Pop Warner in November?

anna&eric

When scheduling our most recent trip we chose October 28th to November 5th instead of our usual December vacation. We chose this time for two reasons: 1, to attend Mickey's Halloween party and 2, to avoid the Pop Warner cheerleader invasion.

We stayed at All Star Music and things were fine until the last 2 days. A fair size group of cheerleaders, though older than our previous experiences, arrived. They claimed the smoking area as their personal practice spot, ostensibly so the coach could LIE DOWN on the bench and puff away in between bouts of screaming to rival any pageant mother on Toddlers in Tiaras. And trust me, you have not experienced disturbing until you have seen the gyrating routine to Down With the Sickness.......

Now I am not someone who feels I should have complete exclusivity to my resort or my time in the parks. However, over the years we have run into these groups in the parks and worst of all at our stays at Port Orleans Riverside. The kids monopolized the hot tub, over-ran the pool and the chaperones were busy fully enjoying the pool-side bar. They practiced cheering until dawn on the walkways outside our room and polite requests for quiet were ignored.

I realize they spend their money too and have a right to be there, I just chose to not share my vacation with them if possible. Therefore my question is: Is there a new generation or group of cheer-leading competitors or is Pop Warner running more than one competition? Before I begin planning a 2013 vacation I would like to know what time slots to black-out......

Mukta

I am not familiar with November, but here is some info on other dates from mousesavers.com
http://www.mousesavers.com/walt-dis...asked-questions-about-walt-disney-world/#busy

Cheerleeding/Twirl/Dance Competitions – Various dates each year, especially January-March. These usually don’t have a lot of impact on the in-park crowds. The issue is that the Value resorts (All-Stars and Pop Century) play host to hordes of girls who can be extremely loud, so you may want to avoid those resorts during competitions. Some events take place at Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular in Disney’s Hollywood Studios, so that attraction might be closed. Some of the competitions and events include College Cheerleading & Dance Team National Championships (January 18-20, 2013), National Dance Team Championship (February 2-3, 2013), National High School Cheerleading Championship (February 9-10, 2013), Twirlmania (February 15-18, 2013), Contest of Champions Nationals (March 1-3, 2013), International All Star Cheerleading Championship (March 9-10, 2013), All Star Cheerleading and Dance Worlds (April 27-29, 2013).

Upvote 0

sgtmgd

Disney also sponors the largest Youth Soccer College Showcase tournement in the country..the girls dates are always over News Years,,so there are thousands of players and hundreds of Coaches there over that week

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I have only run into a band competition group once. I had absolutely not a problem in the world with speaking to the Manager of the resort on duty and letting him know about the noises that kept waking me up the previous evening. He apologized and informed me that if I did hear it again to please contact hotel security and they would take care of it. I came back to my room later that night and Security was out patroling the buildings in force. I understand the kids are there to have fun too, but intruding on other people just isnt cool like that. I hope your trip is a great one!!! Marie

Upvote 0

anna&eric

Original Poster
These girls looked to be high school freshman, which is much older than our previous Pop Warner experience. They were only there our last two days - one in the parks and the day we checked out so we didn't see them much. Our experience has been far worse with the coaches and supposed chaperones than with the kids. The smoking area is a completely inappropriate spot to conduct a rehearsal. And for the coach to lie down and take an entire bench for herself was inexcusable. A fine example for the adults of tomorrow.....

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

Pop Warner football and Cheerleading championships are always the first week in December. Try checking the Wide World of sports website, they will list any events that are scheduled to take place.

Upvote 0

awesomeinabox

Therefore my question is: Is there a new generation or group of cheer-leading competitors or is Pop Warner running more than one competition? Before I begin planning a 2013 vacation I would like to know what time slots to black-out......
Let me start by saying I coach competitive youth cheerleading and spend hours with these girls every week... I totally get how they could ruin a vacation, sometimes they ruin my trips to the grocery store.

There are several youth cheer organizations and most of their competitions happen in early December. American Youth Cheer, United Youth Cheer, and Pop Warner Youth Football & Cheer all have their competitions in December, unfortunately ASM is the main resort for Pop Warner Cheer.

If you didn't enjoy the "PW experience" I would also avoid anything labeled All Star Cheer. These girls are like Pop Warner kids but on crack and usually compete April 27-28. AVOID THESE DATES LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Lucky for you guys most cheer comps have moved to Universal in the last few years.

You should be safe with the high school girls, they are obnoxious but actually listen to their coaches as opposed to the Pop Warner kids.
On a side note I know what team you are talking about and passed their coach chain smoking outside of the gym last week... your description made my night.

Upvote 0

anna&eric

Original Poster
They arrived November 3rd. With the current "crucify all smokers" attitude in this country we couldn't believe this woman had the girls practicing in the smoking area. While it is true it greatly inconvenienced the displaced smokers, it is reasonable to assume someone would be concerned about the girls inhaling all that second-hand smoke!! :p

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom