Pop Century and air conditioning

sueybee

Hi all! My last trip at Pop was 08/2008. I remember my last stay there, my family and sister's family had adjoing rooms. Her room was always ice cold and mine was steaming hot. I know previously that the air conditioner there was motion sensored, can anyone tell me if it still is?

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I'll have to try that tomorrow when I check in at Pop, I'll post here if it works.

Thank you for reporting back. I would imagine all the resorts use similar thermostats. I hate being hot all the time but especially when I am sleeping. I like sleeping in a meat locker. :lol:

Upvote 0

tiaragirl

Our room was freezing all the time, and we were never there, haha. We actually had to turn the AC down, but somehow it was never enough.

Upvote 0

PHSCoach

We have never had a problem with the air conditioner during the day. Our rooms have always been cool when we return from the parks. Nightime when we are sleeping is another story. Every night the temperature seems to get warmer and we have a miserable nights sleep. I always wondered if the resort controls the temperature after a certain hour.

Upvote 0

PurpleDragon

We have never had a problem with the air conditioner during the day. Our rooms have always been cool when we return from the parks. Nightime when we are sleeping is another story. Every night the temperature seems to get warmer and we have a miserable nights sleep. I always wondered if the resort controls the temperature after a certain hour.

That may be the motion sensor at work, could be that you guys were sound sleepers and didn't move much during the night so the sensor kicked the A/C off. And during the day the activity from Mousekeeping was enough to keep the A/C running long enough to cool it down by the time you got back from the parks, there is really no telling.

All I know is if this bypass function works, I'll be using it every time I visit a WDW resort. :D

Upvote 0

daydreamdana84

Never had a problem with PC air conditioner we were there in march of 2009. They were doing renovations on some of the rooms , maybe they fixed it then? I never knew either about the motion sensor

Upvote 0

kittybubbles

The one issue I have w/ the AC at POP, and it makes no sense to me at all why it works like this, but I sometimes like to set the thermostat a couple of degrees colder than I want, when it gets to that TEMP, I would move the thermostat up to the temp I want...well, at POP, this causes the heat to come on to warm the room up to the new setting?!?

Upvote 0
That's the automatic version of A/C / Heating for climate control. The climate unit will do either heat or A/C to reach the desired (current setting) temperature. This is why you had the heat kick on when you moved the thermostat up. My truck has a similar feature, and I make sure I don't use the Auto Setting, and use manual instead.

Look on the console (I've never stayed at POP) and see if there's an Auto/Manual button to turn off/on.

The one issue I have w/ the AC at POP, and it makes no sense to me at all why it works like this, but I sometimes like to set the thermostat a couple of degrees colder than I want, when it gets to that TEMP, I would move the thermostat up to the temp I want...well, at POP, this causes the heat to come on to warm the room up to the new setting?!?

Upvote 0

PurpleDragon

I did not see a power button so I was not able to put it into bypass mode. That function may be for a different model found in moderate or delux resorts. Oh well!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Any word on what kind of model it is? Maybe we can harness the power of the Internet Search Deities, to figure that out as I can't stand hot rooms. Especially after a hot day in the parks.

I did not see a power button so I was not able to put it into bypass mode. That function may be for a different model found in moderate or delux resorts. Oh well!

Upvote 0

kittybubbles

That's the automatic version of A/C / Heating for climate control. The climate unit will do either heat or A/C to reach the desired (current setting) temperature. This is why you had the heat kick on when you moved the thermostat up. My truck has a similar feature, and I make sure I don't use the Auto Setting, and use manual instead.

Look on the console (I've never stayed at POP) and see if there's an Auto/Manual button to turn off/on.

I appreciate the response and I figured the thermostat was doing exactly what I asked. From what I recall of the thermostat at POP was that it had no buttons or settings, just an up or down button to set the TEMP you wanted, I do not recall a 'fan' or 'auto' selection nor a 'heat' or 'cool' selection, basically, you set the TEMP and it does what it needs to in order to get you there...

Upvote 0

PurpleDragon

I appreciate the response and I figured the thermostat was doing exactly what I asked. From what I recall of the thermostat at POP was that it had no buttons or settings, just an up or down button to set the TEMP you wanted, I do not recall a 'fan' or 'auto' selection nor a 'heat' or 'cool' selection, basically, you set the TEMP and it does what it needs to in order to get you there...

There is a "Fan" button that you can set to on, off, or auto. But it still gets overridden by the motion sensor.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
well, Im glad to see Im not the only one that likes to sleep in "morgue" settings :))

That is the perfect description of how I like to sleep. One of the reasons why I like POFQ is they don't have the motion sensor thermostats...yet. I can refrigerate myself when I sleep there. I need to stay well preserved.

Upvote 0

dee1988

Air Conditioning at Pop

Instead of using a balloon, i plan on using a very small oscalating fan. Of course I will be driving so i can pack it. Even flying you could probably pack a small fan. I won't be there until next year in May. If anyone does try this please post so i will know if it works.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom