Poor Mission: Space

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I used to go out of my way to defend M:S here. I guess people change, and so do their opinions.

Space (as it is now) needs to go.

The smell of puke everywhere in its vicinity is un-Disney.

I almost feel bad that $200 million would be wasted if they tear down this attraction. I assume the bulk of that money was spent on the centrifuge. So, maybe they can salvage some of that for the new attraction. It would be an attraction about space, not about the centrifuge, like the current one. I don't know how, but maybe they could make an effect or a show element (out of many) out of the centrifuge. It's okay to have some thrills in the new ride, but not enough to leave people puking.

Thoughts?

Goofyernmost

So far I have not been in there while someone hurls. Knock on wood I guess. :banghead:
Nor have I, and the "smell of puke", nope never noticed anything like it. It's funny the tricks the mind will play on us if we talk ourselves into it. Not only would you not smell that, the odor that is emitted from the chemicals that they use to clean it up, would overpower all of it. None of that either.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Nor have I, and the "smell of puke", nope never noticed anything like it. It's funny the tricks the mind will play on us if we talk ourselves into it. Not only would you not smell that, the odor that is emitted from the chemicals that they use to clean it up, would overpower all of it. None of that either.
No. It was very obvious. On the ride and exit walkway. I mentioned the smell to my sister as we walked out and she said she didn't smell anything but Fabreeze on the ride. I told her she had a bad sense of smell because it was nauseously obvious to me.

gsimpson

I guess I should count my blessings, I have never been on or near MS and smelled vomit. I have on occasion smelled what I assumed to be cleaning materials used after someone revisited their meal. I do find it interesting that so many people believe that any ride they happen to dislike, be it Stitch (which I also happen to hate), Mission Space, etc. should be torn out. Doesn't seem self centered at all.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I guess I should count my blessings, I have never been on or near MS and smelled vomit. I have on occasion smelled what I assumed to be cleaning materials used after someone revisited their meal. I do find it interesting that so many people believe that any ride they happen to dislike, be it Stitch (which I also happen to hate), Mission Space, etc. should be torn out. Doesn't seem self centered at all.
I happen to like M:S and have defended it against th haters for years. It took the smell of puke years later for this new opinion. It's just not Disney to have the stench of puke centered around an attraction.

That's why I say find a way somehow to incorporate the centrifuge into whatever replaces it.

Doodlyday

I think all the stories of barfing and even dying have driven people away from it, and where it used to be huge, I have rarely seen a wait over 30 mins.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I think all the stories of barfing and even dying have driven people away from it, and where it used to be huge, I have rarely seen a wait over 30 mins.
I mean I knew EC had big problems, but until now didn't think M:S was one of them! Now, I see EC has big, big problems that are even worse!

Tonka's Skipper

I knew that was coming. That's not an option. Ray Bradbury's Space Pavilion proposal, by the way, would have been like Horizons but themed entirely about space.

LOL.....I was not being too........serious about bringing back Horizons, but it would be great if possible!

AKK

stevehousse

I wouldn't mind seeing it go or redone a a completely new ride!

Rode it once back when it first opened when no one really knew what it was, after downing 2 margaritas we went on! I got off and had to sit down near a garbage can and puke my guts out!

Had I known it was a spinning ride I would have never gone on! I don't do well with spinning rides...

KingdomofDreams

We've been on it numerous times and no one in our group has ever felt sick, let alone actually tossed. I've never witnessed anyone else getting sick or noticed any smells either. What's really funny is that I don't do well with spinning rides and avoid many of them but MS doesn't really bother me. I read advice when it first opened about remaining face forward and not turning your head to look around or at someone next to you. Whether it actually makes any real difference or not, I've heeded that advice and never had a problem.

We enjoy MS and ride it whenever we're at Epcot, but have no real attachment to it. Horizons however... LOVED it!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I wouldn't mind seeing it go or redone a a completely new ride!

Rode it once back when it first opened when no one really knew what it was, after downing 2 margaritas we went on! I got off and had to sit down near a garbage can and puke my guts out!

Had I known it was a spinning ride I would have never gone on! I don't do well with spinning rides...
There are quite a few warnings. Could vision have been impaired by margaritas?

PrincessNelly_NJ

I just rode MS last week and didn't smell anything. Even sat on the benches across from the entrance for 15 minutes... no puke smell, only the scent of flowers from the f&g festival.
Personally, I have gotten a little light headed once but never sick.

Honestly, I don't understand turning on a ride you "defended" just because someone may have gotten sick while you were there. (you even said, that you smelled it but not the person you were with)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom