Poll: New Epcot Center

Do you think WDI should add a section to Epcot's Future World with retired Epcot Center rides?

• Yes, I miss these rides

Votes: 37 50.0%
  • No, never bring back the old

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I Don't Care, I never experienced these

Votes: 10 13.5%

• Total voters

Tom

Beta Return
Things go away for a reason. It costs a lot of money to close and replace something. When it comes to attractions, they're actually closed, changed or replaced for a reason...with the primary reason being lack of interest or negative feedback from guests.

Yes, us old timers miss the attractions of the past, but I (longingly) look forward to attractions of the future as well.

ImagineerDude

Things go away for a reason. It costs a lot of money to close and replace something. When it comes to attractions, they're actually closed, changed or replaced for a reason...with the primary reason being lack of interest or negative feedback from guests.

Yes, us old timers miss the attractions of the past, but I (longingly) look forward to attractions of the future as well.
Very well said!

I don't care, I've never experienced these things :) That's just the way life works I guess!

Tom

Beta Return
TDO might consider it just to shut us all up about Imagination.

Imagination would be the exception. They wouldn't actually have to tear down anything or build a new facility. Just get rid of that sad excuse of a ride and bring back the original. Heck, they can even "plus" it for all I care....just make the pavilion less of an embarrassment.

Ignohippo

Imagination, yes.

Otherwise, I'd rather see the money go towards new and exciting things. The problem isn't really that what they got rid of was so magnificent, the problem was that they lost attractions without replacing them and have let too many others languish and become stale.

MerlinTheGoat

Imagination is one ride in all of Epcot that would still work today IMO with little to no change. It would really only need a bit of minor plussing and I feel it would still be an awesome ride. It's the one ride though that I actually wouldn't mind much at all if it came back exactly how it was.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Disney could redo Epcot and revive old rides like Horizons and World of Motion. I'd enjoy revivals of those attractions, and I'd still MUCH rather have their original unaltered incarnations than what replaced them. But if they were somehow rebuilt, they should most certainly come with upgrades to many of the scenes to incorporate our present view of what we imagine the future to be like. Horizons especially. World of Motion has a more "travel through the past" feel to it so a lot of its show scenes don't need to be altered TOO drastically.

Horizons would require a more substantial improvement to its future scenes. It could be done, and i really don't think it would be all that hard to do. It's message has a timeless theme to it and many of its scenes still do seem pretty futuristic. For example, maybe change the decor a bit as well as the peoples' hairstyles and clothes to make the ride feel somewhat less dated. I COULD see it working. It's what they should have been doing with the ride since the beginning- kept the core ride and even the same scenes but just keep plussing them every 5 years or so to keep it up with our current perception of the future.

As it stands, the only ride I could see getting a revival is Imagination perhaps. In one way or another anyways. Doubt they're going to do anything with Horizons or WoM. Only other hope I can hold out on is fixing Spaceship Earth's descent and bringing back some maturity and dignity to the dialog. Though i'm still extremely glad that the Time Racers concept didn't happen.

pumpkin7

I voted yes, eventhough I know it will never happen. I suppose though it's better to look to the future than to the past, but there are a few rides that I never got to experience and I would have liked to like Horizons, Cranium Command. I suppose there's always YouTube and Martin's Videos to keep me entertained.
Oh Kitchen Cabaret looked like it was fun too. Lol

copcarguyp71

I voted no....City Of Tomorrow means never looking back. Would I like to ride them again...yes. Is it in keeping with the spirit of Epcot...not so much IMO. I would rather embrace and preserve the essence of Walts' vision than feed my own appetite for nostalgia.

Tom

Beta Return
Don't forget Horizons...In my opinion that was the crown jewel of EPCOT and basically stood for everything EPCOT was supposed to be.

Well, I only said Imagination because it's still there, and would just require a minor interior remodel. If this thread throws reality out the window and assumes anything can happen, sure, I'd take all the old Epcot rides back. But if we're talkint about feasible things, Horizons and WoM aren't, unfortunately.

Susan Savia

I never did understand why they removed Horizons and The World of Transportation. Two great attractions. And although we enjoy Imagination, it's a shame they had to ruin it. It was so much more fun before it was
changed. Spaceship Earth was wonderful with the beautiful lights as you came back down, but now its got that silly graphics on the screen and blank walls. Sad.

CP_alum08

No. Putting old rides and old technology back into EPCOT would be the very opposite of what the park is meant to be. The very first letter stands for "Experimental" which in my mind means things should always be changing and WDI should be constantly trying new ideas.

wiigirl

Look to the past... But don't repeat it. ;)

Thats a good point...but then again, I love the rides when I was younger.
75.gif

AndyS2992

No. Disney needs to move forward. Get rid of the old and make way for newer and better atrractions to take their place. Especially in Future World as it needs to be focused on the future, not the past.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen đź’ś
Premium Member
While I miss Horizons and WOM dearly, I know that the chances of those attractions being brought back are slim to none. What I would like to see however would be a sort of renaissance at EPCOT as we move forward from the 30th anniversary.

It's simple really:
- Update UoE because it desperately needs to be current and relevant again.
- Update JII and make it timeless again the way it used to be.
- It would be a lot to ask of them to remove Nemo entirely from The Seas and restore it to its former glory, but perhaps the attraction could be less focused on the characters from the onset. A pavilion with manatees and sting rays living inside does not need plastic cartoon fish outside of it to make it interesting. In fact, what I would do is restore the entrance of the pavilion and put a more temporary sign up to advertise Turtle Talk.
- Do something with the WoL building. I would love to see a pavilion about meteorology or geology.

With the updated Test Track already on its way, I believe that with these four updates/changes, Future World would be wonderful again.

luv

As always, I think any extra funds should be put into existing things. I'd prefer to have the things that exist be amazing than have them build more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom