Pop Century is Far Out!

Invero

I was privledged enough to get a tour of Pop Century today. Let me just say, WOW. This resort is impressive. It is soooo groovy! LOL I have a photographic memory, but I left my film at home, so I'll see what I can recall.

Construction Crews are putting up the sign at the main entrance. They started yesterday, and Im guessing they will finish today or tomorrow.

As I was driving to the main building, I got to see some of the decorated buildings. They're really not as tacky as one might think, after seeing them on the highway.

Bus stops are at the Main Building. They are very similar to All-Stars, but have slightly more shelter.

Classic Hall is the main building. Although the outside of the building is brightly colored, the insides of Pop Century are very subdued. Lots of browns, blues, grays, and mustard. It works well. It houses the front desk area, the arcade, and the merchandise/food court area, named "Everything POP." You walk into this area, and it starts off as the Merchandise Shop. Walk further, and it becomes the Food Court. The food court itself is HUGE. Tons of tables, lots of soda fountains, and it looks like there will be a massive selection of food.

The Front Desk area is called "Memory Lane" because on the walls are glass boxes with all sorts of pop icons from the past 50 years. Just walking down, I could point to a few things and say, "I had one of those!!!" Behind the front desk are enlarged photos from the past 50 years. Very nicely done.

The front desk will have THIRTY stations, which include Guest Services, and Check In/Out. There is also a separate kids room in the lobby, with couches, toys, and a 60's themed big screen TV. Lil trivia factoid: Pop Century will have the largest luggage room on property.

Just outside the main area is the 60's buildings, and the Hippie Dippie Pool. There are two other pools, one shaped like a bowling pin, and another as a computer monitor.

Everything is VERY close to the main building. We walked over to the 50's to see the demo room, and it was really close. I think the furthest building might be a 5 minute walk to the front, if that.

The rooms themselves are similar to the All-Stars - but modified. They looked at the All-Stars, and made them better. A few changes include:

• Lowered night stand - so that you won't hit your head on it when sleeping
  • Data port near the table for your laptop
  • BAR SOAP with separate shampoo
  • Redesigned sink area
  • In room safe that can hold laptop
  • Fitted bed sheets
  • Modernized climate control panel
  • Beds are mounted on pedestals, so that you can't loose things under them.
  • Curtains overlap, so that NO light will get in.

Cast member costumes will be very plain. Either gray and white, or dark blue with mustard top. They look very nice. Instead of golf carts, cast members will drive around on '57 Chevy styled carts, complete with Fuzzy Dice.

For those of you who have reservations for Pop Century -- It is one swingin' resort, and you will have a groovy time!

For those of you knocking Pop Century -- wait until it opens, and you actually experience it before knocking it. It really is a fabulous resort, give it the chance it deserves.

Steven Lofgren

POP CENTURY

My wife and I have reservations for PC in april 04.I am looking even more forward to staying in this resort now that I have seen more detailed pictures of it.This was my choice this time on where we stay. My wife has chosen the five times we have gone before and she is a moderate/deluxe type of person. I chose PC because the theming is so geared towards the things I remember as a kid especially the big wheel and rubix cube. Also I think that the All Stars and POP Century carry out the Disney Magic moreso than the other resorts that I have stayed at,CBR,AKL,POFQ. I have only stayed at an All Star resort one night [early arrival] but I was in awe of all the sights and sounds they have to offer. I just love the giant icons and theming. I spent the first hour at ASmo playing with the popcorn light above the table in the room. My wife says that I am easily amused LOL.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Re: Re: Re: Pop Century is Far Out!

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
I have rumors of some of at least 1 deluxe resort (yacht and beach club) getting wired, but nothing substancial. Still all rumored tho I'd love an ethernet or 802.11 connection available.

Oh man!! That would be great!... for all the resorts to have WAP! *drool*

*EDIT!(WAP=Wireless Access Points... NOT a derogatory word for people of Italian heritage...eeek.. :lol: ) *

Upvote 0

gjpjtj

Tyler, I noticed you said the bus stops were located at the main building. With 5,760 rooms (when completed), how are they going to transport that many guests from one stop?

We were at ASMo last week, and with half as many rooms as PC the busses were packed, if you could even get on. This really worries me about PC.:(

Upvote 0

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by gjpjtj
Tyler, I noticed you said the bus stops were located at the main building. With 5,760 rooms (when completed), how are they going to transport that many guests from one stop?

We were at ASMo last week, and with half as many rooms as PC the busses were packed, if you could even get on. This really worries me about PC.:(

Each section of Pop Century will have it's own main building, food court, check in, and bus stop. So this means it will be 2880 rooms.

And trust me, you want only one bus stop. By having one bus stop, that means that buses don't skip anything. A bus comes in, and that's it's only pick-up point. If it fills up and leaves folks behind, then another bus is sent in. Trust me, it'll be fine.

Upvote 0

LDeb10

Pop Century is Far Out

Hi all,

I've been reading the posts that Invero sent me and I can't wait to be in Pop Century. My husband and I have reservations for 12/29/03 PC. Wanted to be in Disney for New Year's Eve. From all the pictures and what people are saying, this sounds like a great place to stay while having the Disney Experience. We go to Disney every 2-3 yrs, as budgets are tight, this was perfect for us. Most of the other resorts you pay extra for a King size bed. We got the standard room with a King size bed and it was much cheaper than staying in CS, which is where I wanted to stay. Doing it this way, we upgraded our package to silver and it's about the same as staying in CS without the upgrade.

Fun to all,

Deb

Upvote 0

disneydawg

I must admit I was quite skeptical of this resort during the planning stages. I didnt really like any of the concept art I saw, I just felt like Disney was reaching. I now believe I was wrong to ever doubt Disney. This looks like it tops ASM as the best value resort in terms of presentation. I also like the what I have seem of the rooms compared those at the All Stars. Bravo!

Upvote 0

billybaruch1

I'm wondering about the music. Does anyone know if there will be music played from speakers hidden in bushes along the walkways? Will it be "themed" to correspond to the 50's, 60's, etc.? :lookaroun

Upvote 0

pepsistar

:D Tyler, Thanks for all the info! Again!! Love your updates! 8D Just wondered is there a map available yet? I would love to check the layout.

You said each area will have there own check in and main building? Store too? Are the rooms the same size? Looks like it. Will they have the coffee makers? the other All Stars do not but when we were there in Oct. they thought they might be getting them. One problem I see , boo hoo! they still have only one sink---- right?

I imagine you have done practice runs from there to the Parks. How long will it take to get to MK? Seeing this Resort is ? the farthest I think?? Sorry for all of the ?? but you usually come through for us will all the new info! :D

Upvote 0

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by pepsistar
Just wondered is there a map available yet? I would love to check the layout.

No map just yet, but there are aerial shots available at www.disneypix.com

You said each area will have there own check in and main building? Store too? Are the rooms the same size? Will they have the coffee makers? they still have only one sink---- right?
Yes, both the Legendary and Classic sections will be separate resorts under the same name. This means separate front desk, stores, food court, pools, and bus stops. (Just like how the All-Stars are set up with Sports, Music, and Movies) All rooms are the same size. Options include King versus 2 doubles, accessibility options, and location. Don't know about coffee makers right now, and yes, only one sink.

I imagine you have done practice runs from there to the Parks. How long will it take to get to MK? Seeing this Resort is ? the farthest I think??

Nope, no practice runs. No need. It's right next to Caribbean Beach, in a nice central location. Same travel times as CBR.

Upvote 0

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Wow! Thanks Tyler! I wasn't that interested in the themeing at first, but after seeing the photos and reading your comments, it looks like a lot of fun!

I probably won't be back until Dec. '04, but I think I'll have to stay there.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

ladydancer

I have got a question??????????

I have been planning to stay @ Pop Century ever since I first heard about it.

I know that I would love it given that I am 50.

However now I'm second guessing myself. We will be traveling with children 1- 4 year old 2- 5 year olds, 8 year old and a 11 year old. Would they be interested in this theme?

The last time we were there we stayed @ Movies in the Toy Story section. The kids loved it. My grandson who has never been to WDW will be 4 and he loves Buzz and Woody.

Give me your opinion, please.

Upvote 0

MKCustodial

Originally posted by ladydancer

However now I'm second guessing myself. We will be traveling with children 1- 4 year old 2- 5 year olds, 8 year old and a 11 year old. Would they be interested in this theme?

The last time we were there we stayed @ Movies in the Toy Story section. The kids loved it. My grandson who has never been to WDW will be 4 and he loves Buzz and Woody.

Well, you can try the Mickey Phone building, the Lady and the Tramp building or the Mowgli building. Oh, and the Roger Rabbit building!

Upvote 0

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by ladydancer

Pop Century is geared for ALL ages... I'm sure everyone in your family will love it. :)

Upvote 0

jojoyner55

Great thread! Thanks for the pictures and info! My family is booked for Christmas week here and I can't wait. I just got back Saturday from a buisness trip to Honolulu - not as good as it sounds: we were working 12+ hour days at Camp Smith (military types may understand). But we were staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. A place that tries: but as I looked around, my comment was: "Hey, Disney does this alot better". I can't wait to see the Pop Century. Lord-
I just can't wait to get back to WDW.

Upvote 0

pepsistar

Thanks! got2lovedisney. :D I looked on the right side of the page, and the rest of it, but I did not see the sneak preview? Whoops? :( Maybe they changed it updated it?? :cry:

Tyler, Thanks again for all the info! I always look forward to hearing from you and your posts!! :D

Upvote 0

mkymaus

Account Suspended
For those of us who try to go down many times a year from other parts of the US....its resorts like this that make it ALL possible. If it wasnt for the value resorts...we really couldnt afford to make it down there more than once a year or even once per couple of years...dont get me wrong, I am a Beachclub fan for life...but we cant afford to stay there ALL the time....
Its just nice that we can stay at nice properties like this when we do go down..
I cant wait to stay there..even if for only a couple of days...nice job Disney!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom