Pokemon Go in Disney World

HurricaneHanna

We were at Disney on the day the game came out. My husband downloaded it and I must say we had a lot of fun with it. It was also a great diversion activity for him in the morning or before dinner when he was waiting for me to get ready as I take much longer than him. He hasn't kept up with it since we returned home but it was fun on vacation. We saw a lot of people playing, of all ages, especially around our resort area. No one was bothering anyone.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
We were at Disney on the day the game came out. My husband downloaded it and I must say we had a lot of fun with it. It was also a great diversion activity for him in the morning or before dinner when he was waiting for me to get ready as I take much longer than him. He hasn't kept up with it since we returned home but it was fun on vacation. We saw a lot of people playing, of all ages, especially around our resort area. No one was bothering anyone.

That's good to hear. This craze has just gotten out of control in cities lately. We were in St.Louis Missouri on vacation when it first kicked off and it was an absolute nightmare driving around the city. Aside from nobody in St.Louis knowing what a stop sign or stop light looks like and running them we had to watch out for people just walking right across the middle of the road staring at their phones. I thought they were texting. It was only after we got home before I realized that they were probably playing Pokemon Go because it was groups of people doing it. I'm just glad it's not gotten out of hand at Disney World.

HurricaneHanna

That's good to hear. This craze has just gotten out of control in cities lately. We were in St.Louis Missouri on vacation when it first kicked off and it was an absolute nightmare driving around the city. Aside from nobody in St.Louis knowing what a stop sign or stop light looks like and running them we had to watch out for people just walking right across the middle of the road staring at their phones. I thought they were texting. It was only after we got home before I realized that they were probably playing Pokemon Go because it was groups of people doing it. I'm just glad it's not gotten out of hand at Disney World.
I don't think anyone should be doing anything when they're driving except paying attention to the road. Doesn't matter if it's texting, eating, fiddling with music, disciplining children, grooming, reading, or playing Pokemon. Same goes for walking in/near traffic. The game isn't the problem, but I have heard stories of people having accidents while playing. I even saw a headline about someone falling off a cliff.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
I don't think anyone should be doing anything when they're driving except paying attention to the road. Doesn't matter if it's texting, eating, fiddling with music, disciplining children, grooming, reading, or playing Pokemon. Same goes for walking in/near traffic. The game isn't the problem, but I have heard stories of people having accidents while playing. I even saw a headline about someone falling off a cliff.

I saw that news story too. It blew my mind. I couldn't imagine being near a cliff like that and have my attention on anything other than where my feet are going.

draybook

Anyone who is busy looking down at their phone and not noticing that they're about to run into me will be shouldered like it's game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. My policy doesn't change no matter what the occasion or fad might be. The only exceptions I make is for little kids and/pregnant women. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get out my metal grinder to get my bladed shoulder pads ready for September.

But seriously, I do enjoy a good game of "bounce off" with people who distractedly walk directly into me.

Walt Disney1955

I am the last person in the world that follows the crowd with the new fad and such so this game would not interest me in anyway, but what is scary to me is the mind control that you need to play this game. There already is a problem in the world with texting and people having their thumb glued to their phone and heads down. This just makes it worse. I can't see how a person could stumble into WDW doing this and if a person is playing Pokémon GO at WDW with all the money they (or their parents) played they should give their head a shake.

Why spend all that money to go to Disney World and then walk around all day with your face looking down....as it is people spend too much time starring at their phones, etc.
Because they're not spending all day with their face looking down. The game will alert you when you are near a Pokemon, so you don't have to be constantly on your phone, and in fact, the game has augmented reality, where you're forced to look around your surroundings to find where the Pokemon is.

epcotisbest

Why spend all that money to go to Disney World and then walk around all day with your face looking down....as it is people spend too much time starring at their phones, etc.
Last time we were at Chef Mickey's, there was a family of five near us and both parents were doing something with their phones as two kids were using iPads and the youngest had a smaller tablet of some sort. Sad. They seemed to be missing out. I don't get it and I certainly don't get the pokewhatever thing.

HurricaneHanna

To those asking "why spend all that money going to Disney and then spend time looking at your phone (and other versions of same)?"
Maybe I go to Disney for a different reason then you do. I go to relax and de-stress and to completely detach myself from my normal routine. Some days we go to the parks. Some days we just wander around the resort. Some days we don't even get up until late afternoon. If I want to play a game or send a text or even watch television, why do you care how I spend my time or my money? I'm not bothering you. I never walk around looking down. I've never bumped into anyone. I've never had, nor created, any type of negative altercation with another guest. I think maybe, as is often the case, there are too many generalizations being made. There are annoying, distracted, selfish people everywhere. Just because some of them are playing this game it doesn't automatically mean that everyone playing it is also annoying, distracted, and/or selfish.

epcotisbest

I saw that news story too. It blew my mind. I couldn't imagine being near a cliff like that and have my attention on anything other than where my feet are going.
We had a news report of a local cemetery where these idiots were walking across graves and stepping on flowers while in pursuit of this craziness. No respect at all.

epcotisbest

To those asking "why spend all that money going to Disney and then spend time looking at your phone (and other versions of same)?"
Maybe I go to Disney for a different reason then you do. I go to relax and de-stress and to completely detach myself from my normal routine. Some days we go to the parks. Some days we just wander around the resort. Some days we don't even get up until late afternoon. If I want to play a game or send a text or even watch television, why do you care how I spend my time or my money? I'm not bothering you. I never walk around looking down. I've never bumped into anyone. I've never had, nor created, any type of negative altercation with another guest. I think maybe, as is often the case, there are too many generalizations being made. There are annoying, distracted, selfish people everywhere. Just because some of them are playing this game it doesn't automatically mean that everyone playing it is also annoying, distracted, and/or selfish.
No, not everyone.

jasmine217

I downloaded Pokemon Go because whenever there's a new "craze", I generally like to check it out and see what it's all about. It's cute, but not ultra addictive to me. When I was at Disney last weekend, I sometimes opened the app to play when I was bored in line or waiting for our dinner reservation. Even when you're walking around playing the game, it doesn't require your eyes to be glued to the screen; your phone will vibrate when a Pokemon appears so you don't have to actively look for them. I know some people take it to an extreme, but I got a kick out of seeing other people of all ages playing while waiting around for things and didn't notice it being disruptive at all. I think this is mainly because the vast majority of people are not at Disney solely to play Pokemon Go; that would be pretty cost-prohibitive.

imperius

For every negative news report about Pokemon there are 100 of great stories of people making friends, getting off their butts and being active and even a way for parents to bond with their kids and share a piece of their childhood with their children.
Stop it. The game is the devil and ruining America.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom