Poncho's, Poncho's everywhere..and let's not forget the itchy feet too! An August TR

Ponchos, Ponchos everywhere Updated 11/16

Welcome Welcome to my August 2011 trip Report... be warned.. U will get wet..you may even get soaked.. so grab your poncho and join us! ( read the Pre-Trip report here)

Trip dates: August 18-29 2011. Room only on August 18th, Free dining from 8/19-8/29

Resort~ Pop Century..my first time at a Value.. 2 rooms

Who? Well lets see we have:

ME: Alison..I turned 36 while in Disney. I have been a Disney fan my whole life. I could live in Disney. I made 2 Disney trips in 19 months in 1999 and 2000 then I shelved my Disney World dreams when I met my now husband and we had 3 kids in 3 years.Fast forward 10+ years and we were finally ready and able to take the plunge and take the 4 kids! I homeschool 3 of the 4 kids ( the oldest is graduated) plus I work a day job doing office type work for the family business and I bartend 2-4 nights a week at my best friends nightclub.

Eric: 39.. a now reformed Disney Skeptic. He was not thrilled with this trip in the planning and paying stage.. and even up til the we arrived stage. He only had 6 Flags to picture in his head what Disney might be like. Well let's just say if I had a nickel for each time he said "this place is awesome"( which was almost the trip report title BTW)..well I could buy us all AP's and go back again this year!

Noah: Turned 17 on this trip. Has been to WDW twice before..once at 4.5 and once at almost 6.5 ( for Christmas no less).. he was above all the most excited for this trip aside from myself.. he knew what to expect and he was giddy like a 6 year old school girl any time you mentioned the trip. Noah is currently a "sandwich artist" at Subway while he decide's what's next in his life! warning prone to extreme teenage mood swings!

Kate: 16.. Noah's girlfriend. nice girl.. but let's just say no girlfriends/boyfriends will ever be invited again!

Declan: 9.5 going on 90.. we always say he's an Old man trapped in a kids body. He was the kiddo I was most worried about at Disney as he has a tendency to suck the fun out of things. Declan tends to overthink, over worry and over control things. He's a fab kid, smarter than any 9.5 year old should be and is a great athlete. He was super excited to go to Disney but due to his issues with the unknown he had a giant knot in his tummy too!

Jadziah: 7 almost 8.. she is by far my most even tempered kiddo. She was giddy and unworried about the trip. She required a disney shirt for each day we were there and yes..she got them..lol hey it pays to be the only girl outta 4 kids right? ( oh JahD Zee Uh like in Star Trek Deep Space nine.. yes I named my daughter after a character in a TV show..I'm a star trek nut and proud of it)

Taejan: 5 almost 6 ( as in he turns 6 a mere 3 days after we left Disney). There are few words to accurately describe Taejan ( Tay-Gin we made this one up). He has the best personality, is beyond outgoing.. vocal and full of love and life.. he's also a putz.. a VERY small but BIg putz.. no is just a word he laughs at.. he made the trip very stressful at times..but oh well..such is life. he also was the catalyst for many of the great "awwwww moments" on this trip as well!

Elaine AKA Gigi: My mother.. she has also been to WDW 2 other times ( with Noah and I). She was a great help with the 3 younger kiddo's and she fully enjoyed her time at Disney with us. She did NOT like the heat ( but then again which one of us did???)

So there's the cast of this mighty adventure.. coming up.. the "pre disney" part of the trip!

Alison1975

Original Poster
Backlot Bound

then Noah asked if we could do The Backlot tour. I told him it wasn't like it was last time we were here.. he didn't care..lol..so off the 8 of us went!

Taejan had a meltdown.. I honestly don't remember what this one was about..they all basically blurred in my memory!
117_3467.jpg

He was over it once we got thru the queue for The Backlot Tour.. he LOVED this!
117_3468.jpg

117_3469.jpg

117_3470.jpg

117_3472.jpg

117_3473.jpg

117_3474.jpg

117_3475.jpg

117_3476.jpg

Up next Playtime and Mealtime!

mickeysshoes

That's what I muttered to the entire group after we got into Noah's room the night before. I had plans to be at Hollywood Studios for rope drop and nothing was going to stop me!

I set my alarm for 6:15...got out of bed around 6:25 showered, got all the kids stuff ready and then I was ready.. but ummm:
117_3446.jpg

They were not!
117_3447.jpg

Well in case I haven't mentioned it.. I'm mean.. yep. I am. I woke their cute little behinds and we were out the door and on a bus and at Hollywood Studios and thru the turnstiles by 8:04.. but GRRR. It was EMH and the park had opened 4 minutes earlier. dang it all. I was sooo close but no cigar to rope drop. Oh and I left a few people behind. My mother,Noah and kate were not up..so we left without em..see I told ya I am MEAN!

Declan and krew had decided they did not want to do Jedi training afterall so we headed to TSMM to get passes and or get in line. I was dumbfounded when I saw the mass of people. I had read how crazy it gets..but nothing prepares you for what you see. So I was like.. what do we do?? Get in the OMG line or get in the other OMG line? We the kids decided let's just wait and ride.. so we headed to the standby which had added about 100000 people while we were deciding. So I said forget it.. I ran and got Fast passes. It was 8:25 and they were already for after noon ( they were GONE by 10:45 this day!)
117_3505.jpg

So after getting the fastpasses we got the heck outta dodge--errr Pixar place. We headed for Star Tours 2!
117_3448.jpg

117_3449.jpg

117_3451.jpg

117_3452.jpg

We all loved the ride..well except Eric.. who got very nauseous from it. After Ziah was in a mood so she refused to get in the picture but here's the boys!
117_3453-1.jpg

Noah texted me and said they were on their way finally but we had some time so we opted for The Great Movie Ride .
117_3454.jpg

After that we headed for the front of the park.. got the kids a snack and Declan did some pin trading and some pin shopping.

Up next.. WHERE is Taejan??( or my husband lost my kid!)

We are in HS on the same day...we waited in the OMG ride line!!!! :lol:

Alison1975

Original Poster
And out come the poncho's...

After Backlot the teens went to do some shopping with strict instructions that we had ressies at Mama Melrose at 2:40.. yes people.. 2:40 ( NOT my choice btw.. these ADR's were the bane of my existence on this trip).

We decided to take the 3 youngest to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground and let them "go nuts" for awhile.. they def needed to burn off some pent up energy. One thing I did NOT like is no place for us adults to sit. What I did like was the CM at the entrance was very vigilant about making sure kids had parents with them when they came and left!

117_3478.jpg

117_3479.jpg

The heat won again with my girl:
117_3480.jpg

After this we headed to Mama Melrose..or I thought we were..
More pin trading:
117_3482.jpg

Come to find out I was going in the exact opposite direction..opps.. so we headed in the right direction.. parked the stroller.. called the teens and told them to get their rears over there and waited:
117_3483.jpg

and waited.. and waited... we finally got in..but we were separated again..This time my whole family plus 2 Warners in one room and Missy's family and the other 2 Warners in another room..ugh.. but I wasn't upset.. meant a much quieter meal!
117_3485.jpg

117_3486.jpg

Right about the time we sat we noticed it was pouring.. and my stroller was NOT covered..so out I ran..well I had to swim thru the sea of people in the VERY small lobby of MM then find the stroller.. cover it and swim back thru. That lobby is crazy btw! it was packed and you had to walk thru it anytime anyone needed to get to the restroom..and with 21 of us pretty much someone was out there all the time!

So our waitress was awesome. Said we got an appetizer because it was the Fantasmic package.. um.. what's the catch lady? We are on the DDP and it doesn't come with an app.. I was like "is this gonna cost us something out of pocket?"..nope.. she said it's a great deal for anyone on the DDP to do the Fantasmic seating..she was right!

The chef came out to see me and we decided on the Tomato's and Mozzarella for my app and for my main dish I have no clue.. i was so bad remember what I ordered. All I know is i I wasn't the only one to order it and it was amazing.lol. I did get gluten free rolls brought out also. and I had gelato for dessert. The meal was great, the waitress was extremely nice.. !
Oh remember how I said the heat won again for Ziah.. she fell asleep at the table:
117_3487.jpg

After we were done it was still pouring so we put on the poncho's and headed out.. Ended up that all 21 of us went to see Muppets 3d:

117_3490.jpg

117_3491.jpg

After the show we all split up..no idea what anyone else did but the 6 of us ( Teens left too) headed out and to the right..

Up Next ~ Moommm... Declan made a movie

bmarkelon

Love your TR! So much fun! That gf seems to be the villain in the story, :fork:. Haha. I am the same Disney fanatic. Definitely embarassing my family dancing and floating down Main Street. It brings me the same joy and excitement and I always try to keep my crew as pumped full of magic as I am! Mine are totally into the pin trading too, crazy how fast they go through those trader sets!!

Alison1975

Original Poster
Love your TR! So much fun! That gf seems to be the villain in the story, :fork:. Haha. I am the same Disney fanatic. Definitely embarassing my family dancing and floating down Main Street. It brings me the same joy and excitement and I always try to keep my crew as pumped full of magic as I am! Mine are totally into the pin trading too, crazy how fast they go through those trader sets!!

She is something.. there is more "drama" but nothing too bad just too much drama for me!

Alison1975

Original Poster
Mommm.. Declan made a movie!

So after Muppets 3D ( which Declan just loved) we zigged while everyone else zagged.The Sweener and Warner clans went one way, Noah and Kate went another and we went a 3rd.

We headed right and a nice mom told us that Phineas and Ferb were inside so go meet them..we headed into the building she pointed to and their handler told us they were going back outside since it had stopped raining.

We headed back to their movie set and waited.. They came over along with anyone that was in line in the building. We were close to the front but not that close. Well turns out that was good. The "movie" was being made and I volunteered Declan for it and he got picked!

117_3495.jpg

117_3496.jpg

Then we were in the front of the line!
117_3499.jpg

Ziah was sad that Candace isn't there though.. she loves Candace...
117_3500.jpg

117_3501.jpg

Next we headed to the Indiana Jones show.. very awesome CM in a wheelchair greeted us ( same one that had told me earlier that I was NOT heading towards Mama Melrose as I thought..lol). Kids did some pin trading then we headed into the show:
117_3502.jpg

This show is the same as it was 10.5 year ago.. it was funny.. my kids loved it though.. so I guess you don't always need to change things.. a whole new fresh audience is always waiting for their "first" show!
117_3503.jpg

117_3504.jpg

After the show ( was fun if not old..lol) we headed to TSMM because we still had 5 fast passes. My mother was ok with not going on again.. I would have given her my FP because I hate leaving her out. She sat right outside and off we went.
117_3506.jpg

I won again but I told The did because ..well he was 5 and needed a win!Declan rode alone.. I wasn't real thrilled with that but it is what it was..

My mom needed to get out of the sun and heat so we went off to One Man's Dream.. very cool.. and the kids did some pin trading!
117_3509.jpg

Up next Star Tours again..and again...

Alison1975

Original Poster
Star Tours.. again and again

So after some more pin trading:
117_3510.jpg

We met up with Noah and Kate at Star Tours.. Eric and my mom sat it out.. we had 8 fast passes so we used 6 of them. We had a completely different ride and Noah was "in" the ride..very cool. We left and as we were walking thru the exit ( before the shop) Declan spotted a CM and wanted to trade pins.. Taejan got sad and the CM asked why.. he said "I don't have my pins!".. well she then asked him if he liked Star Tours and would he like to ride again since he was sad. Of course he said YES..she gave us 6 fastpasses and we ran back thru..it was great!

Now it was close to time to meet the rest of the krew for our Fantasmic seating. We still had 2 FP's and Noah and Declan wanted to go again..so silly me let them. I thought Noah could find his way to where we had to go in. So we left them and headed to meet everyone. Well we got there and waited. 19 of us where there.. 2 were MIA.. Noah kept getting turned around and it took forever for them to meet us ( and several phone calls to him) but finally we were on our way to the amphitheater.

we got great seats.. all together ( more or less) and the show was great!
117_3511.jpg

117_3514.jpg

I broke out the light sticks and the bracelets I had gotten at Target.. passed em out to all the kids we had and made everyone happy!
117_3515.jpg

After the show we headed for a frozen lemonade and a snack. Then we thought the crowd would have died down and we went to the bus. The line was CRAZY.. like it stretched back 3 other bus stops crazy. One family went to a CM across the way and ended up getting a taxi.. we waited. It really wasn't that big a deal. I mean seriously.. Disney + last few days of summer vacation + pyrotechnic show = LINES.

I did , for a minute , wish I was Taejan though..
117_3516.jpg

We eventually got back to the resort.. oh and here's a nice tip..if the bus is packed.. you can chose to NOT complain..because no one is forcing you on the bus. Everytime we were due to get on a packed bus we opted not to. We stepped aside and let other people go and we waited and were first on the next bus. Yes that bus ended up packed but were were sitting..

We got back to Pop and the amazing mousekeepers had been at it again!
117_3517.jpg

117_3518.jpg

Oh and for those who have been reading..no today was not drama free with the g/f.. he was embarrassed by the way she ate at dinner ( fingers..no utensils) and she was upset because he told her he was embarrassed and well the moods were less than stellar! Oh and she always texts me when they fight.. I try to be a nice "in law type" and play mediator..plus I just wanted no drama or minimal drama.. I am so glad this trip is over.. I have pretty much told her to stop texting me and complaining about my son!

And so concludes our 3rd day in Disney.. our 2nd day in the parks.. up next? Epcot!

HouCuseChickie

OMG - so glad you found Taejan quickly. I sooooo would have lost it.

Your Mama Melrose experience reminds me of ours back in December. We had a 3:50p adr b/c of the Fantasmic pkg...and it took us over 45min to be seated. We were only a party of 6, but were told due to our large size it would take longer...no clue why they wouldn't split us up. And yes...that little area up front is tiny and not the best for a long wait. We just sat on the floor and colored. At least it was nice to get the appetizer! :slurp:

Can't wait to read more! :wave:

Alison1975

Original Poster
OMG - so glad you found Taejan quickly. I sooooo would have lost it.

Your Mama Melrose experience reminds me of ours back in December. We had a 3:50p adr b/c of the Fantasmic pkg...and it took us over 45min to be seated. We were only a party of 6, but were told due to our large size it would take longer...no clue why they wouldn't split us up. And yes...that little area up front is tiny and not the best for a long wait. We just sat on the floor and colored. At least it was nice to get the appetizer! :slurp:

Can't wait to read more! :wave:

i was close. I just asked him about it and he said he thought we were near the log .. anyone know what "log" near TSMM he is referring to? he still gets very teary and upset when I mention it... he was so scared.

Raven66

21 people? Dang you are braver then me. All those different personalities and opinions would have driven me crazy.:lookaroun

How long has your son been with his girlfriend? It kind of seems like he didn't care for her being there.

Alison1975

Original Poster
21 people? Dang you are braver then me. All those different personalities and opinions would have driven me crazy.:lookaroun

How long has your son been with his girlfriend? It kind of seems like he didn't care for her being there.

We only toured with the other 13 once , but meal times were a bit much at times..lol..

They've been together 15 months. I think being together 24/7 for 10 days was harder than either expected it to be.

PolynesianPrincess

I'm glad you enjoyed Mama Melrose. We're looking into booking there for the F! package in the spring. We all love italian food and H&V does'nt appeal to us and neither does Brown Derby. Oh how I wish they would add 50's to the F! package!! :rolleyes:

mickeysshoes

I'm glad you enjoyed Mama Melrose. We're looking into booking there for the F! package in the spring. We all love italian food and H&V does'nt appeal to us and neither does Brown Derby. Oh how I wish they would add 50's to the F! package!! :rolleyes:

We also had good meal (lunch on the same say as Allison, but earlier in the afternoon) at MM. But stay away from the pork...very salty, DH could not eat it. The pizza are yummy and so was the chicken parm!!!

silver1113

You and your mother deserve Mother of the Year awards for getting through with the gf. I'm so glad we never took any gf or bfs. Glad you were able to still have a good time.

Alison1975

Original Poster
You and your mother deserve Mother of the Year awards for getting through with the gf. I'm so glad we never took any gf or bfs. Glad you were able to still have a good time.
yeah.. it was what it was right? never again and my son knows it..lol

disneygirl1

Pretty much any time we stayed late enough to have huge lines there were busses stacked after a few. Of course the worst was at MK when we were waiting to leave and a bus came.. dropped off a few people then changed his signage n left..whaaa

:ROFLOL: We had that happen to us too!!! All I could say was you have got to be kidding me!!! :ROFLOL:

Great update. I didn;t realize there were 21 of you all!!! Holey Moley!!! That's alot of people! I have a heard enough time keeping track of the 6 people we went with!!!

Seems like you are all havinga wondeful trip so far!

Alison1975

Original Poster
Epcot bound..

Epcot is our 2nd favorite park and I couldn't wait to introduce the younger kids to it.

We slept in til 7 this morning.. ate breakfast from the food stores we had in the room then headed to a bus. All 8 of us at once! We got right on a bus and were at Epcot in no time. The line was long and it took awhile..but no big deal.
Declan was apparently still tired:
117_3519.jpg

Once we were thru the turnstiles I handed over our KTTK cards to Noah and kate and sent them for Soarin FP's.

As we were walking thru the Leave a Legacy area Ziah said she didn't feel good...GREAT.. so we decided to rent her a stroller. Eric went to the left to do that and we went to the right because we spotted Daisy Duck! Daisy is Ziah's favorite ever!
117_3522.jpg

Then Stitch was right behind her:
117_3525.jpg

Noah and Kate had the FP's and were doing their own thing. We headed over to Space Ship Earth.. with a small detour:
117_3526.jpg

We ended up riding this twice in a row..the kids loved it that much ( I, on the other hand, would have preferred ONCE..lol)
117_3527.jpg

117_3530.jpg

We headed up past SSE and of course we had another "detour"
117_3531.jpg

and then happened upon a few other characters..
117_3534.jpg
( notice Taejan's eyes? He has a thing and we rarely get a picture with his eyes open..lol.. It normally takes 3-5 shots to get one with eyes open..this time not even that worked!)

117_3536.jpg

After that Noah and Kate came back and we headed off to Soarin..
117_3537.jpg

This is a great ride..we all loved it.. we were in the very front and I was kind of worried about my shoes once we were in the air so I took off my flip flops and sat on them lol.

After Soarin we ate lunch/brunch at Seasons? It was good.. except for the fact that Kate decided to order barely cooked tuna when she doesn't like fish ..oh well..lol

Up Next ~ Part 2

Alison1975

Original Poster
part 2

After we ate we went on Living with the Land..I love this one!
117_3538.jpg

117_3539.jpg

Then I sent the teens off for Test Track Fastpasses... they got em and brought them to me at one of the stores right before we went into WS.

I went in and got the kids an Epcot Passport.. we never did get it finished or finish the Duffy's the started..oh well!

We headed into Canada and went to see O'Canada.. first and last CircleVision for me.. I forgot how big of a headache they give me!
117_3540.jpg

117_3541.jpg

Duffy time..but REALLY Disney.. Sharpie's?? Really not thrilled with that believe me!
117_3543.jpg

117_3544.jpg

117_3545.jpg

We saw a few Characters in their countries but my kids wanted nothing to do with the long lines... this was a theme for the whole trip. It was hot and most line were in the sun...so we didn't see very many overall.
117_3546.jpg

Somewhere along the way Taejan lost it.. surprised it took this long actually:
117_3547.jpg

117_3548.jpg

Up next Tales of sleeping girl and shaved ice..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom