Poly Refurb, DTD Night Show, and AoA...Oh my!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I cannot imagine them closing Ohana, with how popular the place is, unless there is absolutely no choice. Closing Kona and serving the same menu, essentially, at Tangaroa Terrace seems possible, but I think the place would literally have to be deemed an imminent health or safety hazard to close Ohana.
Neither can I. There would have to be some insanely bad problems with the GCH and no other options before they would ever do that.

juniorthomas

Insulation works both ways... keep in the cool air in the summer and the cool air out in the winter. Cold is still an issue too. December, January, and February can be downright chilly in central Florida. We have to design buildings with lots of insulation or not only will they be energy inefficient, we get things like condensation and water vapor drive... not good.

I'd like to consider myself, and my previous comment, OWNED.

stratman50th

Where is Tangaroa Terrace? I've stayed at Poly 3 times in the last 6 years and for the life of me can't recall ever seeing it. Is it a restaurant? I know of O'Hana of course, the Kona Cafe, the Sushi Bar, Captain Cooks, some kind of bar near the pool, and Luau Cove, but no Tangaroa Terrace.:shrug:

Pioneer Hall

Where is Tangaroa Terrace? I've stayed at Poly 3 times in the last 6 years and for the life of me can't recall ever seeing it. Is it a restaurant? I know of O'Hana of course, the Kona Cafe, the Sushi Bar, Captain Cooks, some kind of bar near the pool, and Luau Cove, but no Tangaroa Terrace.:shrug:

Used to be a restaurant, now it is used for meetings and small receptions. It is a standalone building near the bus stop and Tokelau. The same building houses laundry, the neverland club, and used to have the arcade as well.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Tangaroa Terrace was a restaurant at the Poly a while back -- it's been closed at least 10 years, think. It's located in the building that houses the Neverland Club (kids club). Some reports suggest Tangaroa Terrace is used at times for special events, but I don't know if that is correct.

http://photosfromtheparks.blogspot.com/2009/10/tangaroa-terrace.html

tikiman

It’s funny because I just wrote an article about Tangaroa Terrace because Disneyland is opening a new restaurant called Tangaroa Terrace. I have a little history behind it if you would like to read. http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/news/184-tangaroa-is-coming-back-and-news-around-the-resort

It is not open now but it is located over in the building that has the laundry and the Neverland Club. They still use it to prepare room service meals.

stratman50th

Used to be a restaurant, now it is used for meetings and small receptions. It is a standalone building near the bus stop and Tokelau. The same building houses laundry, the neverland club, and used to have the arcade as well.

Tangaroa Terrace was a restaurant at the Poly a while back -- it's been closed at least 10 years, think. It's located in the building that houses the Neverland Club (kids club). Some reports suggest Tangaroa Terrace is used at times for special events, but I don't know if that is correct.

http://photosfromtheparks.blogspot.com/2009/10/tangaroa-terrace.html

It’s funny because I just wrote an article about Tangaroa Terrace because Disneyland is opening a new restaurant called Tangaroa Terrace. I have a little history behind it if you would like to read. http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/news/184-tangaroa-is-coming-back-and-news-around-the-resort

It is not open now but it is located over in the building that has the laundry and the Neverland Club. They still use it to prepare room service meals.
Thanks everyone for responding, and I really feel like an idiot!
We always stay at the Tokela building because it's next to the quiet pool, and close to the TTC and the GCH. I must have come out that side door a hundred times between going to the bus stop, and the laundry. I've seen that building and wondered why I never see anyone in there or the kid's area! I've obviously seen the name as many times and just forgot about it.
What's even worse is, I even have a picture of it we took in 2007:
Picture002.jpg

tikiman

Nice article, and I even learned something disappointing, they're changing my quiet pool! Many an afternoon between parks, and evenings after dark among the Tiki torches were spent there.

Yeah well lets hope they do a good job so you can still enjoy it. I was told they were going to put a zero entry in but unless they are way behind schedule they have not even started to break down one of the ends to add something like that. Maybe they changed their plan and are just making it shallower since there is no lifeguard at that pool. They were scheduled to open on the 9th and they are not even close to done.

SMRT-1

love the site man

tikiman

Okay, I was wondering because of the loop in front of that building. Would Tangaroa Terrace be able to become a temporary check in area?

Yeah Rapa Nui does look like it has its own little main entrance but the building itself does not have any room for a check in. Tangaroa Terrace the restaurant itself would not house the check in but there are other parts of that building including the area where Snack Isle and the Arcade were located that they could do something with.

flavious27

Yeah Rapa Nui does look like it has its own little main entrance but the building itself does not have any room for a check in. Tangaroa Terrace the restaurant itself would not house the check in but there are other parts of that building including the area where Snack Isle and the Arcade were located that they could do something with.

I wonder why Rapa Nui was designed that way.

If the GCH would need to be closed, using that area could be a solution. The restaurant can cover some of the business from kona, though having ohanas closed would be a hit for that business unit.

tikiman

I wonder why Rapa Nui was designed that way.

If the GCH would need to be closed, using that area could be a solution. The restaurant can cover some of the business from kona, though having ohanas closed would be a hit for that business unit.

Rapa Nui was the first building to be built with accessible rooms that have roll-in showers, wider openings and different laid out bathrooms. That is also when that parking lot was built so they tied it together with the longhouse and also gave it easier access with that side entrance. Tahiti and Tokelau both have similar mid-building entrances but Tokelau and Tahiti actually have a larger lobby area. One year they even used the second floor lobby area in Tahiti as the club level lounge when Hawaii was closed for the new room design.

flavious27

Rapa Nui was the first building to be built with accessible rooms that have roll-in showers, wider openings and different laid out bathrooms. That is also when that parking lot was built so they tied it together with the longhouse and also gave it easier access with that side entrance. Tahiti and Tokelau both have similar mid-building entrances but Tokelau and Tahiti actually have a larger lobby area. One year they even used the second floor lobby area in Tahiti as the club level lounge when Hawaii was closed for the new room design.

Interesting, you truly live up to your handle.

I posted earlier about how to add dvc units at poly, this is what I was thinking of.

polydvc.png

For the stilt units, I was thinking of them looking like this:

pfahlbauten-mr-333.jpg

With the layout of each stilt house looking like this on the first level.

stiltvillas.jpg

mickey2008.1

I love the DVC concept shown above, and the land is there, but the beach front is lost. As for Tangaroa Terrace, we were there in dec 2010, and they were set up for a banquet, so its fully functional. If the GCH had to be closed, it could house check in. But the loss in revenue from Wyland, ohanas, and Kona would be substantial. Why not build a new GCH between Fiji and Spirit of Aloha. Clearly can put a new monorail platform there. Thats only if it has to come down. Build one, keep using the other, and lose no business.

flavious27

Cool idea. Unfortunately building conditioned space over a body of water isn't really feasible.

Well that is what engineers and architects are paid for, to find solutions to a problem. They could have the stilt houses look they are on stilts, but are built on a foundation. If the effect looks real, then the theme is achieved.

mickey2008.1

After looking at maps of resort, why not put the new GCH at the terrace? A very close to the monorail site, a not so much used building for the public, swap them out possibly. Close to parking lots. This is all in an as if possibility that the current GCH is going to be replaced. No way shut down a whole resort for years. But then again, how long was dixie landings down?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom