PO Riverside vs POFQ -- Which is better?

knudsos

We are thinking about staying at one of these resorts? What is the difference besides the size of the resort? We have one 5 year old that will love the pool. Which building would you request to stay in at either resort? We would like to be close to the bus and pool but also somewhat quiet.

Thanks

Pioneer Hall

I personally like French Quarter more, mainly because of its size. The small area of the resort allows you to be in any building and not have a far walk to any of the main guest areas. You will also get to use any of the ammenities at POR, as a POFQ guest.

Upvote 0

TTFN-Tiggger

I have only stayed at POFQ and enjoyed it a lot. For a moderate hotel is was smaller so the distance from the rooms to the pool, food court etc was nice. Also the bus service - FQ is the first stop so you know you will have a seat vs standing on the way to the parks. I have heard a lot of good things out Riverside as well - trying that this fall.

Upvote 0

KnightRonin

I like the French Quarter, having stayed there twice now. It's quiet, beautifully themed, and all-around nice. The slide at the pool was a definite highlight for the kids. Being the first stop on the bus route is also a plus, as pointed out by one of the above posters.

Being in such close proximity to Riverside, my family and I got a nice long look at the place, and it looks very pretty; however, I can't seem to get past the negative connotations of the Plantation atmosphere and the enormity of the place. It almost seems like you'd get lost if you took the wrong sidewalk.

My oldest son would also decry Riverside's lack of Beignets, but that's his own burden.

Upvote 0

vilegirl

I've only stayed at Riverside, but I have visited FQ. Personally, I prefer Riverside. I just like the theming better and to me it's a little more spacious and open.

I highly recommend at least visiting FQ for the beignets though!:slurp:

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Riverside, Building 14 in Alligator Bayou (close to buses, main building, Ol'Man Island, and marina). Very quiet and somewhat secluded, yet close enough for a 5 year old that their little legs won't get tired. (I have a DS, 5, and we always request this building--it's perfect).

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

Stay at Port Orleans Riverside and request ( in your reservation ) a room in the Parterre Place building. It's near the lobby and food court and the main bus stop.
Have fun.
:)

Upvote 0

tunaman68

A second for building 14 Alligator Bayou in POR. The location was perfect, close to the food court, and main pool, but quiet in the woods - we had a room facing a beautiful meadow with pine trees and bunny rabbits!!

The FQ felt too much like a city to us. Straight streets and buildings close to each other. The POR is more spread out and secluded which for us was a good thing. We are from the city, so the rual feel of POR was great.

That being said, the POFQ was cute and more compact which might be good for little legs. The slide at the pool at FQ is a lot smaller and less intense which also might appeal to your little one. Both have the boat to DTD, and you can food court hop to get some variety between the two resorts if you wish. Can't really go wrong with either one!

Have Fun!!

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Kirstie Alley!
No! Shelley Long!
What ... no votes for Rhea Perlman???

I've only driven through POR on a bus, ONCE, when I stayed at POFQ. So I can't comment on POR except that, like all the Disney Moderates, it looks lovely.

I absolutely love POFQ. I also love CBR, but what makes me like POFQ the best is its compact size. Before staying there, I'd stayed twice at CBR, and loved it BECAUSE it was spread out, which made it feel relaxing and tranquil and seemed like it was never crowded.

But then I experienced the CONVENIENCE of a small resort like POFQ. It wasn't a long walk to/from anything. For example, if we went to the food court and I forgot my refillable mug, I could WALK (not run) to my fairly "far away" room at the far side of Building 2 in two minutes flat, and then 2 minutes back. At a farther away room at POR (or CBR), I'd just end up wasting money on a soft drink rather than getting my money's worth with the mug. Just a tiny example, but I hope a useful illustration.

Another example: my wife and I are both tired in the late afternoon, but we know the kids want and deserve some pool time. She stays in the room and rests, I go to the pool with the kids. A half hour later, she comes to the pool to switch with me, but she doesn't feel like she needs a rest after a long walk to the pool, because the walk is so short from anywhere.

Upvote 0

LilDucky

We've never stayed in POR, but we loved POFQ. We've done CBR and Coronado, but POFQ has been our favorite so far of the moderates. It's less spread out than the other ones so it's a short walk to the food court and the pool/hot tubs. As mentioned before, it shares buses with POR, but FQ was always the first stop, which is great in the morning because you always get a seat, and great in the evening because you don't go through a million stops just to get back to your room.

If you choose FQ, I'd recommend building 5. It's the closest building to everything, but really, you cant go wrong with any building.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Yes...stayed there during our last visit...

much closer...

but I did miss walking by the main pool... when we stayed at Magnolia...

Stay at Port Orleans Riverside and request ( in your reservation ) a room in the Parterre Place building. It's near the lobby and food court and the main bus stop.
Have fun.
:)

Upvote 0

Camille59

Have to agree with H2O Babie. Port Orleans RS building 14 is close to the main entrance where you will find the food court, main pool, boat access to Downtown and the first bus stop for Riverside. This sometimes causes problems, though, because everyone seems to flock to the South depot bus stop for that exact reason. However, your 5 year old may be very interested in having his/her own bed, and Alligator Bayou is the only place in RS that has a trundle bed included in the room. Can be a pretty cool experience. I don't have much 411 on FQ. You didn't say when you were coming. If it's within the month, you might want to consider FQ because RS's food court is currently being refurbished and the guests are not happy about that. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Put it this way ... we love POR so much, we are still staying there despite their food court rehab. Yes, we love it.

(BTW, the food court is still serving a limited menu. It is not totally closed per se.)

Too bad my DL mug won't refill anymore (JJ, sort of).

Upvote 0

ryguy

I have stayed at both and like Riverside better. Basically the reason FQ is popular is the size. If that doesn't matter to you, stay at Riverside. The food court is far better at Riverside (more Options), and the themeing I like better. The color of the rooms and the decor wasn't my taste at FQ. Never stayed in Alligator Bayou, but I would recommend Magnolia Bend. The Partaire Place building is nice. One thing to keep in mind is if you will be using the bus system. FQ is a better option if you rely on the buses. Some will think I am crazy for saying this but personally its always worth the extra money to rent a car for me. The thought of waiting for a bus makes me want to :hurl: . Hope that Helps.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom