Pop Century is Far Out!

Invero

I was privledged enough to get a tour of Pop Century today. Let me just say, WOW. This resort is impressive. It is soooo groovy! LOL I have a photographic memory, but I left my film at home, so I'll see what I can recall.

Construction Crews are putting up the sign at the main entrance. They started yesterday, and Im guessing they will finish today or tomorrow.

As I was driving to the main building, I got to see some of the decorated buildings. They're really not as tacky as one might think, after seeing them on the highway.

Bus stops are at the Main Building. They are very similar to All-Stars, but have slightly more shelter.

Classic Hall is the main building. Although the outside of the building is brightly colored, the insides of Pop Century are very subdued. Lots of browns, blues, grays, and mustard. It works well. It houses the front desk area, the arcade, and the merchandise/food court area, named "Everything POP." You walk into this area, and it starts off as the Merchandise Shop. Walk further, and it becomes the Food Court. The food court itself is HUGE. Tons of tables, lots of soda fountains, and it looks like there will be a massive selection of food.

The Front Desk area is called "Memory Lane" because on the walls are glass boxes with all sorts of pop icons from the past 50 years. Just walking down, I could point to a few things and say, "I had one of those!!!" Behind the front desk are enlarged photos from the past 50 years. Very nicely done.

The front desk will have THIRTY stations, which include Guest Services, and Check In/Out. There is also a separate kids room in the lobby, with couches, toys, and a 60's themed big screen TV. Lil trivia factoid: Pop Century will have the largest luggage room on property.

Just outside the main area is the 60's buildings, and the Hippie Dippie Pool. There are two other pools, one shaped like a bowling pin, and another as a computer monitor.

Everything is VERY close to the main building. We walked over to the 50's to see the demo room, and it was really close. I think the furthest building might be a 5 minute walk to the front, if that.

The rooms themselves are similar to the All-Stars - but modified. They looked at the All-Stars, and made them better. A few changes include:

• Lowered night stand - so that you won't hit your head on it when sleeping
  • Data port near the table for your laptop
  • BAR SOAP with separate shampoo
  • Redesigned sink area
  • In room safe that can hold laptop
  • Fitted bed sheets
  • Modernized climate control panel
  • Beds are mounted on pedestals, so that you can't loose things under them.
  • Curtains overlap, so that NO light will get in.

Cast member costumes will be very plain. Either gray and white, or dark blue with mustard top. They look very nice. Instead of golf carts, cast members will drive around on '57 Chevy styled carts, complete with Fuzzy Dice.

For those of you who have reservations for Pop Century -- It is one swingin' resort, and you will have a groovy time!

For those of you knocking Pop Century -- wait until it opens, and you actually experience it before knocking it. It really is a fabulous resort, give it the chance it deserves.

andromedaslove

I read on the WDW website that Pop Century has a boat that is going to go from there to Down Town Disney Marketplace. That seemed odd to me, but it is there plain as day. Do you know anything about that. Here is the quote:

TIPS & FUN FACTS

Disney's Pop Century Resort opens on December 14, 2003.

Buses to all four Disney Theme Parks, both water parks, and the Downtown Disney®area depart regularly from bus stops throughout the Resort. There are also water launches available from the Resort to the Downtown Disney Marketplace.

Upvote 0

pan11435

Tyler, I have a few Pop questions for you. Is there an entrance sign inside the resort that says Classic Years? If yeas do you happen to have a photo. And also I have seen the laundry area in a shoe rack from the 50's section. However I am interested in what they have used for others such as in the 80's/90's. And my last question is do you happen to know if the food court has the Spicy Fried Chicken sandwich like the All-stars do? Thanks

Upvote 0

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by pan11435
Tyler, I have a few Pop questions for you. Is there an entrance sign inside the resort that says Classic Years? If yeas do you happen to have a photo. And also I have seen the laundry area in a shoe rack from the 50's section. However I am interested in what they have used for others such as in the 80's/90's. And my last question is do you happen to know if the food court has the Spicy Fried Chicken sandwich like the All-stars do? Thanks

The main entrance says Pop Century. A picture of it can be found on my Avatar. The Classic Years designation is later on the front drive.

The laundry area for the 60's is in Petals Pool Bar, and for the 80s/90s is a computer CPU box.

As for the spicy chicken sandwich, not really sure. I didn't visit the grill area. When I ate there, I ate at Mom's Night Out, and had the meatloaf TV dinner. (It was very good, by the way)

Upvote 0

andromedaslove

I just wanted to let everyone know I figured it out. I looked at the other value resorts webpages and kept refreshing to make the tips change. It wasn't long before it said the same thing. Seems like Disney was talking about the "resort" in general, not the specific resort. I didn't think it sounded right. Sorry for the confusion.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom