Poncho or Umbrella?

MouseDreaming

Hello! While my family has been to the World before, we have never gone in June. Usually, we are there in March, and I think in all of those trips, we maybe dealt with rain one day. I know in June we can expect passing rain through the day. If we use ponchos, will they have a chance to dry off? Is it better to have umbrellas at the ready? Both? What do you do?

ratherbeinwdw

Hello! While my family has been to the World before, we have never gone in June. Usually, we are there in March, and I think in all of those trips, we maybe dealt with rain one day. I know in June we can expect passing rain through the day. If we use ponchos, will they have a chance to dry off? Is it better to have umbrellas at the ready? Both? What do you do?
We just got back last night. We had to deal with rain for three days. Only one all day. We used our Coleman rain jackets for two of the days and then the .88 poncho's from WalMart for two days. The ones from Wal Mart are longer than the others. We use them one day and toss them. We had a couple in our bags at all times, so that if it really got wet, we could toss that one and use another. If it's not raining for a long period, you can shake them out, fold them inside out, hang them to dry in the room and use them again. They take up almost no room.
I do recommend that if continual rain is expected when you go, to make sure and pick up a rain jacket. It will keep you and any bags/backpacks dry. Our's zip up so they are very easy to get on and off. An umbrella is a waste and hard to carry. I also recommend a cap/hat to wear over or instead of your hood on the poncho or rain jacket as it keeps the rain out of your face and those hoods can get hot. We went during a hurricane last June, so we actually wore the pants that came with the jacket. We were able to stay dry and ride all day while others left and went back to their resorts. That was good for us, bad for them. A shower is one thing, but this was a hurricane.

Upvote 0

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
We just got back last night. We had to deal with rain for three days. Only one all day. We used our Coleman rain jackets for two of the days and then the .88 poncho's from WalMart for two days. The ones from Wal Mart are longer than the others. We use them one day and toss them. We had a couple in our bags at all times, so that if it really got wet, we could toss that one and use another. If it's not raining for a long period, you can shake them out, fold them inside out, hang them to dry in the room and use them again. They take up almost no room.
I do recommend that if continual rain is expected when you go, to make sure and pick up a rain jacket. It will keep you and any bags/backpacks dry. Our's zip up so they are very easy to get on and off. An umbrella is a waste and hard to carry. I also recommend a cap/hat to wear over or instead of your hood on the poncho or rain jacket as it keeps the rain out of your face and those hoods can get hot. We went during a hurricane last June, so we actually wore the pants that came with the jacket. We were able to stay dry and ride all day while others left and went back to their resorts. That was good for us, bad for them. A shower is one thing, but this was a hurricane.
I may have to stock up on .88 ponchos! I should mention one of us is a very thin (but tall) 10 yr old girl. Do these work on a kid, or ...I don't know what do you do?

Upvote 0

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
I always use a poncho. It allows for maximum mobility while traveling through the parks, and you can always grab a plastic bag to keep it in if it's wet. I tried an umbrella one year and it ended up being windy in additional to rainy so I got soaked. You'll be drier with a poncho. :)
Wind...I didn't even think of this. You guys are the best!:D

Upvote 0

MouseDreaming

Original Poster
Umbrella. But I head to the exit when the rain starts. :)
The one rain storm we were there for, we tried to tough it out. I figured, it's Florida, it will pass. Still had no problem staying, after we found out that it was actually going to rain harder for hours. It was the lightening bolt that hit close enough, that we could hear the sizzle, and the resultant thunder that shook Main St that got us out of there.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

Poncho. They fold up and can be stuck in a back pack. They do a better job of keeping you dry when those Florida monsoon's roll through in the afternoon and they do not block anybody's view. I really hate those umbrellas for things like Illuminations, Wishes, Fantasmic or even LMA where people pull out this king size umbrella just in front of you that could cover half of Manhattan. Instead of seeing the show you get to watch an umbrella moving back and forth.

We buy the ponchos @ WDW. They are made with a fairly heavy material and we will use them for a few years and when one rip we simply replace it. We have bought the cheap ponchos from Walmart and they were definitely throw away and did not hold up.

Like Figment said, they do have that sticky feeling when it is hot and humid but at least you are dry. One other bonus with a poncho is they can keep you at least somewhat dry on Splash or Kali River Rapids if you want.

Upvote 0

luv

The one rain storm we were there for, we tried to tough it out. I figured, it's Florida, it will pass. Still had no problem staying, after we found out that it was actually going to rain harder for hours. It was the lightening bolt that hit close enough, that we could hear the sizzle, and the resultant thunder that shook Main St that got us out of there.
Lots of cloud-to-ground lightening in Florida! Lightening storms, when they happen, are very impressive...much more than any fireworks or laser show! But it can be a little scary.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom