"por favor mantengan si alejado de las puertas"

PagingTomMorrow

Original Poster
BRER STITCH said:
:lol:

Thanks PAGING TOM MORROW! :wave:
That's a great site. I used it and found the following:

If English speaking guests are told to "Please stand clear of the doors."...

Then Spanish speaking guests should (according to the Google translator) be told to "Por favor soporte claro de las puertas."

Yet...they are given a completely different request. Wonder why they changed it? :veryconfu

hmmm i guess that in the way dialects differ from region to region they differ even further across languages

like in english we say "my name is" in spanish its more like "i call myself"

or "i like ice cream" becomes "me gusta helado" which means "i am pleased by ice cream"

to theONEvader. the way you said it is "por favor mantenga se alejado de las puertas" technically isnt incorrect its just that the verb mantenga adresses one person and would be followed by "te" it would translate to "maintain yourself" but "mantengan se" is plural

no hard feelings

dandaman

PagingTomMorrow said:
to theONEvader. the way you said it is "por favor mantenga se alejado de las puertas" technically isnt incorrect its just that the verb mantenga adresses one person and would be followed by "te" it would translate to "maintain yourself" but "mantengan se" is plural

Your papers are due in by Wednesday. :D

HunnyPot

Testtrack321 said:
Anyone find it weird that they say menus and park maps are available in different languagues, but only in english? :p

I don't know about menus, but they do make park maps in other languages. Last time we were at Epcot, we were in line behind a family on Mission: Space. The young daughter was scared to ride, but no one in her party had ever ridden before, so we started explaining the ride to her so she wouldn't be as scared. While we were talking, the mother turned to her husband and said, "Do you speak and read spanish fluently and I didn't know it?" He was confused, and we were all listening now. He said, "No, why?" "Because you picked up the Spanish version of the park map!" :lol: She was going to read the ride description to her daughter, but couldn't. We gave them our park map since we knew our way around pretty good. (She ended up being too scared to ride. :( )

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
BRER STITCH said:
Then Spanish speaking guests should (according to the Google translator) be told to "Por favor soporte claro de las puertas."
Yet...they are given a completely different request. Wonder why they changed it?
It also has to do with the English language. Clear in English has several meanings.

So saying "stand clear" in Spanish would make as much sense as saying "stand hazy" or "stand opaque" in English !

DDuckFan130

English is, honestly, such a pain in the butt language. Different words have different meanings, which is why that simple spanish phrase can be translated in different ways because there's so many english words for it. I'm studying to be an English teacher, but I have a lot to learn still :lol:. I'm sure every Hispanic person who hears that does not get confused, whereas someone who learned spanish as a second language might get it confused.

MINECAR

Account Suspended
PagingTomMorrow said:
im sorry maybe this is kinda rude but who finds the spanish translations on the monorail to be hilarious and just part of the experience
me, it wouldn't be the same if it wasn't there:D

cuteazabutton74

I say as long as Spanish people understand what the message is trying to say then the point was made. I do remember AK having maps in Spanish and in another language (don't remember what language). I had a hard time locating an English version of the map at AK last May. I also know that MK has Spanish maps. I guess you have to look for them. As far as menu you got me there, I suggest asking GR.
Cary

poohbear6103

It's my favorite thing about the monorail. My fiancee even has a t-shirt with the saying on the back. It's isn't Disney for me until I here that on my way to MK :)

WDWcrazy626

I have the Disney monorail set around my Christmas Tree during the winter months (who would want it there just around Christmas time...use the whole winter season!!) and when you press the button on the top it says "Please stand clear of the doors...por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas. I play it over and over again. It's even in the same voice as on the actual monorail! It's great!!!

Aurora23

DisneyWales said:
I Love it, it's the tone on my phone when I receive a txt Msg, it remends me of my second home while im away.
Wait! Hold up! Where did you ever find this for your phone?!!! I am so suprised no has asked you this yet. I have Cingular, please tell me where you found this. Thanks!

siliwishes

ha ha ha ha... my brother and i love how it says it in english, then it says it in spanish as the doors are closing! if you didn't speak english, you would get squashed! and also, i got him an awesome monorail magnet on ebay that has a little button that plays that!

Shaman

DDuckFan130 said:
Mantenganse means "maintain yourself" essentially. I've heard it on several occasions outside of WDW.

I believe "por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas" is correct and is translated as "please maintain yourselves far/away from the doors." Something like that. Spanish is my first language so I should know. But I'm not 100% sure so don't tell my parents :lookaroun

In Spanish, this makes complete sense so as long as Hispanic guests understand it, that's all that matters :wave:

OMG Regina!!! You speak Spanish??? :eek:

:lookaroun

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom