Pop Century Themed Areas

Woozle

My girlfriend and I are heading down to WDW for a week and staying at Pop Century. We know that we're not guaranteed any specific area for our room location, but we were thinking of requesting the 60's theme. We both have never been to Pop and were wondering what are some of your favorite areas and pros/cons of them. (ie: closer to buses) Thanks!

pescador1f

Pop

I am originallt from L.I. also, anyway....as long as you are not facing a parking lot, i have been given these rooms before and asked for another. I have stayed in 50's twice, 1 pool view and 1 lake/unfinished Pop Century Resort view. Last I stayed in 60's facing the kiddie pool. All is good i would say as long as you are not looking at a parking lot. Have fun!!!! Go look at the huge turtles in the lake from the bridge out back, pretty cool.

Upvote 0

krankenstein

I've stayed in the 90's, 80's, 70's, and 50's. My preference is the 70's, It is the only section without a pool in the middle (which cuts down on noise), it is also a VERY short walk to Everything Pop. That comes in handy in the morning or when you want to run in for a refill. It is a short walk to the buses too.

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

Rembember, the 60s section is a preferred section...

I would suggest going with the 70s...it's close, but it's not all prefered. Also, the 80s isn't too bad as you can walk across the parking lot to get to to the main building and the bus stops.

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

They do have standard rooms in the 60s. The preferred rooms are scattered between the 50s, 60s, and 70s.
Ooh...this I did not know...I thought all 60s was preferred.

so you mean there is hope for me to be in the 60s without paying extra money? That means that I could end up in all 5 areas this next trip? This makes me excited...:lol:

Upvote 0

krankenstein

Ooh...this I did not know...I thought all 60s was preferred.

so you mean there is hope for me to be in the 60s without paying extra money? That means that I could end up in all 5 areas this next trip? This makes me excited...:lol:

Yep, I thought the same thing at first. I was educated by Rob I think. :lol:

I think the standard rooms in the 60s are very limited, but they exist.

Upvote 0

Woozle

Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys! We seem to like the 60's theme the best (followed by 70's) and the locations seem convenient enough. So we'll hope for the best when we check in.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

We have stayed at POP twice in the 50's section.
The theming for each section is very colorful & fun.
For example, the 50's section has sock hoppers, Lady & the Tramp character statues, bowling pins, etc. (the pool is shaped like a bowling pin)
The 60's section has flowers, The Jungle Book character statues, etc.
The 70's section has a Big Wheel, Mickey phone, etc.
The 80's section has a Rubik's cube, etc.
The 90's section features computer stuff, etc. (there is a huge keyboard that you can walk on beside the pool)
It's all very eye catching.
We had lots of fun exploring all of the different areas there.
:wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess2

You can request what building you stay in? I don't know if this is a dumb question but what is the difference between preferred rooms and standard rooms?....just the price and view? Also, I am going to POP in June with a group of 12 people (3 rooms) Could we still request which building we want to stay in? Or is the chance of us getting our request slim to none?

Upvote 0

Rob562

Yep, I thought the same thing at first. I was educated by Rob I think. :lol:

I think the standard rooms in the 60s are very limited, but they exist.

Yup. Only 2/3 of the rooms in the 60's buildings are Preferred. The standard ones are on the back "angle" facing the lake, away from the main courtyard.
Overall, 50% of the Preferred rooms are in the 60's. The other 50% are in the 50's and 70's buildings. (In the "legs" of the buidlings that are closest to Classic Hall)

And to DisneyPrincess, when you make your reservations, have whoever you make your reservation with (travel agent, Disney reservations call center CM, etc) make a note of your requests. They are in no way guaranteed, but it can't hurt to ask. When you check in, make sure to remind the CM of your preferences. If you haven't been assigned a room that meets your requests, the CM at check-in might be able to re-assign you. (Best to bring it up early in the process, as they usually don't give you your room number until the end of the process. By that time they've already printed up your room keys, and they'd have to create a new set if they change your room assignment)

Also, be aware that the more specific you are with your requests, the less likely you are to have them fulfilled. You mentioned you'll have three rooms. Is it important to have them all right next to each other, perhaps with two of the rooms connecting? If so, there may not be any set of rooms in your desired building/decade that meet that criteria. But if you're OK being spread out as long as you're all in the same building/decade, then you have a better chance.

Just make sure that you let them know your order of preference. Which would you rather have if only allowed one: all rooms together, or your choice in decade?

Oh, and the difference between standard and preferred at the Values is strictly based on location. Preferrerd rooms are typically the most convenient to the food court and the main pool area. Standard rooms are everything else. Inside the room there is no difference between standard/preferred.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom