POR... Bayou vs Mansion... opinions please...

tink rules

Ok.... I'm thinking of booking POR for my mom and I mid next month... surprise rush trip... good holiday bonus, etc...

Can you please let me know what you think about these two choices and are there any pros and cons to either... we won't be using the busses so I was wondering about distance from the food court, etc...

Thanks..

it398

my family all prefer the bayeau rooms as they are more rustic and have a nicer walk to the centre. none of us really like formal gardens. we usually opt for a room away from the centre and pools as they are quiter and my mum and i like the gentle stroll in the cool morning air to get the morning coffee but i know friends of ours prefer to be central so they don't have to go far.

here is a link to a map of the resort which may help you decided which room you want. one thing we found which you may want to know is that there are no elevators (or none that we found). all the buildings are a max of 2 storeys but we still had to carry our bags up the stairs. its not a problem for us as we are all able to do so and don't mind but just so you know.
http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/pofqrmap.html

enjoy

Upvote 0

davewasbaloo

Personally I prefer the Mansions. They feel like staying in something out of Gone with the Wind or the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. Also, we like the fountains and gardens. But either way, I don't think you can go wrong.

It may be my imagination, but it also felt closer to the main buildings and pool staying in the Mansions.

Upvote 0

Carolwood

Both are nice, don't think you can wrong at either. Something that may be of concern... I believe Riverside Food court is going down for a rehab, not sure of the the time frame. You may want to do a search on the forums as I thought I saw a posting about this the other day.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

Your mother will like the mansions better. Do, however, consider that the food court at POR may be undergoing a refurbishment in January.
Port Orleans French Quarter is a viable option. Also, POFQ is more compact with less walking.
Have fun. :)

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We've stayed at both, and we much prefer the mansions. I agree with others though to consider the food court rehab before you book. We always eat breakfast at Boatwright's (the sit-down restaurant) and all other meals in the parks, so for us it wouldn't be a big deal. However with the food courtr being closed, I would suspect that Boatwright's will be much busier.
You mentioned that you won't be using the busses, so I'm assuming that you'll have a car, so traveling to any other resort for meals shouldn't be that much of an issue, and could actually be a lot of fun!

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Mansions for me personally. I prefer the straight layouts and the formal gardens are my thing. I love the bayou pools though and PO Riverside is overall my favorite resort thus far!!!! I dont think you can go wrong no matter which you choose!!! Belle

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: Your mom would love the mansions. they are gorgeous. as far as being next to the food court that wont matter. I belive the food court is down for re-furb from around Jan. 2-23 or something like that. You would have to travel to FQ or the parks or other resorts. Anywhere in POR is great. I love that place. bldgs. 14-18 are real close to the food court in the bayou. have a magical trip. :xmas: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

H20Babie

come on i can't be the only one who prefers the Bayeaus am i?

Nope, I prefer the Bayou, too (says the poet :p ). The landscaping around the mansions is beautiful, but too manicured and too bare (for lack of a better term) for my own tastes. I prefer the lushness of Alligator Bayou.

Cheers,
S.

Upvote 0

tink rules

Original Poster
Well, my crazy idea is to drop everything and go for a couple of days mid Dec.. so the food court won't be a biggie for me... and I do agree that I tend to go to my favorite spots all over the resort to eat... not just my resort...

See.. .I could go for both... I love rustic and the romance of the mansions...

What a decision!!! Maybe I should just let Disney choose for me??? Naw... :lol:

Thanks much everyone!!!

Upvote 0

tink rules

Original Poster
I've stayed at the GF before so I'm wondering if the Mansion is the moderat version of that one... Minus the price and the daybed... (and the phone in the bathroom!!! :lol: )

I also go on vacation in the mountains so I like the rustic version too!!!

HELP!!!:animwink: :lol: :animwink:

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

I'm reading the preferences to help the OP, but could someone please tell me the major differences between the 2 areas of POR (in terms of noise level, view, proximity to pools, walking distance from food and busses, and anything else you want to mention). Next week, we're booking for Christmas 2007 and are staying at a moderate for the first time (usually ASM or POP). The family has decided on POR, but now we're trying to figure out the differences between the 2 areas of POR. Thanks.

Upvote 0

tink rules

Original Poster
I know that I checked out All ears when I was starting to look... maybe this will help in adition to having someone post their opinion....

Don't forget to click on the pictures... do the slideshow...it's easier to go through...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom