Poly or Contemporary

mdubm

Original Poster
I know, age old question. We're booked for one night in Poly and we'll be spending one day in MK. I can't help but worry when I read the reviews for Poly. They're so mixed, but it seems like people are really feeling they're paying way too much to be underwhelmed at Poly.
Currently there's a Bay Lake view room at Contemporary for $80 more than our standard view at Poly. Do I make the switch?
Also, we are 10 days out and this one night we paid for by itself, no ticket package with it. Would we be penalized to switch?

mousehockey37

It's 1 night. Not nearly long enough to get immersed in anything resort wide, but honestly, does it matter? If you're not going to be in the room long enough except to sleep, what's it matter?

rob0519

Honestly, having stayed in both, the Bay Lake view at the CR isn't all that special. You do get the sunrise, but that's about it. However, since you are spending that one day in the MK it is walking distance to the park. No monorail waits, no boats, no buses and of you've never stayed at he CR, the monorail running through the building is pretty cool. I'm not sure that's worth $80.

Disney4family

Go with your gut. Actually write out a pro & con list for both and look at it. Flip a coin. Are you disappointed with the result? Are you happy? Then you've answered your question.
It'll be tough to get a one way or the other answer here. You'll get solid responses for both resorts. Loyalty runs high and deep for both resorts.
For example, I know the Poly is beautiful. I know it's classic WDW. I just haven't gotten myself there yet to try it - which is great for those who love it dearly. I won't take up a room. As I've said here before, my memories of WDW as a kid were taking the express monorail from the TTC to the MK - which goes straight through the Contemporary. To be able to stay at BLT/Cont. is a childhood dream come true that I haven't been able to shake yet. I love it there.
Also, as others have said, the convenience of the walk to the MK can't be beat. We also enjoy watching the Electrical Water Pageant from our balcony (yes - I know you can watch it from the Poly beach). We also enjoy the shops & restaurants and having the monorail run right through the Contemporary is pretty cool to this day.
My kids would love to try other resorts & I'm sure one day we will. I think. Maybe. We'll see.:rolleyes:

correcaminos

We are bigger fans of the Polynesian honestly. The theming of the Contemporary is lacking and the pool as well. I would not pay more for a bay lake view either. Polynesisn has multiple ways to get to MK so if one is down, you have options. The walk from Contemporary is nice to have, but can feel long.

Spike-in-Berlin

Until they gutted the Polynesian I would have always recommended the Poly over the Contemporary, although we had some problems with the mousekeeping in our room during our long 6 day stay there in 2010 and the following visits, the lush, south seas atmosphere still made it up for us. But since I saw the results of the "refurbishing" which made the Poly lobby the "Honolulu Hilton" and replaced the volcano at the Lava Pool with some unrecognizable rocks, I decided to never stay there again. I consider the Contemporary more interesting now, especially after we saw the rooms in the A-Frame which were especially nice, actually reminded of the Hyperion Resort in Space Mountain.

correcaminos

Until they gutted the Polynesian I would have always recommended the Poly over the Contemporary, although we had some problems with the mousekeeping in our room during our long 6 day stay there in 2010 and the following visits, the lush, south seas atmosphere still made it up for us. But since I saw the results of the "refurbishing" which made the Poly lobby the "Honolulu Hilton" and replaced the volcano at the Lava Pool with some unrecognizable rocks, I decided to never stay there again. I consider the Contemporary more interesting now, especially after we saw the rooms in the A-Frame which were especially nice, actually reminded of the Hyperion Resort in Space Mountain.
You do know the water fountain had to go right?

DisneyPrincess5

I loved both. Honestly, if you aren't staying in the main tower at the Contemporary, you risk feeling underwhelmed there too. My recommendation would be the Poly but you can't go wrong with either, if nothing else but for the location.

squidward

Poly, hands down. Even after the changes, which certainly weren't for the better, it's still a beautiful resort with great theming and excellent food. Contemporary is just too plain looking. Given you can get a room at the GF for the same money as a Tower Room, I would take that hands down.

StarshipDisney

We have stayed at both and vote Contemporary hands down. The convenience of the short walk from the bus stop or Monorail to your tower room or vice versa beats Poly. I guess that can depend on which longhouse you get at Poly, but our walk to the Ticket/Transportation center was shorter than walking to the Great Ceremonial House.

I'll take Ohana over California Grill any day, but as far as a place to stay goes, Contemporary's sheer walking convenience cannot be beat. Magic Kingdom view rooms in the tower are also awesome and provide a better view than what you can get at Poly.

21stamps

We have stayed at both and vote Contemporary hands down. The convenience of the short walk from the bus stop or Monorail to your tower room or vice versa beats Poly. I guess that can depend on which longhouse you get at Poly, but our walk to the Ticket/Transportation center was shorter than walking to the Great Ceremonial House.

I'll take Ohana over California Grill any day, but as far as a place to stay goes, Contemporary's sheer walking convenience cannot be beat. Magic Kingdom view rooms in the tower are also awesome and provide a better view than what you can get at Poly.

This has been my only hesitation with booking the Contemporary. At Poly and GF the theme park view rooms have a lagoon view as well, with the EWP right out front and the fireworks reflecting off the lake. I love sitting in front of the balcony having breakfast in the morning.
I also love taking the boat back from MK, especially at night. And then there's the CR slide...lol.

I really do want to stay there soon, and I keep talking myself out of it. It helps reading comments like yours though..One of the most attractive things in my opinion, is that everything is in the same building

mdubm

Original Poster
Thanks all for your replies! I think both places have different offerings that will appeal more to different people. We got a pretty good deal on Poly, which may never be that good again, so we're going to stick with it. I guess I'll just have to do CR next time (if it fits the budget).

21stamps

Just want to add, I've paid for theme park view at both the Poly and GF and wouldn't do it again. Waste of money.
Did you not spend a lot of time in your room? I feel they are 'worth it', but we order room service a few times and just hang out on the balcony enjoying the view and electrical water pageant. If you aren't in the room much then it is a complete waste of money.

Last year my vacation was getting a little out of control monetarily (for me).,I had also added an extra night at MK into our plans, and because of the combination of the 2 I downgraded from TPV to Lagoon at GF. I second guessed my decision a million times.. luckily the 'Lagoon View' actually had a MK view!!! I won't tempt fate twice though, back to tpv from now on.

DisneyJunkie

It's 1 night. Not nearly long enough to get immersed in anything resort wide, but honestly, does it matter? If you're not going to be in the room long enough except to sleep, what's it matter?

Exactly, great point. For one night, go with a value resort and use the money you save for souvenirs or other goodies.

drwadadli

That is a tough decision.

I am an island person so for me it is Poly all the way!!!! Be sides that, you can watch the fireworks from the beach while enjoying a cocktail, walk to the Grand Floridian for Lunch and walk to the TTC to get the monorail to Epcot. That is why my wife loves the Poly. We also like the CR because you can very easily walk to MK and avoid the boat or monorail (all the way around). You are also one stop away from the TTC to get to Epcot.

Be sides those opinions, I don't think you can go wrong with either resort. They are both GREAT!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom