Pokemon Go in Disney World

dreamfinder912

I was at Magic Kingdom yesterday and while you could pick out the people playing it leaned more toward an observant guest noticing plainclothes security than a rowdy tour group. I had no one playing the game walk into me, stop suddenly, or go running in the direction of a Pokemon. This, like most things other people do at theme parks, is only an issue if you make it one.

mouse_luv

Prime example of what happens when you only read news headlines and not the entire article. o_O

Literacy is your friend!

:rolleyes: This is the pot calling the kettle black is it not? You're judging right back, and quite rudely I might add. Everyone in this thread needs to chill.

Bairstow

I downloaded this game last week but only got into it this past weekend when I was waiting in line for coasters at Holiday World.
It's a great way to pass the time when all the little stations are so close together.

I've been wondering now- what's the situation like at the individual WDW resorts like animal kingdom Lodge or the monorail loop- are there lots of different stations there too?

DfromATX

Actually... both my sons love this game and we just got back from Disney. Most of the time they just wanted to hunt for Pokemon after the parks at the hotel (and they reported a lot of other kids out playing too). They seem to be having a lot of fun with it. I don't understand all the hate either. Wow.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Actually... both my sons love this game and we just got back from Disney. Most of the time they just wanted to hunt for Pokemon after the parks at the hotel (and they reported a lot of other kids out playing too). They seem to be having a lot of fun with it. I don't understand all the hate either. Wow.

Again, I don't hate the game. I think it is a silly waste of time, but to hate the game is ridiculous. If people would actually read the thread they would see that it is the careless people that I cannot stand. This game seems to bring more of them out in larger groups than just the average person walking and texting. That is what I was asking about the entire time. People half read comments like this and jump the gun flaming people either for things they have not said or the person's opinion. I think the game is silly = my opinion. There can be massive amounts of people playing this thing in large groups causing issues in both vehicle traffic and pedestrian traffic = fact. Apparently it is not a problem at Disney World = Fact and question answered. ;)

DfromATX

Again, I don't hate the game. I think it is a silly waste of time, but to hate the game is ridiculous. If people would actually read the thread they would see that it is the careless people that I cannot stand. This game seems to bring more of them out in larger groups than just the average person walking and texting. That is what I was asking about the entire time. People half read comments like this and jump the gun flaming people either for things they have not said or the person's opinion. I think the game is silly = my opinion. There can be massive amounts of people playing this thing in large groups causing issues in both vehicle traffic and pedestrian traffic = fact. Apparently it is not a problem at Disney World = Fact and question answered. ;)

Hey, I grew up without technology so I think a lot of things today are silly. I don't even have Facebook. THIS website is pretty much the only "social" website I'm on. The only games I play are Scrabble and Yahtzee lol. But... my kids, well, it's their world (technology speaking). My son, who is 20, grew up with Pokémon. He had the cards and watched the cartoon. I'm sure at some point we even had a Pokémon-themed birthday party. Anyway, my comment about lots of hate was not directed at you. I admit I only skimmed through, but there were several other posts that were pretty harsh - all for just a silly game. I agree that people (young and old) have their noses in their phones WAY too much these days, but that's the way it is, whether we like it or not. And, I'd agree that people trespassing or doing stupid things playing this game is bad too. I recently read an article on my local news about people playing this game at the Arlington Cemetary! Very inappropriate! If people were playing at Disney, and I'm sure they were, but I didn't notice. I just know my sons (but not my 2 step daughters) went out each night when we got back to the hotel to play the game. I don't know much about the game, but apparently, you can find different Pokémon in different states. Maybe the game will eventually fade, but Pokemon itself will not, too many lifelong fans. And, there will always be something for us to gripe about.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
13872891_10154394023778464_97366143476997496_n.jpg

Marco226

So, I've been playing Pokemon Go for a couple of weeks now whenever I'm at the beach, and it's a fun game to play with friends. But... if a person has his or her face glued to the phone while walking and playing, they're not doing it right, and they deserve to get yelled at if they bump into you.. or have a deafening fog horn blasted at them.

There's a vibrate feature that lets players know when a Pokemon pops up, so people should be able to walk normally with their heads up and their phone in their hand. There's also a radar system that shows how far or near a Pokemon is to the player, but still, you're supposed to just glance at it and move on, not stare at it while walking.

I read some posts, though, that some people will knock into the person and cause their phone to drop and break. I don't know if they are joking, but I think that behavior is also kinda wrong. Like the saying "two wrongs don't make a right". Sorry, I'm not trying to sound like an afterschool Barney special, but this just reminds me of something that happened a few years ago in MK:

I was walking behind woman #1, and I heard her say to someone like, "oh look, she's about to run into me." I look up and see woman #2 texting while walking briskly toward the exit. #1 keeps walking forward and rams her shoulder into #2 while shouting "pay attention!". #2 drops her phone, but while picking it up she shouts back "(something something) my mom was just in a car wreck, you [bleeping bleep]," and she runs out of the exit.

Well, I don't know the exact details, but it looked like to me she was just in panic mode while texting to other people about her family emergency and trying to get somewhere asap. I'm bringing this up because I don't think we should automatically assume people are playing games on their phone and cause them physical damage because they stepped into our personal space. Just stay calm, share the sidewalk, and speak up if someone is acting dumb.. but don't hurt them. That just makes things worse.

TL;DR
I think a simple "excuse me, please" or "hey, look out" would suffice instead of causing physical pain or damage to someone on their phone. Yes, I agree that people should never walk while playing phone games and/or texting, but sometimes people get distracted by something at the wrong moment. Just say something loud enough to wake them up and get them out of your way. That's all.

danyoung56

If people would actually read the thread they would see that it is the careless people that I cannot stand.

I don't have a problem with your opinion - in fact I tend to agree with it. But you have to admit that your original posts had a certain "you kids get off of my lawn" vibe to 'em.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
I don't have a problem with your opinion - in fact I tend to agree with it. But you have to admit that your original posts had a certain "you kids get off of my lawn" vibe to 'em.

And that part of this conversation is over with. Your post has a sort of "I see that this argument has died down now so it's about time I ramp it back up again." vibe to it. ;)

Sans Souci

I read this thread before I went out for a long walk. Didn't I keep seeing the same guy walking around at various point on my walk? He was driving around the neighborhood, getting out of his car and walking around while looking down at his phone. :hilarious:

EPICOT

Funny that many people are saying that someone's hobby (Pokemon Go) is a waste of time while at the same time would fiercely defend their hobby (Disney) if attacked. Let people enjoy what they want to enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom