into the 1st week of december 2010. we were in a room toward the water maybe two thirds of the way away from the main building our building had already been renovated and to get to the lobby, pool, food court etc we had to pass full crews of guys working on the building next to ours everyday.

Upvote 0

notslim99

My wife and I are taking our second honeymoon at POFQ in March. Has anyone stayed in a king room? I wanted to know if there was any difference. I can't wait to get there, because this will be my first time to stay on property. Also, we're from Louisiana, so we'll feel right at home. :lol:

Upvote 0

DisneyparkFreak

We stayed last april there. I had no real complaints about the resort. It is VERY small. The food court was okay.. (gotta try the bingets!), The boat to DTD was relaxing. Bus service was normal, sometimes we had to share service with PORS but 99% of the time is was exclusive to POFQ.

My only complaint is that IF there are a lot of kids staying there then it has a tendency to get pretty loud, but that is just due to the size... and only around the pool area.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
where do you catch the bus to dtd from pofq? i've stayed there 3 times and always forget about the boat.

The bus for DTD is where all the other buses are. The boat, however, docks at the very back of the resort where the river is. If you walk the length of the pool area you will see a path. The dock is right there. The boats come every 20 min or so just like the buses. The trip is very relaxing and takes around 25 minutes.

Upvote 0

Disney15

We stayed there last year and we very disappointed in the hotel. We found it very dirty and outdated. The dragon at the pool was all chipped up and pieces falling off of it. The carpeting in the room was dirty and paint was peeling of the ceiling.:veryconfu
We have stayed at all the moderate resorts, all the value resorts and a few of the deluxe resorts. We have found the Polynesian and POFQ to be the worst of all the resorts on the property.
I would recommend staying at CB or POR or even CS before this resort.
Have a great vacation.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom