Pool Usage

How often do you use the hotel pool during your stay?

• Total voters

erasure fan1

We are at least once a day. We get to the parks at open, stay until just after lunch. We then go back and eat lunch and spend a couple hours in the pool during the hottest part of the day. We will then head back to the parks just before dinner. We find keeping kids out all day at the parks, usually ends up with cranky kids. Since we generally stay in a 2 bedroom with family, we try to get back out to the hot tub and pool to relax for a bit before bed after the kids have passed out. It's the benefit of having grandparents with.

NelleBelle

We go probably once/day or every other day. If we are on a longer trip (10+ days), we might do a pool day where we spend most of the day at the pool and then hit the parks in the later afternoon. My boys are 14 and 17 now and they still love the pool just like the did when they were 4 and 7! I like to get in, get wet, and lay out reading/napping while DH and my mom watch the boys. Or I like the hot tub for my back!

This trip my mom and I are staying at YC so definitely plan to take advantage of the pool there! In fact, we plan to hang out there until our room is ready if we don't get an early check-in. I can nap anywhere! So glad that the pools are staying open later than the parks!

ParentsOf4

Pools? Yeah, pools are pretty much why we go to WDW at this point.

July 2020
01.jpg

02.jpg

September 2020
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

November 2020
06.jpg

07.jpg

December 2020
08.jpg

January 2021
09.jpg

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
For me it depends on how much time I have and who I'm with.
When I have the time and have built in pool days I do go swimming particularly if going with the whole family.
When going on short trips its rare that I have the time or interest for that matter.
My sister and I went in the pool at the Contemporary the last time we went to Disney because it was the first and potentially last time staying there. We went for like 45 minutes at 9am on check out day because we were not doing anything else that day. We went down the slide a few times and in the hot tub for a few minutes.
We do bring our swimsuit every trip even if we have no intention of getting in a pool because if we don't bring them we may regret that the decision has already been made.

That said we do have a pool so its not like we can't go swimming in our own pool in the summer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Was that a COVID thing, or did it happen before?

Sadly...the lawyers got hold of that long before.

It stinks too...any reduction of benefit (because they’re guaranteed to increase prices no matter what)...sucks.

Pools? Yeah, pools are pretty much why we go to WDW at this point.

July 2020
View attachment 536684
View attachment 536685

September 2020
View attachment 536686
View attachment 536687
View attachment 536688

November 2020
View attachment 536689
View attachment 536690

December 2020
View attachment 536691

January 2021
View attachment 536692

...those pictures were trying to tell you something.

Lilofan

I live in grey, dismal Northwest Europe and consequently pools are an essential element of my trip.

Basically in recent trips I just start my day by chilling at the pool until my sense of guilt overcomes my laziness and I head for a park.
Never been to NW Europe but I'd like to visit Norway or Sweden in the future.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

My sense of geography might be off...but “northwest Europe” sounds like Britain/Ireland/France/holland/etc.

Not that exotic.

Or maybe Iceland? A short Viking ship ride from the Canadian maritimes? 🤔

macefamily

Last trip to OKW was especially hot and humid. We decided to ditch the parks and head back to the resort for some pool time. First, the pool was extremely overcrowded; elbow to elbow. Second, when getting into the water out of the 95 degree muck, it wasn't refreshing at all. The water had to be 90 degrees. Why doesn't Disney install chillers in the pools to keep the water at around 80 degrees ?

The Mom

Premium Member
Seems like many people love to visit the pool at the hotel they checked into. hmmm.... interesting. Be kind of stupid to open a hotel without one.
Not if people stay at a certain hotel for a certain experience which doesn't include lounging around the pool.

I've traveled throughout Europe and can't remember staying at any hotel with a pool except in Greece. However, I do tend to stay at smaller hotels that are within walking distance of historic or interesting sites, so am not spending a lot of time in the hotel.

I haven't used a hotel pool since my children have grown - even in Florida. If it's hot out, and I need a break, I'd rather go back to the hotel, take a nice shower, and relax in an air-conditioned room for a while - even taking a little nap.

As I recall, the hotel you keep talking about is one that will offer a unique, immersive experience at a high per night rate and guests will only spend two nights, then are expected to check into a more traditional hotel (hopefully still on Disney property) which will have a pool.

GimpYancIent

Not if people stay at a certain hotel for a certain experience which doesn't include lounging around the pool.

I've traveled throughout Europe and can't remember staying at any hotel with a pool except in Greece. However, I do tend to stay at smaller hotels that are within walking distance of historic or interesting sites, so am not spending a lot of time in the hotel.

I haven't used a hotel pool since my children have grown - even in Florida. If it's hot out, and I need a break, I'd rather go back to the hotel, take a nice shower, and relax in an air-conditioned room for a while - even taking a little nap.

As I recall, the hotel you keep talking about is one that will offer a unique, immersive experience at a high per night rate and guests will only spend two nights, then are expected to check into a more traditional hotel (hopefully still on Disney property) which will have a pool.

1614692373903.png

harryk

If the pools opened at least by 5:00 A.M. (I'm an early riser), I'd most likely take an early morning swim, i.e. laps. But since they fenced them off and locked the gates they have made them unusable when I'd like to use them. When I first bought into the Wilderness Lodge DVC (2001), the quiet pool was accessible 24 hours, now it has very limited hours. The lawyers got hold of management.

Heppenheimer

Typically, you find pools mostly in the higher end hotels in Europe, or at the resorts that are specifically geared towards bathing (this one near the Munich airport is my favorite: https://www.therme-erding.de/en/) . Particularly in the Alps, the pool is often paired with a spa complex. I have stayed at a few hotels in the city centers with pools, but they're not as common.

For Disney resorts, as someone who finds hot weather completely oppressive, we use the hotel pool (or one of the waterparks) to rest and recharge during the peak heat of the Florida afternoons.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Seems like many people love to visit the pool at the hotel they checked into. hmmm.... interesting. Be kind of stupid to open a hotel without one.

The data from this survey actually says otherwise to me. 45% of the respondents say they never use the pool or only use it once per trip. Since most people going to the Galactic Star Cruiser will likely make it part of a larger vacation where they can use a pool on other days, the lack of a pool wouldn't impact these respondents.

The Empress Lilly

The Nordic countries are the finest in the world! Norway is spectacularly beautiful, Sweden wins for cities.

Denmark too is a love of mine. I used to read H.C. Andersen in Danish, Ice Queen ('Frozen') and Little Mermaid, although I have forgotten nearly all. I failed miserably trying to order my coffee in makeshift Danish/Norwegian (very close) in WS last trip. 😪

Do go if you ever have the chance! They show that the normal can be self-explanatory.
My sense of geography might be off...but “northwest Europe” sounds like Britain/Ireland/France/holland/etc.

Not that exotic.

Or maybe Iceland? A short Viking ship ride from the Canadian maritimes? 🤔
The world is my oyster... 😑

You didn't flunk your geography in high school!

The Empress Lilly

The data from this survey actually says otherwise to me. 45% of the respondents say they never use the pool or only use it once per trip. Since most people going to the Galactic Star Cruiser will likely make it part of a larger vacation where they can use a pool on other days, the lack of a pool wouldn't impact these respondents.
If GSC is the ulterior subject, I for one wouldn't spend my time at a pool if I just paid $38,999 for 48 hours. Plus, I would go there for cosplay lite. Immersing myself in the SW universe a bit. I would conceivably go to a pool if it were themed to some luxury Sith Lord spa on the Executor. But not an outdoor pool next to a Star Cruiser, that would just take me out of my little fantasy escape.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom