Poly Refurb, DTD Night Show, and AoA...Oh my!

fyn

Original Poster
I'm not taking any credit for this.

http://www.disneygossip.com/2011/04/few-walt-disney-world-hotel-rumors.html

Most interesting bits:

DisneyGossip said:
Another function of the Art of Animation coming online, is that the extra capacity will allow Disney to close down parts of the Polynesian hotel for a long needed upgrade. Apparently construction in the 70s still used Asbestos and Disney needs to address this. Due the way the Poly was constructed, they won't be able to refurbish in place and instead will be erecting all new buildings.

The plan was to do this over time, but the whole resort might close down while they work on the main building with Ohana's and check-in. Look for Disney to shift as many existing reservations as they can to DVC properties like OKW and Saratoga Springs which are always under booked. Work continues on a new pool for Saratoga which should help it attract a few more guests. A new night-show at Downtown Disney could also help Saratoga, as long as you don't mind fireworks going off at 11pm nightly.

Discuss.

Kamikaze

How exactly does a new value effect the Poly in any way, shape, or form? Are they trying to say that Disney will bump everyone down a level?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Didn't the Poly rooms get upgraded fixtures, etc., on a rolling basis over the past three years? Why would they do that if they were planning on knocking the buildings down?

jmick71

could this mean a DVC for poly? being that they are building all new buildings, and it will be the only resort around 7 seas lagoon that does not have a DVC.

ajt5027

I highly doubt Disney will close down an entire Deluxe resort along the monorail and offer the same people who stay there OKW. Dosen't seem cost effective to shut the whole place down.

It mentions "rerouting" guests to OKW and SSR - that's not really being downgraded, they are villas, after all.

Maybe I read it wrong, but somehow I can't see an entire monorail resort being shut down at once...

jmick71

It mentions "rerouting" guests to OKW and SSR - that's not really being downgraded, they are villas, after all.

Maybe I read it wrong, but somehow I can't see an entire monorail resort being shut down at once...

i would imagine that they would do it one at a time(like how they are redoing the disneyland hotel in disneyland)

DaGoof00

What's next... the "confirmation of a 5th and 6th gate". Sorry but I fail to believe this...:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Kamikaze

the building is being built, documents were filed with the South Florida Water Management District

I understand. But you can't actually claim it exists until they are building it. Look at AoA. It has had all these permits and filings for TEN YEARS, and its not open.

Monorail to off monorail is a downgrade. Also, what are you going to do with those guests already at those resorts? Move them down too?

Usually when Disney has a resort being worked on, they upgrade (for no extra cost), not downgrade. That means GF and Contemp/BLT. I would think those would be offered to anyone who complains about the change to OKW and SSR.

Regardless, if Disney knew the buildings would have to come down, why would they choose to do such extensive updates just a few years ago? Something is wrong with the information as reported.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Monorail to off monorail is a downgrade. Also, what are you going to do with those guests already at those resorts? Move them down too?

Usually when Disney has a resort being worked on, they upgrade (for no extra cost), not downgrade. That means GF and Contemp/BLT. I would think those would be offered to anyone who complains about the change to OKW and SSR.
If this is in fact true what I see Disney doing is simply removing the Poly from availability or at least lowering its capacity if they only shut down a part of the resort. AoA will increase the room capacity of WDW enough to where they can do this without turning people away. I do agree that it is not a fair trade but some might be willing to give a value resort a whirl if it is a suite and it costs less. But just like the GF DVC it is all just rumor until dirt dirt starts getting moved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom