Poly Refurb, DTD Night Show, and AoA...Oh my!

I just can't see this happening. As someone who has stayed at the Poly and will be next trip, I would be extremely displeased with "moving" me to SS or OKW or even AoA. One of the reasons we choose to stay there and pay the price for it. is the easy access to MK and Epcot by using the monorail. So unledss they would plan on moving everyone to CR or GF, which wouldn't happen, I just do not see it happening the way they said it there.

Did anyone actually look at what this website has posted in the past?? Its all fake! They posted that the Jonas Brothers might replace Aerosmith on the Rock n' Roller Coaster and that bats were going to fly around in the HM Stretching room. Really don't trust what that gossip site says because all its predictions for past occurances were so untrue. I would take this claim with a HUGE grain of salt.

PlutosRHM55

This interesting. I'm pretty sure it is exactly true and I'm hoping since I would love to stay in a DVC villa at the Grand Floridian.

Tom

Beta Return
First, the GF DVC doesn't actually have building permits filed. They've only filed for a permit from the Drainage Board (Water Management), which is the most difficult part of getting a project off the drawing boards in Florida. This is step 1 of many.

As for asbestos, that reporting is far less than accurate. You only have to abate asbestos if you disturb it, or will otherwise cause it to become airborne. Otherwise, it is continuously grandfathered. When the Poly was built, the most common instances of asbestos use were in pipe insulation, and perhaps vinyl tile and/or flooring adhesives.

The components that hold up a building (i.e. foundations, steel) have never included asbestos, so there is no reason why a building would have to be torn down simply for remediation purposes. If they're going to remove and/or replace piping that's wrapped with asbestos insulation, they would simply quarantine the "hazard zone" (be it the room, hallway or building), remove the culprit products, and then proceed with normal construction or remodeling.

But they can remodel rooms all day without even affecting items containing asbestos, so to say that they're going to tear down entire buildings because of it is pure fiction. Poly is a cash cow - they would only close buildings if they absolutely have to, and never more than one at a time...or to replace one with DVC, but that's a ways off, if ever.

jmick71

I agree with the rumor on the GF... my sarcasm was directed to the claim of the bulldozing of the Polynesian - it will unlikely ever happen...
:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

o yah i could understand that LOL LOL, that is ridiculous LOL Disney would never make a crater out of one of there most popular hotels lol
if anything they would do what they are doing at the DL hotel lol:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

sillykid

2 of the long houses were built in 1985 and would probably have no sign of the stuff. There would be no reason to close those down. This all just seems to add up to another bad rumor.

robw1997

This is complete BS!!!!!!! The Polynesian had a HUGE refurbishment back in 2006. Disney would not just close one of their deluxe resorts and tear it down. I like the Polynesian just as it is. Who's with me?

disneyrcks

Thanks Tom-that is good to know about the asbestos.....I went to elementary school in the Bronx and in the 5th grade we had to have class in the gym while asbestos was removed from our classroom (along with all the other rooms in the school) so I have always been worried about the effects.

As far as moving booked rooms from Poly to other resorts, I feel if they have to do that then they should be other monorail resorts. As lovely as SSR and OKW are they do not have the proximity that the Poly offers which is one of the reasons people book the Poly. :shrug:

tikiman

I have been getting emails like crazy about these rumors and a few of these subjects are things I have discussed with people at the Polynesian for years and just today asked more about what is going on. Here is what I know and have been told.

First off they looked into DVC years ago and decided that there just is not enough land to think of building DVC. They considered taking one of the buildings (I believe Tahiti) and make it DVC rooms but then decided against it. As of right now they Polynesian is saying that DVC will never happen. They are still saying that today.

Now as far as asbestos from what I remember they removed all that and did work on the buildings back in 2002 (you can see the photos and history on my site http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/polynesian-history/aughts). I walked through some of the buildings and talked to the guys and they had the rooms gutted. This was before the redesign, in fact after they were gutted they rooms had all new stuff put in them but with the same look and design as the late 90’s. the new design rooms did not happen until 2005 where they again removed all the hard-goods and replaced them with the new design leaving nothing from the older design.

As of right now they are saying there is no plans for closing down or tearing down a longhouse or the whole resort. There are some issues with the GCH and they are considering tearing down that building but for now I can’t share any more details and from what I am told it will not happen any time soon.

The only near-term plans are the pool they are redesigning now and there are plans to redesign the rooms in the Tonga building (suites).

DaGoof00

Did anyone actually look at what this website has posted in the past?? Its all fake! They posted that the Jonas Brothers might replace Aerosmith on the Rock n' Roller Coaster and that bats were going to fly around in the HM Stretching room. Really don't trust what that gossip site says because all its predictions for past occurances were so untrue. I would take this claim with a HUGE grain of salt.

I couldn't agree more! :sohappy:

DaGoof00

I have been getting emails like crazy about these rumors and a few of these subjects are things I have discussed with people at the Polynesian for years and just today asked more about what is going on. Here is what I know and have been told.

First off they looked into DVC years ago and decided that there just is not enough land to think of building DVC. They considered taking one of the buildings (I believe Tahiti) and make it DVC rooms but then decided against it. As of right now they Polynesian is saying that DVC will never happen. They are still saying that today.

Now as far as asbestos from what I remember they removed all that and did work on the buildings back in 2002 (you can see the photos and history on my site http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/polynesian-history/aughts). I walked through some of the buildings and talked to the guys and they had the rooms gutted. This was before the redesign, in fact after they were gutted they rooms had all new stuff put in them but with the same look and design as the late 90’s. the new design rooms did not happen until 2005 where they again removed all the hard-goods and replaced them with the new design leaving nothing from the older design.

As of right now they are saying there is no plans for closing down or tearing down a longhouse or the whole resort. There are some issues with the GCH and they are considering tearing down that building but for now I can’t share any more details and from what I am told it will not happen any time soon.

The only near-term plans are the pool they are redesigning now and there are plans to redesign the rooms in the Tonga building (suites).

Thanks for the update!!!! :king:

flavious27

Tom

Beta Return

Thanks for the info, Tikiman. This pretty much validates what I've said and believe.

FTA:"Due the way the Poly was constructed, they won't be able to refurbish in
place and instead will be erecting all new buildings. "

So Disney is going to also demolish the contemporary also?

Disney started to remove Asbestos in 89, they would have removed any at poly when they did the remodel a few years back.

The person who posted this "asbestos news flash" on Chip & Co (not sure if they were first, or merely copying/pasting) was also 100% sure they were going to re-release Free Dining last Friday. She stated that she had inside sources telling her that all the phone agents had been offered overtime for Friday, and that other sources confirmed that Free Dining was coming back and that this was going to be the BIG NEWS Friday morning. Oddly, last Friday came and went with no free dining, and only a press conference on Shanghai. Coincidentally, Friday morning is also when the general public could start booking the new Disney cruises....which might have required a few extra reservation agents.

In summary, the "source" of the what I think was the initial "news" is not 100% reliable. And the mere thought that they'd tear down Poly buildings to remove asbestos is absurd.

I personally long for a Poly DVC building, but as Tikiman said, there just flat out isn't room, without tearing down an existing longhouse or the luau building...or retrofitting standard guest rooms (and we see how well that worked out at Jambo). :rolleyes:

PhilharMagician

FTA:"Due the way the Poly was constructed, they won't be able to refurbish in
place and instead will be erecting all new buildings. "

So Disney is going to also demolish the contemporary also?

Disney started to remove Asbestos in 89, they would have removed any at poly when they did the remodel a few years back.

Read what I bolded from Tikiman's post. The only issue apparently left with the Poly is the GCH which did not get the total gutting that the longhouses received. That would be some project if they had to tear down the GCH.

Tom

Beta Return
Read what I bolded from Tikiman's post. The only issue apparently left with the Poly is the GCH which did not get the total gutting that the longhouses received. That would be some project if they had to tear down the GCH.

Right.

It would NEVER be cost-justifiable to tear down the GCH. They'd have to move check-in operations to a trailer complex, and they'd lose the enormous revenue generated by Ohana - not to mention the other shops and Kona.

And since you don't have to remove asbestos until you actually disturb it, they're not obligated to do anything about it. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of occupied buildings in this country that are full of asbestos. And unless the stuff become airborne (i.e. someone tears apart the insulation on a pipe or starts tearing up floor tile that was glued down with asbestos adhesive), there's no risk to anyone.

This is simply another case of someone overreacting to something that isn't a big deal at all. Someone told someone who told someone else that they heard from a bus driver that there was ASBESTOS :eek: in the Poly and all the guests were going to die unless they tore the buildings down! END OF THE WORLD! DOOMSDAY! ASBESTOS IS THE DEVIL!

Whew. I'm OK now :) And caveat: yes, asbestos is a serious matter, but again, not unless it becomes airborne, which doesn't happen until you start hacking into it.

flavious27

The person who posted this "asbestos news flash" on Chip & Co (not sure if they were first, or merely copying/pasting) was also 100% sure they were going to re-release Free Dining last Friday. She stated that she had inside sources telling her that all the phone agents had been offered overtime for Friday, and that other sources confirmed that Free Dining was coming back and that this was going to be the BIG NEWS Friday morning. Oddly, last Friday came and went with no free dining, and only a press conference on Shanghai. Coincidentally, Friday morning is also when the general public could start booking the new Disney cruises....which might have required a few extra reservation agents.

In summary, the "source" of the what I think was the initial "news" is not 100% reliable. And the mere thought that they'd tear down Poly buildings to remove asbestos is absurd.

I personally long for a Poly DVC building, but as Tikiman said, there just flat out isn't room, without tearing down an existing longhouse or the luau building...or retrofitting standard guest rooms (and we see how well that worked out at Jambo). :rolleyes:

This is why any disney rumor I always take with a grain of state the size of wdw. Disney would not close down poly unless they are forced to, and it would take a force of god for them to demo a hotel.

As for a DVC at poly, room is tight there. They could convert Tuvalu, Fiji, and Aotearona to DVC units. They also could build stilt houses in the 7 seas lagoon to be used as dvc villas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom