Pop Century Opening This Year!!

tommy112973

Original Poster
I just read in the Orlando Sentinal that the Pop Century resort is to open sometime this year, not specific date is set, but heck, its about time!!!

With it being delayed so long, is there anyone out there excited out this place????

Tommy

gjpjtj

Don't make reservations just yet..........

This doesn't look promising! Here is a quote from the article:

"At the other end of the pricing spectrum is the long-delayed Pop Century Resort at Disney World. The 5,700-room budget hotel was originally supposed to open in 2001. That debut was delayed until 2002 and is now scheduled for an unspecified time in 2003. Disney officials won't name a probable month.

That's because they would almost certainly have to hire at least 2,000 new employees to operate Pop Century, other hoteliers estimate. That seems unlikely to happen at a time when Disney World is sometimes hard-pressed to find enough work for its current 50,000-plus workers to do between holidays.

So Pop Century's opening may well have to await a complete travel recovery, or it could come as a bellwether signal that Disney's confidence in the near future is soaring."

You can read the whole article here. :(

WDWspider

This may sound crazy, but it seems like Disney could really shine here by actually having a price break on park tickets were everyone else is rising. I mean if they gave all resort guests special rates on tickets it should attract more people. The more people the more money is spent overall, and the more likely a need for the Pop Century. Does this make any sense or am I nuts.

Tim G

Originally posted by tommy112973
I just read in the Orlando Sentinal that the Pop Century resort is to open sometime this year, not specific date is set, but heck, its about time!!!

With it being delayed so long, is there anyone out there excited out this place????

Tommy

That's right........ I've read it too......

But............

There a big difference between an announcement
and a REAL opening..........

They didn't say what month

LOL

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It is being offered in some UK travel company brochures. Not that that means anything as they were still taking bookings for CBR when it was closed for refurb. Mind you if you book and it dosent open will they give a free upgrade?

Testtrack321

Is it all that hard to go to laid off or going to be laid off CM's saying 'Hey, we're going to open PC finally! But you might/have be/been laid off, so here's your chance to stay. If you want to help us work at lifeguard, foodworker, custodial, house keeping, etc, just tell us."

Is it that hard?

celticdog

Originally posted by spider-man
This may sound crazy, but it seems like Disney could really shine here by actually having a price break on park tickets were everyone else is rising. I mean if they gave all resort guests special rates on tickets it should attract more people. The more people the more money is spent overall, and the more likely a need for the Pop Century. Does this make any sense or am I nuts.

I couldn't agree more. Why aren't there more discounts, more frequently? Even a discounted room is making more money than an empty room. I'm not saying Disney should undercut their break-even point, but deeper discounts will attract more people, who will spend more money, who will come back more often and spend more money, and so on, and so on, and so on...........

FLcastmember

Originally posted by crazygirley
Hopefully it opens soon, It's such a teaser, I am dying to check it out!!!:lookaroun

Just go check out the ALL-STAR Resorts, Pop Century is a cookie cutter of these hotels. Same buildings, same shapes, same main building, they even used the same blue prints for some stuff.

only thing different will be big yo-yo's and cell phones instead of basketballs and surf boards.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by FLcastmember
only thing different will be big yo-yo's and cell phones instead of basketballs and surf boards.

Will the big cell phones getter better reception than my Sprint PCS? Boy I sure hope so... :lol: ;)

ToTBellHop

if you have a room booked for a resort that doesn't open on time, yes, you get a free upgrade. We had Pop Century booked for Feb. 2002 and ended up with a deluxe savannah view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge for about $145/night...needless to say, we were thrilled:)

Michael72688

But Disney is only cheaper by about $2, I dont know, maybe it's true, and maybe this year it will open! I saw something on the news about some major convetions coming to Orlando and when they come there wont be enough hotel rooms in the area to accomodate, so maybe the opening of this hotel, could really be a good thing

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by Testtrack321
Is it all that hard to go to laid off or going to be laid off CM's saying 'Hey, we're going to open PC finally! But you might/have be/been laid off, so here's your chance to stay. If you want to help us work at lifeguard, foodworker, custodial, house keeping, etc, just tell us."

Is it that hard?

The Sentinel article actually has little to do with finding workers and more to do with how far Disney wants to get caught with their pants down if conflict erupts in the middle east or there is another 9/11 type incident in America.

Disney has been under what appears to be a hiring freeze since the week before Thanksgiving just for that reason. It is my understanding that they are hiring part-time and seasonal people when needed but not filling fulltime openings unless it is mission critical. If they were to decide to open Pop Century, first dibs on those jobs goes to people already working for Disney who want a transfer.

Also, I was working for Disney during the cutbacks and they were jsut that, cutbacks. Other than some live performers and other more technical type positions, no one was laid off. Instead there were cut backs in weekly hours from 40+ to 32 for a lot of cast members. But even this was within reason as Disney only guarantees full time employees 30 hours per week.

niteobsrvr

This would be a great idea for any park who isn't the leader of the pack. However, in order to get people to pay the higher prices, they have to be able to perceive that there is a value in Disney that can't be found at other parks. If you lower the prices drastically, you start to look just like the six flags organizations, etc.

An extreme example of this philosophy comes into play with luxury automobiles. You never ever see the owner of a BMW or Mercedes dealership on the TV promoting their 3 day only year end blowout sale. It just doesn't fit with their marketing appeal and target audiences.

Disney isn't really interested, as much as we all hate to think it, in the working class family of America that has to save 4 years to come to Disney. Sure they treat people in the same manner regardless of how you get there. But their bread and butter comes from the people who can drop 4 grand plus every year or two on a vacation filled with all the magic their credit cards will get them.

It seems that The ALL-Star Resorts and eventually Pop Century might be aimed at the lower end spender. But when you really think about it, they are still expensive for the average working class family of 4. Sure they make it easier to attain a Disney vacation. This is what DIsney counts on so that as this family moves up the income ladder they will remember the great times they had at DIsney and want to come back again with the ability to purchase even more of the Magic.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by Michael72688
But Disney is only cheaper by about $2, I dont know, maybe it's true, and maybe this year it will open! I saw something on the news about some major convetions coming to Orlando and when they come there wont be enough hotel rooms in the area to accomodate, so maybe the opening of this hotel, could really be a good thing

There are plenty of Hotel Rooms in Orlando just not the right kind. Nearly all of Orlando's rooms are set up for the family on vacation to enjoy all the city has to offer. The convention groups that Orlando would like to attract are looking for up scale things like in room fax machines, business services, work space, etc.

Orlando would actually need thousands of these upscale rooms to litterally be built over night to attract the conventions they are looking for at this time. On the other hand, some hotels on I-drive could see the POP as an opportunity to upgrade their rooms to meet the new demands of the conventions as their customers move to Disney Property.

Pop Century will not fix this problem nor will the Ritz-Carlton/J.W. Marriott that will open this summer. The other Hotels that are on the drawing board for the convention center area probably wont get off to a good start any time soon and therefore not be completed until 2005 or 2006. This will likely cost Orange County millions in missed convention opportunities.

lamarvenoy

Disney only allows a certain number of rooms at the passholder rate whether the hotel is empty or full. Thats pretty stupid, even at the last minute in a hotel that's half empty you won't be able to squeeze them. I spend ALOT of money every year at Disney like many others here,I feel they should honor the discount prices even if only at the last minute just to fill the rooms with bodies.On a brighter note I manipulated the system at Orbitz to get the hotel I wanted cheap. I got the Palace at DD for $82!

Imagineer Jer

Originally posted by tommy112973

Tommy

Hey!
Well I don't hope it takes another year to open that baby up! I can't wait to actually see all the things it has to offer. I think it will be a great hotel!

Gaston1

I can almost guarantee they will not open it until the economic clump is over. With fewer cheap hotel rooms available, people will have to spend more money on the moderate resorts like Carribean Beach and Port Orleans. By the way, my family stole a parking cone from Pop Century on last years trip. Those were the days.:sohappy:

ToWeroFTerRor67

What makes you think you know everything about Economics. You just joined and you think your so smart. Sickening! And what kind of person steals a parking cone. And your family condoned it. You disgust me.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by ToWeroFTerRor67
What makes you think you know everything about Economics. You just joined and you think your so smart. Sickening! And what kind of person steals a parking cone. And your family condoned it. You disgust me.

Nothing against your argument...but didn't you just join, as well?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom