Poly Refurb, DTD Night Show, and AoA...Oh my!

flavious27

I love the DVC concept shown above, and the land is there, but the beach front is lost. As for Tangaroa Terrace, we were there in dec 2010, and they were set up for a banquet, so its fully functional. If the GCH had to be closed, it could house check in. But the loss in revenue from Wyland, ohanas, and Kona would be substantial. Why not build a new GCH between Fiji and Spirit of Aloha. Clearly can put a new monorail platform there. Thats only if it has to come down. Build one, keep using the other, and lose no business.

Thanks.

Well why not build the dvc check in area as a temp check in until the gch is rebuilt/fixed, then turn it over as the dvc check in. As for Kona, Ohanas, and capt cooks, it is going to be hurt for poly/gf management to fill the void with opening tangaroa up for general guests. They could have the second floor of the dvc check in built to house a replacement for kona and capt cooks, but it will leave some space empty when the gch reopens.

juniorthomas

Interesting, you truly live up to your handle.

I posted earlier about how to add dvc units at poly, this is what I was thinking of.

polydvc.png

For the stilt units, I was thinking of them looking like this:

pfahlbauten-mr-333.jpg

With the layout of each stilt house looking like this on the first level.

stiltvillas.jpg

This is brilliant. Its absolutely possible too. Well done. Very well done.

tikiman

Not a bad idea and very similar to something that was in the original design. There were going to be bungalow type rooms out in the lagoon outside the high-rise building as shown in the concept photo.

polynesianconcept.jpg

The only problem now is that the Wedding Pavilion was built where some of the Polynesian was going to go. Remember early on even the luau cove was not built. Now if you built out in the water there you would lose the lagoon and Theme Park view rooms from Tuvalu and Aotearoa. Sorry to say this but I don’t think just to make the DVC people happy that you should take away from the regular rooms. I would be just as happy to not see DVC go into the Polynesian because I would not ever buy into it myself. I would be surprised if DVC did not ever go in at the Polynesian but as of now everyone that would know tells me that they decided that DVC was not going in at the Polynesian. One year from now I could be reporting how DVC is going in at the Polynesian.:hammer:

NoChesterHester

Well that is what engineers and architects are paid for, to find solutions to a problem. They could have the stilt houses look they are on stilts, but are built on a foundation. If the effect looks real, then the theme is achieved.

I do think it is a cool idea, but with 43,000 acres of land do you believe the EPA will allow them to build over water?

About the only thing we can construct in an existing body of water nowadays is a pier or a bridge. Notice that since the late 70's we don't really see any above water construction? That is because several agencies now prevent us from doing so in the name of environmental impact. The only way it can even be approved now is the apply to reconstitute the boundary of water. That would require you to reconfigure the shoreline around your construction. Not impossible by any means, but more approvals and oversight... There really isn't any regulation that still exists in this country to build new conditioned space over a boundary of water.

flavious27

Not a bad idea and very similar to something that was in the original design. There were going to be bungalow type rooms out in the lagoon outside the high-rise building as shown in the concept photo.

polynesianconcept.jpg

The only problem now is that the Wedding Pavilion was built where some of the Polynesian was going to go. Remember early on even the luau cove was not built. Now if you built out in the water there you would lose the lagoon and Theme Park view rooms from Tuvalu and Aotearoa. Sorry to say this but I don’t think just to make the DVC people happy that you should take away from the regular rooms. I would be just as happy to not see DVC go into the Polynesian because I would not ever buy into it myself. I would be surprised if DVC did not ever go in at the Polynesian but as of now everyone that would know tells me that they decided that DVC was not going in at the Polynesian. One year from now I could be reporting how DVC is going in at the Polynesian.:hammer:

Well sight lines are going to be a problem, they will always be a problem at poly. Part of my plan would have Tuvalu, Fiji, and Aotearoa as part of the DVC. I feel that these three longhouses already have a feel of being separated from the rest of the resort due to the inlet.

My wife mentioned that the wedding pavilion would more sense on Beachcomber's Island. Here is someone they could do.

weddingisland.png

There would be one chapel complex for those staying elsewhere in the parks. The southern portion would be a chapel and cottage complex. Each cottage would be setup for a single couple, with room for the bride to have a couple of bridesmaids stay the night before. The chapel on the southern portion would only be used for the cottages. There would also be a lobby and small restaurant near the boat dock.

flavious27

I do think it is a cool idea, but with 43,000 acres of land do you believe the EPA will allow them to build over water?

About the only thing we can construct in an existing body of water nowadays is a pier or a bridge. Notice that since the late 70's we don't really see any above water construction? That is because several agencies now prevent us from doing so in the name of environmental impact. The only way it can even be approved now is the apply to reconstitute the boundary of water. That would require you to reconfigure the shoreline around your construction. Not impossible by any means, but more approvals and oversight... There really isn't any regulation that still exists in this country to build new conditioned space over a boundary of water.

With the seven seas lagoon being man made, would it concern them?

I think you mentioned about having a conditioned building being built above water before. Disney could setup a caisson around where the stilts would be built and install a foundation for the buildings. Then disney could design the exposed foundations so it appears stilts are used.

juniorthomas

Thanks. I know that there will some challenges, but any good deluxe hotel will have engineering challenges to achieve something magical.

Absolutely. And being creative pays off, as people will want to stay there. How else could you explain people still wanting to stay at the Contemporary after all this time?

juniorthomas

Well sight lines are going to be a problem, they will always be a problem at poly. Part of my plan would have Tuvalu, Fiji, and Aotearoa as part of the DVC. I feel that these three longhouses already have a feel of being separated from the rest of the resort due to the inlet.

My wife mentioned that the wedding pavilion would more sense on Beachcomber's Island. Here is someone they could do.

weddingisland.png

There would be one chapel complex for those staying elsewhere in the parks. The southern portion would be a chapel and cottage complex. Each cottage would be setup for a single couple, with room for the bride to have a couple of bridesmaids stay the night before. The chapel on the southern portion would only be used for the cottages. There would also be a lobby and small restaurant near the boat dock.

Is that Alcatraz?

flavious27

Absolutely. And being creative pays off, as people will want to stay there. How else could you explain people still wanting to stay at the Contemporary after all this time?

Absolutely, the contemporary is not the disneyland hotel, people have options at wdw if they don't like the look of the hotel.

DVCrockett

C'mon now!

They did it in 2002 near EPCOT:shrug:

5638731798_6f0988a5ea_z.jpg

5638731800_4d5d3f19a7_z.jpg

maxairmike

There is no free flow of water underneath that section of the building, I'm willing to bet. There appears to be a bridge far enough out to hid the concrete foundation and create the illusion of being positioned over a body of water.

There is a difference between what is being proposed and what they did there. The proposal is buildings on real stilt platforms, similar to this resort.

flavious27

There is no free flow of water underneath that section of the building, I'm willing to bet. There appears to be a bridge far enough out to hid the concrete foundation and create the illusion of being positioned over a body of water.

There is a difference between what is being proposed and what they did there. The proposal is buildings on real stilt platforms, similar to this resort.

Well what I propose is either putting them on stilts or having the appearance they are. The effect is to add dvc units that fit into the theme of the resort.

maxairmike

Of course. Pardon my over-defining of the example. It was more to illustrate that there are currently no conditioned buildings built over the water. DVC units built beyond the shoreline would still be considered conditioned buildings built over water even with a solid foundation that covered most of the building area as opposed to stilt foundations, correct?

NoChesterHester

Well what I propose is either putting them on stilts or having the appearance they are. The effect is to add dvc units that fit into the theme of the resort.

Totally... I get it. I love the Bora Bora example. It would be fabulous.

The lake being man made doesn't really matter at this point. Once it is built... it is a body of water. A reservoir is man made, and most "lake front" property is man made by creating reservoirs on dammed rivers.

In saying that... having "Reedy Creek Improvement District" I bet they could redesign the boundary of 7 Seas Lagoon to do just what you are proposing.

SeaCastle

There have been plans (and perhaps they will come to fruition in the future) to expand the Seven Seas Lagoon to the west, creating a new lagoon west of the Grand Floridian and connecting said lagoon with a canal due north of thr GF. The new lagoon would be dug in what is now forest and there would be room for two or three resorts. I'll see if I can dig up an illustration of those plans.

flavious27

There have been plans (and perhaps they will come to fruition in the future) to expand the Seven Seas Lagoon to the west, creating a new lagoon west of the Grand Floridian and connecting said lagoon with a canal due north of thr GF. The new lagoon would be dug in what is now forest and there would be room for two or three resorts. I'll see if I can dig up an illustration of those plans.

I can kind of visualize what you mean, but any mockups would be nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom