Pope John Paul II

Wckd Queen

I remember when the Pope came to New York shortly after assuming the Papacy. I was in Catholic high school and we had the day off. I watched the coverage of his visit on tv. He made a speech, in English, where he referred to the "sky scratchers" in the New York City skyline. He then corrected himself, saying "sky scrapers". Then he smiled and laughed at himself. The audience went crazy for him. This was a man who lived thru many heartships and trials in his life, yet never lost his faith and always maintained his grace.

While I'm somewhat of a lapsed Catholic now, I have great respect for the Pope, even though I have often found myself disagreeing with him. May God bless him.

Here is a link to his official Vatican biography. I am sure there are more colorful biographies of him out there, because he really did live a very interresting life:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/index.htm

Maria

FutureCEO said:
For us young people, the only pope we have known. Pray for his last few hours/days on earth. He will be remembered as one of the greatest Popes of the church and a great person in history. God Bless him.

Amen.

Us mexicans were the lucky ones, as his first trip out of Rome was to our country which he visited five times, more than any other one! The first trip was in January 1979, when he went straight from the airport to the Cathedral, and his devotion to the Virgin of Guadalupe was always evident. I am watching right now an interview he gave on the plane before landing in Mexico in which he says that he was very happy to come to Mexico as the first bishop to ever come - in those years, we had no relations with the Vatican. I was lucky to see him in person in my city. :)

I hope he is not suffering too much and that the next one will be as charismatic and good as Karol Wojtyla is.

Maria

LilDucky said:
I bet he isnt scared at all to pass, and I can only pray that when my time comes, that Ill be as ready as he is.

I´m sure he is not scared at all. In fact, in the news, a few minutes ago they said that there was supposedly a 'note' by him saying that he was happy and that they should be happy for him, meaning that he was ready to go.

I´m sure the doors of Paradise are wide open for when God wants him nearer Him. :)

DDuckFan130

Maria said:
Amen.

Us mexicans were the lucky ones, as his first trip out of Rome was to our country which he visited five times, more than any other one! The first trip was in January 1979, when he went straight from the airport to the Cathedral, and his devotion to the Virgin of Guadalupe was always evident. I am watching right now an interview he gave on the plane before landing in Mexico in which he says that he was very happy to come to Mexico as the first bishop to ever come - in those years, we had no relations with the Vatican. I was lucky to see him in person in my city. :)

I hope he is not suffering too much and that the next one will be as charismatic and good as Karol Wojtyla is.
You guys definitely were lucky. We're actually watching this channel Galavision that's a Televisa channel. They seem to be programming better things than the other channels here.

Maria

What bothers me is that all the anchormen and women of the news are dressed in black already! They are being so obvious! They coud have worn less dramatic outifts....

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I spent the better part of the afternoon digging out my cross. I may have stopped attending services, but I've never lost the faith.

MKCustodial

I've been saying for a long time that they needed to let him retire and rest. It was very painful watching him trying to do his regular duties, all curved and drooling... *shivers* And it has come to this. Hopefully he'll be resting soon, because he already gave all he had for the Church, and more.

ogryn

Halfling418 said:
That's not just him, that's the Catholic Church in general.

As a Catholic, I know that many people in the church do use condoms(weather I agree with them or not we won't get into), and just because the Pope doesn't agree with condom usage, doesn't mean it was prevented in Africa. He has influence, but he is also against intercourse before marriage--but did that deter the majority?

He just doesn't like artificial means to prevent pregnancy--and since that is a teaching of the church, he can't just be a hypocrite and go back on that. He has no power to force anything like that anyway.

Blaming the AIDS epidemic on the pope is ridiculous.

With all respect, I disagree, but this isn't the time or the place to take it further :)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
ogryn said:
With all respect, I disagree, but this isn't the time or the place to take it further :)

My views are similar to you, perhaps if the recent documentaries and interviews with the African cardinals, whose line manager is El Papa, and who dictates church policy, they could understand.

Again it is sad that a long drawn out death has to be played out for the 24 hour news media.

While I have my views I can understand why he has won the affection of the catholic population. What I cant understand is the news comments on how it was he who lead to the fall of communism in the Soviet republics, surely the mans achievements are sufficient not to warrant media spin?

Id like to think I played my part in that too. :animwink: And Im a Jedfi by the way. :)

ImaginEAR

At least he's no longer suffering. He's in God's hands.

Truth be told, I'm happy that he died, and I wanted him away from all that suffering and sickness. Only Pope I've ever had.

WDWScottieBoy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3305285/

Pope John Paul II dies
Roman Catholic church's leader
succumbs after lengthy illness
In his final public appearance Wednesday, Pope John Paul II gave a blessing from his studio window overlooking St. Peter's square at the Vatican.
BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 2:54 p.m. ET April 2, 2005VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II died Saturday after a prolonged illness, the Vatican announced to the world. He was 84 and had led the Roman Catholic church for 26 years — the longest term of any modern pope.

The pontiff died in his Vatican chambers after his health quickly deteriorated in recent weeks.

Before the pope's death, thousands of pilgrims had gathered on St. Peter’s Square to stand vigil, many tearfully gazing up at his third-floor window. The faithful around the world joined them in prayer.

'Placid and serene' before death
Vatican Cardinal Achille Silvestrini visited John Paul Saturday morning, accompanied by another cardinal, Jean-Louis Tauran.

“I found him relaxed, placid, serene. He was in his bed. He was breathing without labor. He looked like he lost weight,” Silvestrini said.

He said the when he and Tauran came into the room, the pope seemed to recognize them.

“The pope showed with a vibration of his face that he understood, indicating with a movement of his eyes. He showed he was reacting,” he added.

Around the world, people of different faiths had joined in prayer for John Paul.

“Catholics, fellow Christians, ... will be praying for him at this time as he comes toward the end of his extraordinary and wonderful life,” said Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor, the archbishop of Westminster and one of the most senior Catholic clerics in Britain, speaking to reporters outside London’s Westminster Cathedral.

'Man of peace'
In France, Muslim leader Dalil Boubakeur said Muslims had been praying for the pope, whom he described as a “man of peace” whose stature was a determining factor for change in the world.

In the pope’s home country, Poles gathered at churches as word spread Friday morning of his deteriorating condition.

“I want him to hold on but it is all in God’s hands now,” said 64-year-old Elzbieta Galuszko at the church where the pope was baptized in Wadowice, southern Poland. “We can only pray for him so he can pull through these difficult moments.”

The pope received the sacrament for the sick and dying on Thursday evening. Formerly called the last rites, the sacrament is often misunderstood as signaling imminent death. It is performed both for patients at the point of death and for those who are very sick — and it may be repeated.

Hospitalized twice last month following two breathing crises, and fitted with a breathing tube and a feeding tube, John Paul had become a picture of suffering.

His 26-year papacy was marked by its call to value the aged and to respect the sick, subjects the pope turned to as he also battled Parkinson’s disease and crippling knee and hip ailments.

WDWScottieBoy

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/02/world/main684865.shtml

(CBS/AP) After a swift decline in his health over the past several days, Pope John Paul II died at his apartment at the Vatican Saturday. He was 84 years old.

A Mass was scheduled for St. Peter's Square for Sunday morning.

The pope died in his private apartment at 9:37 p.m. (2:37 p.m. EST) after suffering heart and kidney failure following two hospitalizations in as many months. Just hours earlier, the Vatican said he was in "very serious" condition but had responded to members of the papal household.

St. Peter's Square was jammed with thousands of faithful who gathered to say goodbye to the man who led the Roman Catholic Church for the last 26 years.

The presence of the faithful was one reason why the pope had refused to go to the hospital, choosing instead to stay in the Vatican even though he had been told of the gravity of his medical condition, reports CBS News Correspondent Allen Pizzey.

The death of a pope triggers a mourning period as well as a gathering of cardinals to elect a successor, in what can be a lengthy process. It culminates with a vote — or up to 30 — in the Sistine Chapel.

Until then, power will be divided among a core group of Vatican officials.

Around the world, special Masses celebrated the pope for transforming the Roman Catholic Church during his 26-year papacy and for his example in fearlessly confronting death.

Hospitalized twice last month after breathing crises, and fitted with a breathing tube and a feeding tube, John Paul had become a picture of suffering.

His papacy has been marked by its call to value the aged and to respect the sick, subjects the pope has turned to as he battles Parkinson's disease and crippling knee and hip ailments. The pope also survived a 1981 assassination attempt, when a Turkish gunman shot him in the abdomen.

John Paul's health declined sharply Thursday when he developed a high fever brought on by the infection. The pope suffered septic shock and heart problems during treatment for the infection, the Vatican said.

The next pope will confront a range of challenges, including scientific advances that conflict with Catholic teaching; the decline of religious observance in Europe and North America; an explosion in church membership in the Third World; and a dwindling number of priests in the West.

After a quarter-century of John Paul's strong personality and hands-on management style, some want Vatican officials to stay out of the day-to-day operations of dioceses. Others believe officials in Rome should stay deeply involved to crack down on dissent.

Vatican observers disagree over whether there will be pressure in the conclave to return the papacy to an Italian, or whether they will want to send a signal to the burgeoning ranks of Catholics in the Third World by choosing an African or Latin American candidate.

Born in Poland in 1920 as Karol Wojtyla, John Paul secretly trained for the priesthood under Nazi occupation, lived under Communism, and contributed to the fall of the Iron Curtain by denouncing the oppression of Christians and supporting the Solidarity movement in his homeland.

John Paul unequivocally opposed pre- and extra-marital ______, homosexuality, abortion, and the use of contraception.

His opposition to the ordination of women as priests was a major point of contention for many liberal Catholics, as was the Vatican's slow response under his leadership to ______ scandals around the world, especially in the United States.

At the same time he won praise, especially but not exclusively among conservatives, for his unwavering position that Catholic beliefs - for example on the sanctity of life - are not subject to popular opinion.

John Paul was the first pope to publicly ask forgiveness for the Church's past sins - including mistreatment of Jews and other non-believers.

"For the role that each one of us has had, with his behavior, in these evils, contributing to a disfigurement of the face of the Church, we humbly ask forgiveness," said the pontiff on the altar at St. Peter's five years ago, in remarks some hailed as a landmark but others thought fell short of the mark in not specifically mentioning the Holocaust.

The pope's last battle began with a heart attack on March 31. He was revived, but the Vatican said he suffered from septic shock, a urinary tract infection and a high fever.

He was not shy about anticipating his own death, saying in a "Letter to the Elderly" issued in 1999: "I find great peace in thinking of the time when the Lord will call me: from life to life!"

"When the moment of our definitive 'passage' comes," said the pontiff, "grant that we may face it with serenity, without regret for what we shall leave behind."

WDWScottieBoy

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/02/pope.dies/index.html

Pope John Paul II dies at 84
Saturday, April 2, 2005 Posted: 3:09 PM EST (2009 GMT)

(CNN) -- John Paul II, whose 26-year reign as the charismatic leader of the world's 1 billion Roman Catholics was highlighted by visits to 129 countries, died Saturday. He was 84.

The pope -- known for his energy, intellectualism and activism on the global stage -- died Saturday night at his apartments in the Vatican. His health had been deteriorating severely for several weeks and he had battled Parkinson's disease and crippling arthritis for years.

The Vatican said Saturday morning that John Paul II had slipped in and out of consciousness after his heart and kidneys started to fail after a urinary tract infection.

Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said that despite his precarious health, the pope had decided to remain in his residence at the Vatican, rather than returning to Gemelli hospital in Rome, where he had been hospitalized twice since February.

He was administered the sacrament of anointing the sick, formerly known as last rites or extreme unction, on Thursday night.

Pilgrims, tourists and Italians filled St. Peter's Square on Saturday, hours after tens of thousands of people packed the vast space in a nighttime vigil.

Friday night, thousands of people gathered in Krakow, Poland -- where John Paul served as archbishop before becoming pope -- at the archbishop's residence, many carrying candles and crying. People in the crowd prayed and sang for their fellow Pole.

"To Polish people, he is an icon," said Alicja Kapusciarz, a Polish-American woman in Washington.

Lengthy reign as pope
Rising from humble beginnings in pre-World War II Poland, he was the most widely traveled pope in history and was the first to visit the White House, a synagogue and communist Cuba.

Only two of his 263 predecessors served longer than he did -- St. Peter, the first pope, and Pius IX in the 19th century.

Supporters and critics alike agree on the immense significance of his papacy.

He played a key role in the fall of communism and brought the Catholic message in person to an unprecedented number of people.

He drew enormous crowds in his public appearances and was known for his courage and integrity.

A profoundly conservative leader, he reaffirmed many of the church's stances on issues such as abortion, homosexuality and the role of women in the church.

Despite criticism, he remained unwavering on those and other stances, including his preference for centralized authority within the church, which some saw as hindering a move toward a more democratic church.

Chronic illnesses
The pope suffered from severe hip and knee ailments and Parkinson's disease, a progressive neurological disorder that can make breathing and swallowing difficult.

On February 24, doctors performed a tracheotomy to help him breathe, as he struggled to recover from a bout of flu that hospitalized him.

On Wednesday, a feeding tube was put down his nose into his stomach to provide additional nutrition.

The feeding tube was inserted shortly after the pope's regular weekly audience, where he appeared at the window of his study overlooking St. Peter's Square for about four minutes.

Unable to speak, he used hand gestures to bless thousands of people who gathered for a glimpse of him.

On Easter, the pope also tried to speak to the crowds but could not get out the words. Ill health forced him to miss several events during Holy Week preceding Easter.

Papal legacy
John Paul was born Karol Jozef Wojtyla on May 18, 1920, in Wadowice, Poland.

After his ordination as a priest in November 1946, he rose steadily through the church hierarchy, becoming archbishop of Krakow in 1964.

He was elevated to cardinal in a secret consistory in 1968 and formally installed in a Vatican ceremony days later.

Despite his reputation as a formidable theologian and fearless defender of Catholic interests, his election as pope October 16, 1978 -- the first-ever Slavic pope and the first non-Italian to occupy the post in 455 years -- came as a surprise.

So too did the energy and determination he brought to his papacy, never letting health issues get in the way of his travels.

Not even an attempted assassination in 1981 kept him down. A Turk named Mehmet Ali Agca shot him twice. The pope recovered and later met Agca in prison and personally forgave him.

He re-established the Vatican's diplomatic relations with Great Britain and the United States, as well as with Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization.

He delivered more than 2,000 public addresses and issued countless numbers of encyclicals and apostolic letters, making him one of the most active men ever to occupy the papal see. He canonized 482 saints, more than any other pontiff, and created 232 cardinals.

His papacy was divided into two distinct halves.

"In the first 10 years his great concern was with communism," said Warsaw-based Catholic commentator Jonathon Luxmore. "Since then his focus has been more on the ills of Western society."

John Paul's role in the fall of communism was a subtle but crucial one. His visit to Poland in 1979 and his support for the Solidarity movement were key in the chain of events that led to the eventual crumbling of Gen. Wojciech Jaruzelski's regime 10 years later.

His stand against what he saw as the moral failure of Western capitalism, however, was notably less successful.

Although his outspoken views on human rights gained him many admirers, his preaching in such areas as sexual mores, science and the role of women in the church alienated many liberal Catholics.

"He was what you might call a revolutionary conservative," said Giovanni Ferro, editor of the Rome-based Catholic magazine Jesus.

"In some areas he was very forward-minded. In others, however, he was an extremely traditionalist pope. He maintained all sorts of opposing currents in the church, with the result that his successor will probably be faced with a great crisis of direction."

Who that successor will be remains to be decided by the College of Cardinals, which will meet at the Vatican in the coming days to select the next pope.

Whoever it is will struggle to make his mark, succeeding as he does one of the longest-serving and most contentious figures in papal history.

"One thing is for certain," Luxmore said. "[John Paul II] is going to be a terrifically hard act to follow."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom