Poly Refurb, DTD Night Show, and AoA...Oh my!

CDavid

rich people def wont stay at a value...thats for sure:ROFLOL:

Wasn't it reported years ago that many of the guests staying in moderate and (later) value resorts formerly stayed in the deluxes, until a less expensive Disney option became available? Certainly that's not true of everyone, but regardless the Art of Animation doesn't really do anything to free up (deluxe resort) capacity for the Polynesian.

For that matter, is Disney even planning to market the Art of Animation as a value resort, versus a moderate or something else?

could this mean a DVC for poly? being that they are building all new buildings

If they are actually all-new buildings, DVC would be my guess as well. The part about they can't do the asbestos abatement and refurbishment 'in place' doesn't make sense. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but don't you have to remove the asbestos before you can demo the building? Once that unavoidable step is completed, nothing standing in the way of refurbishment, which has been done on these buildings previously - unless its a DVC 'refurbishment', which before has always meant new buildings.

NoChesterHester

If they are actually all-new buildings, DVC would be my guess as well. The part about they can't do the asbestos abatement and refurbishment 'in place' doesn't make sense. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but don't you have to remove the asbestos before you can demo the building? Once that unavoidable step is completed, nothing standing in the way of refurbishment, which has been done on these buildings previously - unless its a DVC 'refurbishment', which before has always meant new buildings.

^THIS^

Exactly, you can't just knock the buildings down and then clean up everything when asbestos is involved. The material has to be removed as a contaminant before demolition. So long as there isn't anything crisply wrong with the structure I do not understand why you would go through the expense of razing the buildings only to rebuild. Foundations and structural elements are expensive, not to mention the expensive refurbishment these buildings went through not so long ago.

jmick71

I understand. But you can't actually claim it exists until they are building it. Look at AoA. It has had all these permits and filings for TEN YEARS, and its not open.

By AoA do you mean art of animation, if so it is being built which means that the permits were filed for a reason( it was being built)

i can understand that technically it is not there, but it is being planned and will most likely be built( being documents were filed for it to be built)
so i guess what i meant was Poly was the only one that did not have one on seven seas( wether being planned or already built)

Jon_in_NC

Didn't the Poly rooms get upgraded fixtures, etc., on a rolling basis over the past three years? Why would they do that if they were planning on knocking the buildings down?

Exactly as above. I find the story very hard to believe as of right now. Although, if we want to talk blue sky ideas....what if they are thinking of building an Aulani clone to use as a hotel and DVC? I would think the DVC business model would show that the Magic Kingdom area DVCs are where people would drop the money to join.

Also, am I missing in the article where it gives any time frame for this closure/redo?

jmick71

Permits get filed all the time for things that are never built...just google "never built disney." There are hotels, resorts, rides, parks, all sorts of things that got planned but fell through. There are even things that had construction started, when it opens then I believe it, just my thoughts.

Here is a Wiki article as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_never_built_Disney_attractions

i know but idk if most of these things had permits, correct me if im wrong. most of them were well into planning stages. Additionally DVC makes allot of Disney's money, and most people would want time shares on the main monorail circuit right in front of the worlds most visited theme park( as shown with BLT)

captainkidd

Exactly as above. I find the story very hard to believe as of right now. Although, if we want to talk blue sky ideas....what if they are thinking of building an Aulani clone to use as a hotel and DVC? I would think the DVC business model would show that the Magic Kingdom area DVCs are where people would drop the money to join.

Also, am I missing in the article where it gives any time frame for this closure/redo?

True, but many of the Poly rooms are already in bad shape. I've stayed in a couple of them.

What if...

What if the Wilderness Lodge was added to the loop (would it really need that much more track?) before demo started at The Polynesian?

I know it's probably far fetched, but just wondering.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What if the Wilderness Lodge was added to the loop (would it really need that much more track?) before demo started at The Polynesian?

I know it's probably far fetched, but just wondering.
Tt would be a fair amount of track but that is not the only problem. You simply just can not tack to onto the existing track. To avoid causing downtime for the existing system you would need to add another terminal onto the TTC. It is certainly not something they would do just to temporarily replace a deluxe resort on the monorail line.

PhilharMagician

the building is being built, documents were filed with the South Florida Water Management District

The same type documents and drawings were filed months ago to SFWMD for a DVC addition in FW. I will believe it when either construction starts or it is officially announced.

magiconmainstrt

I highly doubt Disney will close down an entire Deluxe resort along the monorail and offer the same people who stay there OKW. Dosen't seem cost effective to shut the whole place down.

I agree---plus, stay at a resort with NO Monorail? Not for me, if I have a res at my favorite resort Poly!

jmick71

The same type documents and drawings were filed months ago to SFWMD for a DVC addition in FW. I will believe it when either construction starts or it is officially announced.

what is FW( Fort Wildernes lodge)
you also have to remember that it takes a wile for things to get started( FL almost 2 years i think) most things that are filed will eventually happen you just have to give it time, but sometimes they fall through

Kamikaze

Tt would be a fair amount of track but that is not the only problem. You simply just can not tack to onto the existing track. To avoid causing downtime for the existing system you would need to add another terminal onto the TTC. It is certainly not something they would do just to temporarily replace a deluxe resort on the monorail line.

That is actually the one monorail expansion I can ever see. A direct route, shuttle style, from the MK station to WL. Maybe with a bit of a loop towards Bay Lake in case they ever build a hotel over there.

Kamikaze

By AoA do you mean art of animation, if so it is being built which means that the permits were filed for a reason( it was being built)

You do know that AoA was started as part of Pop Century, right? And it was supposed to open in 2001?

jmick71

You do know that AoA was started as part of Pop Century, right? And it was supposed to open in 2001?

yah but the plan of it being part of pop century fell( AOA was never planned it was supposed to be Legendary Years) and they stopped building it.
i know that they started building, but then put it on hold, ( also events in our country ,indirectly, put on hold, if i recall correctly) but it is being built now.

but all that aside...
Poly is the only hotel around 7 seas that is on the monorail track that does not have a DVC planned ( i think it would be a big sell, it has a good location, but little room to build, they could expand the grass spots just in front and a little to the side of the Hawaii building to make a DVC)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom