Pop Century

wannaBatWDW

I think it is a terrific resort.....visually and functionally. They made small improvements over the other value resorts, the All Star Resorts. My family and I stayed there back in February 2004, just a couple months after it opened. We were in the 80's building and had a view of Hourglass Lake.

One thing that always bothered me at the All Star resorts was sharing buses with the other All Star resorts. Coming to or leaving the resort it always seemed like you had to waste extra time riding around on the bus making extra stops at the other resorts. Kinda like riding the 'local'. Pop Century doesn't share buses with other resorts like that. It's more like riding the 'express'.

You'll love it! Enjoy!

P.S. You'll notice in my signature I'm going back to All Star Sports this coming summer. After my comments, you may wonder why. It's because my 8 year old son has never been there and it's his desire to stay in the Homerun Hotel there. We tried to convince him to go back to Pop but he's "been there - done that" and at his age sports is a big deal. Can't blame him, so I didn't fight it.

Upvote 0

Deano1986

I'm also staying at Pop Century this may (dad's 50th bday). Do you happen to have any pics from your trip. You mentioned being in the 80's section, do you remeber which building and/or room #? My dad loves pac-man, and We'll probably request, that section, the corner closest to classic hall. Can't wait!

I've stay at All-Star Sports several times with my mom, and the last trip I remeber, we stayed in the Home Run Hotel section. Yes, it was far away, but it was my favorite.

Dean

Upvote 0

yazmin182

There are plenty of other threads on the subject of the value resorts and Pop Century. I think Pop Century is def. the best value resort. It's new which is always a plus, it has a fun theme and great pools. I love Pop, I've stayed there twice and i'm sure I will stay there again.

Upvote 0

imamouse

Pop is my favorite value resort. It's a little 'over the top' with bright colors, but that doesn't bother me. It has great appeal for children and there are soft surface water play areas which are nice for the kiddies.

I perfer the 70s bldgs - they are close to the bus stop (go out the back and thru the parking lot) and to the food court. Plus, I dislike pool noise and the 70s bldgs do not have a pool. These bldgs also offer a view of hourglass lake (from certain rooms).

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

Much of the elements found in the themeing at Pop grate on me for some reason. For themeing, I give a nod to the All Star resorts. In every other respect, I prefer Pop. It's newer, better laid out, and cheaper than the All Stars since it is in a different county with a lower hotel tax. I especially prefer the lobby and the food court.

Upvote 0

wannaBatWDW

I'm also staying at Pop Century this may (dad's 50th bday). Do you happen to have any pics from your trip. You mentioned being in the 80's section, do you remeber which building and/or room #? My dad loves pac-man, and We'll probably request, that section, the corner closest to classic hall. Can't wait!

I've stay at All-Star Sports several times with my mom, and the last trip I remeber, we stayed in the Home Run Hotel section. Yes, it was far away, but it was my favorite.

Dean
I'll try to find a couple pix that show the view from our room and post them. I may be able to find the bldg & room numbers. I know we were on the third floor and it had the huge Walkman by the elevators. To the right I recall looking out over Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head to the lake. To the left was the computer pool and the 90's bldg. Straight across from us was the other 80's building with the Roger Rabbit. It was kinda the furthest 80's corner from the classic hall, but we cut through the 90's parking lot to get directly to the bus stops.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

I love staying at POP CENTURY and will do it again on my next trip.

In addition to what others have mentioned, it has - BY FAR - the best food court area of any resort at WDW.

HAVE FUN!

:wave:

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

Here are some of my pictures, taken in June 05. They are arranged by decade.
http://community.webshots.com/user/popcentury

Since then, I've stayed at Pop three times, and love it! I was probably in the furthest room from the food court last Jan, and even still, it was less than a five minute walk from the room to the food court/gift shop/bus stops. IMHO, the place is laid out very well, and I love the walking path around the lake. There are just so many photo ops around the place, and I love the music they play there, it's decade specific depending on where you are walking through the resort. The 80's pool was my fave....uncrowded, and best soundtrack playing in the area.

Have fun! And make sure you have a frozen coke with a slice of tye dye cheesecake for me!

Upvote 0

bayoutinkbelle

I stayed at Pop for the first time in October. Loved it and will stay there again and again. In fact, I'll be in the 60s building on Jan. 19! :D

Click on my trip report link for a few pics I took in October. We were in the 50s building facing Hourglass Lake. The view was great (despite the unfinished portion in the background) and we had fun watching all the ducks. The theming in the 50s rooms didn't grab me too much, but that didn't bother me. Overall, I absolutely love the theming at the hotel.

I can't wait to wake up Saturday morning and get some waffles from the food court! :slurp:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=110903

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

We have stayed at all the value resorts, they are all nice, but the best is of course POP. Why,well a few reasons, 1 it's new, 2 it has it's own buses, 3 the theming is over the edge, 4the food court/store is much better stocked with alot more items and food. And even though it is much more spread out, I've found it to be somewhat more quiet than the All Stars. Now it is larger but I don't mind the walk, because we get to walk by so many icons from the past.:animwink:

Upvote 0

Camille59

I have to agree with all of the rest of the answers. By far Pop excels the other value resorts. There's something there for all ages to enjoy. From the youngest at heart to the youngest in age, I think everyone enjoys taking time to look back at times gone by. There are elevators if you get a second or third floor room. You can request a special area when you check in that would get you near the food court and bus stops. The resort is close to MGM, Epcot and Downtown Disney. It should be about a 15-20 minutes bus ride to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom depending on the time of day.

WARNING however:As a bus driver I have experienced this first hand. Since it is a very popular value resort it also encurs the longest wait times at the bus queue lines at closing, especially during the summer and at Magic Kingdom. To avoid waiting in line at the end of the day, I would suggest that you either be at the load zone before the fireworks start or leave before the start. If this does not work for you, stay inside the park for at least 20 minutes, then stroll out to the bus stop. By this time, it should be less crowded. If neither of these ideas work, there are benches near the bus stop which you can use. You decide what works best for you and your family.

Upvote 0

KimviG

I loved POP

I'm kinda sad I wont be staying at POP again. My son is 3 now so we are going to do POR with a trundle so we can fit our family of 5 in one room. I'm worried the kids won't like POR as much as POP because it isn't as visually aesthetic for the kids. Oh well I'm excited about trying it out.

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

Think Super 8, Disney Style. Our family loved it but we also love tent camping. The rooms are small and open directly to external walkways (instead of interior halls). The furnishings are standard - no fine furniture, luxurious linens, or plasma TVs. There is no fancy restaurant. It holds a lot of people, so you feel surrounded by a lot of people. If your family is accustomed to Hilton or Hyatt or Marriott or another one of the finer hotels, you might be disappointed.

But again, we loved it during our stay and the money we saved allowed us to stay an extra day or two. It definitely has its advantages as well - refer to posts above. Those, plus the great theming make up for any Super 8 feel, in our book. Just don't want you to be surprised at the type of accomodation it is.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom