PO: Riverside Blues

Lord Alfred

PO: Riverside Blues (Gripes)

I just got back from WDW and figured some of you might want to hear my evaluation of things as a long-time visitor and fan.

9/14 - Arrival at Port Orleans: Riverside
I've stayed on property all seven times I've been to WDW and have tried someplace different each time. We've stayed at PO:FQ before and loved it. I've heard several people here rave about RS and I knew it was well-themed, so we tried it this time.

A little background...
I've stayed at Fort Wilderness, WL, Polynesian, CBR, PO:FQ, and The Disney Inn. The only one I wasn't thrilled with was CBR. The theming there is merely okay and the place is so spread out you have to walk forever to go anywhere.

Anyway, Riverside's theming is well done and the pools and grounds are well designed and kept. Boatwrights' is an excellent place to catch a relatively inexpensive, tasty full-service breakfast. The lobby and surrounding environs are well designed. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's the extent of my praises.

The whole complex is in very serious need of a rehab. I first noticed that the metal railings at the "ticket booth" check-in counter were in need of repainting. It was chipped off in several places, and the paint had hid the detail of the metal pieces under several thick repaintings.

We were located in the Oak Manor section of Magnolia Bend. These areas are themed to look like plantation mansions of the old south. I don't remember plantation mansions having tons of missing shingles or being in terrible need of repainting, but Oak Manor surely had these things. One of our room doors had a huge discolored circle on it where the paint had been chipped off, exposing two other coats that were both different colors from what it was now.

We had four rooms, and each one had a different lightbulb in the room burnt out. These were obvious and were never replaced during the length of our six night stay. The "twin-globe" light fixtures above each bed in our room both had cobwebs going between the globes, obviously never dusted. The tub had a large black spot in it where the porcelain had chipped off. The bathroom wall had a nice stain by the lightswitch and the light in the bathroom took thirty seconds to get bright. The remote control in one room refused to work even after new batteries.

My other complaint with this resort is the same one I have with CBR. You have to walk a "country mile" exposed to the elements in order to get to the lobby, dining areas, or main pool. This isn't so bad except when it is raining for a good portion of your stay. My wife and I both bought the refillable mugs (which went from $9.99 to $10.99 during our stay, btw) and ended up not using them as much as we would have liked because it was either pouring down rain or we were too tired after a day in the parks to make the long trek to the lobby area and back in the humid heat. We argued with each other over who would have to make the trip each time we did go.

Needless to say we will not be staying at RS again. FQ is much more closely packed and appeared to be in much better condition. Of course, Wilderness Lodge has been our favorite resort so far, but budgeting concerns with members of our party prevented us from using it this time. I hated writing this, but I feel it needs to be shared. I went with a group this time who had not been to WDW in many years (and had never stayed on property) and I was embarrased because I had bragged on WDW facilities before we went. The overriding response from them was "not worth the extra money" and this time I couldn't argue with them.

I hope and pray that Disney stops being so darn cheap with the parks and resorts, and gets back to the core values that made them so great. I'll be posting about my experiences in the parks in a few days.

Thanks for reading.

niteobsrvr

Interestingly enough, Riverside is under rehad and has been for at least the last two years. Its done in phases, I recall exterior painting for sure on the Mansions about a year and a half ago and I beleive they were working on the various alligator bayou buildings for most of the past year.

I can't vouch for lightbulbs and the like but I would suggest to find out who your housekeeper was and write a letter to the manager. I would consider those lightbulbs and cobwebs a sign of and employee who may need some personal attention.

As far as doing the kind of painting work you are speaking of for the lobby and the like, I would imagine its coming, They have Carribean Beach down this fall, French Quarter was last winter. Coronado is too new to worry about yet. If the economy doesnt start booming Riverside could go down in phases for maintenance. It kind of did last year but it is hard to close the lobby area there because it is also the restaurants for French Quarter.

I also would assume from your comments that you should never consider a moderate resort for your stay. All of the moderate resorts require longer walks in the elements (rainy Florida summers) unless you get lucky and get one of the closer rooms (there is still a walk though). You probably wont find French Quarter to your liking any longer because of the modifications and removal of services there last year. The hub of the Port Orleans complex is now Riverside.

I do hope you still enjoyed your stay at Disney with the exception for the afore mentioned items and spent the majority of your time enjoying the World Class Entertainment.

Upvote 0

Lord Alfred

Original Poster
Originally posted by niteobsrvr
I also would assume from your comments that you should never consider a moderate resort for your stay. All of the moderate resorts require longer walks in the elements (rainy Florida summers) unless you get lucky and get one of the closer rooms (there is still a walk though). You probably wont find French Quarter to your liking any longer because of the modifications and removal of services there last year. The hub of the Port Orleans complex is now Riverside.

FQ is still more closely packed than RS. The problem with RS is the river. Instead of walking straight toward your destination, you have to walk along the river until you get to a bridge. Then you cross the bridge and walk back along the river in the opposite direction to get to the lobby building. It's three times longer than what it would take at FQ since everything's on one side of the river. Also, FQ still has it's own food court, drink dispenser, and pool, which is all I care about anyways.

We've visited Coronado Springs, and while it is nice, it also seems like a mile walk to get to the pool, etc. I guess we're just too lazy. :lol: I honestly think that WL will be our WDW "home" from now on. We loved it so much. We visited AKL while we were there, and it seems like a nice place, although a bit out of the way. Our tastes run more toward the western motif than the African one, I guess.

Upvote 0

mousefan17

Re: PO: Riverside Blues (Gripes)

Originally posted by Lord Alfred

The remote control in one room refused to work even after new batteries.

Although i dont agree with you on all things........... but, the remote control, that is funny because when i was there in july, we stayed in the same bulding, and our remote control wouldn't work either. we had 2 rooms, and the other room was fine. I guess I shouldnt say that it wouldnt work, it was very delayed, and a pain! Thats funny though, i wonder if we had the same rooms!

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

Re: Re: PO: Riverside Blues (Gripes)

Originally posted by mousefan17

Although i dont agree with you on all things........... but, the remote control, that is funny because when i was there in july, we stayed in the same bulding, and our remote control wouldn't work either. we had 2 rooms, and the other room was fine. I guess I shouldnt say that it wouldnt work, it was very delayed, and a pain! Thats funny though, i wonder if we had the same rooms!
How strange, we had the exact same problem with our TV remote at PO:RS...

Can't remember which block we were in, but it was the first or second one after the East Depot bus stop. (THird one after the bridge is probably a better description)

Upvote 0

Lord Alfred

Original Poster
Re: Re: Re: PO: Riverside Blues (Gripes)

Originally posted by Catch 22
How strange, we had the exact same problem with our TV remote at PO:RS...

All of the TVs there were Sonys and none of them had the original remote. Each room had an el cheapo Jensen universal style remote with it. Those that did work had a delay. Now, I'm sure that remote theft is the prime reason for this, and obviously their plan has worked because those Jensens looked like they had been there forever. So, to ensure that your remote's don't get stolen, replace them with really crappy ones.

I would have preferred that they bolted the original Sony remotes to the desk or something. At least they would have worked well.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: PO: Riverside Blues (Gripes)

Originally posted by Lord Alfred

I would have preferred that they bolted the original Sony remotes to the desk or something. At least they would have worked well.

Oh No! I hate when hotels do that! My husband likes to fall asleep watching TV; I prefer to read. He'll fall asleep, then I have to get out of bed to turn the TV off. :mad:

This is just another instance of guests who don't follow the rules (the TV remote is for the use of the guest staying in the room, but is not to be removed) spoiling things for others.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

The long walks to refill mugs is a problem in all the moderates and All Stars.

This is why I love Wilderness Lodge so much--even in the rain it is a short indoors walk to Roaring Forks Snack Bar.

Although I would love to try the Polynesian, I look at that map and the real estate between the buildings and the GCH and decide that I prefer the shorter walks (and lower room rates!) of WL.

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

i must be one of the only people who enjoy the long walking distances at the value and moderate resorts...when we use to stay at the values and moderates, i remember coming back from a long day at the parks, and if mom had to make a late night stop at the food court for milk or what-not for the next morning, i would always go with her...i guess because i just didn't want the day to end, so i found any excuse to stay out as long as i possibly could. i was always tired as heck, and my feet were killing me, but i always stayed out as long as i could (but i'm a night owl anyway, so that could've helped)
now, of course, that only covers the long night-time walks...i was never fond of the long morning walks to the food court and bus stop...but then again, i never am...i'm just not a morning person at all.

hope all that made sense

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I was shocked and stunned to hear that a resort that covers a large amount of land actually requires guests to walk. Perhaps as an upgrade they could have a minature monorail, or each room comes with a golf buggy reducing the need to walk. While unreplaced bulbs are a pet hate with me I notice you didnt mention if you told housekeeping.

As for problems with rain I guess that when you stay in De luxe resorts rain is banned from falling there. Perhaps my standards are just lower than yours, but at least youv made me smile.:)

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

POFQ - Looks like you can't beat it.

I consider some of the points raised to be minor, however - the housekeeping issues should be addressed with the management.

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
POFQ - Looks like you can't beat it.

I consider some of the points raised to be minor, however - the housekeeping issues should be addressed with the management.
We had one day where we arrived back at 10:30pm to discover that the room had only been half made up. Beds were still pulled back and no towels, soaps, etc.

We complained and there brought us towels and soaps, but we had to make up our own beds. It kinda ruined that day for us, but it was quickly forgotten.

Perhaps we should have made a bigger fuss and gotten something out of it, but I'm just not that inclined to do so.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I guess I just must be very easy to please as I stayed at the PO Riverside in May and had none of these problems. Then again I enjoyed my morning stroll by the Sassagoula River. That was quite enjoyable for me. I thought our rooms were always made up nicely and didnt seeem to have anything wrong with the paint or porcelain. Then again maybe I just didnt notice! I was so impressed though that I am going back in October. Sorry Lord Alfred and I hope that your choice of resorts works out better in the future! Belle

Upvote 0

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
I've just got back from Riverside myself (and was there in May) - and yes, the mugs went up in price, it rained a little it was rather humid but I guess I must have been having too good a time to notice that there was a little paint missing on a rail in the lobby!

It must be at most a 10 minute walk from the far edge of Riverside to the main buildings and I know that Oak manor isnt on the far edge - hardly a massive trek. As mentioned by 'Belle' I quite enjoyed the walk through the grounds.

Personally I had a great time, Riverside was great, watching Illuminations: ROE during a thunderstorm was excellent and I had a fantastic week.

Oh yes, and I found Cinderella, Belle and Snowwhite at the Magic Kingdom and have a great group photo - Sadly the chip on the bathtub in my room and plug for the sink that had trouble keeping the water in made no difference to my enjoyment.

Upvote 0

Lord Alfred

Original Poster
Originally posted by happy snapper
I was shocked and stunned to hear that a resort that covers a large amount of land actually requires guests to walk. While unreplaced bulbs are a pet hate with me I notice you didnt mention if you told housekeeping.

Housekeeping HAS to turn the lights on to clean the room. I'm certain they don't do it in the dark. And if they did they would HAVE to notice the black globe amongst the lit ones. I shouldn't have to notify anyone.

As far as the walking goes. I don't mind the walking except that the river at this particular resort extends all walks a good deal. FQ does not have this problem. If it hadn't been raining most of the time it probably wouldn't have as bad. Yes, I was aware that the place was spread out before we went, but I always like to try things before passing on them. This aspect of my rant was purely my personal opinion.

All I was trying to say with the other stuff is that these rooms really seem to have had some hard use and are in need of some touch-ups in order to meet the standards set by FQ and even the all-star resorts. I find it hard to believe that Oak Manor at least has been rehabbed anytime recently.

Upvote 0

Lord Alfred

Original Poster
Originally posted by gibsonc
I guess I must have been having too good a time to notice that there was a little paint missing on a rail in the lobby!As mentioned by 'Belle' I quite enjoyed the walk through the grounds.

Sadly the chip on the bathtub in my room and plug for the sink that had trouble keeping the water in made no difference to my enjoyment.

These things did not affect my having a good time either, I just expect better from Disney and was a little disappointed, that's all. Also, as I said, the walk is purely personal preference. If you'd rather stay where it takes twice as long to walk somewhere in pouring rain then that's your perogative.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I still love WDW. I'm not pheneix. I just didn't like RS. Don't get so sarcastic and defensive. Sheesh.

Upvote 0

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
Okay, fair points (the sarcastic and defensive bits must be the jet lag and my own enjoyment coming through)

If you are use to staying in other resorts that you don't have to go outside to get to the main services I can see being out in the rain could be a bit of a pain (living in the UK we are kind of use to the rain! :) )

But could you have not started or finished your post with something positive? come on, you have just spent a week at Disney, your a fan - you said it yourself.

I must have a dozen disney songs going through my head since I got home yesterday....

Hakuna Matata

Upvote 0

Lord Alfred

Original Poster
Originally posted by gibsonc
But could you have not started or finished your post with something positive?

I did start off with positive points!

What I liked about RS!

1. Theming is excellent!

2. Pools are very well kept and very nice, especially the "quiet" pools.

3. Landscaping and gardening was great as usual!

4. Boatwrights is a great place to get a delicious, (relatively) inexpensive breakfast. In all honesty, you can eat at Boatwright's for only a dollar more than at the food court. (if you're eating a full breakfast) Their omelette and stuffed french toast were both excellent!

5. Food court area has Earl Gray tea bags just sitting out where you can stuff your pockets with them.

6. Nice Arcade.

7. Sassagoula Pizza delivery has excellent pizza!

8. Boat service to Downtown Disney was convenient (albeit slow).

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Well I have a theory here. A bad day in Disney beats a good day at work anytime. I was quite pleased with the P.O.Riverside the last time, so much so that I really had no desire to go home!! Usually I do miss my home, but not this time!!!! And by the way Gibson, I LOVE yur avatar. I Am a bit of a princess buff myself, in case you hadnt noticed!! Belle

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Let me start this by saying that I love WDW more than anyone will ever know! I also agree w/ Belle on the fact that a bad day at Disney still beats a good day at, well h***, anywhere!

However, it is very disapointing to me to finally arrive at my on-property resort and see so much that really needs to be done. I know it's little things, but isn't it the details that really count? I mean (please don't get started on me, it's an example) , if I wanted to stay in a hotel with no attention to detail, I could just stay off-property...Lord knows it's cheaper!

I guess that to the powers that be at WDW they're only moderate resorts, so why bother with the upkeep....from my standpoint, I have to save for quite awhile to visit the World, much less stay on property- and in a moderate at that.

I really don't think that Disney keeping up these resorts is too much to ask.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom