Plus sized ride experiences?

DisneySurprisePA

Original Poster
A member of my group is plus sized. 300 lbs 5'5" and carries most of it in the stomach. Any ride issues? Places that would be uncomfortable? Thanks for the info!

hull327

I actually had this conversation with my wife and mother when we were at WDW 2 weeks ago. I don't know how anyone that large can ride half of the rides offered. I'm 6/1" and a narrow 197lbs. and while I don't have to squeeze into the seats on any rides there sure isn't a ton of extra room around my hips and shoulders. I don't know how larger people even get in the seats but I saw plenty of them in the lines.

ExtinctJenn

You say they carry most of their weight in their stomach but that can leave some interpretation that makes it tough to really give you a complete answer. Generally, I would have to agree with some of the above comments... most of the rides that have some sort of restraint are going to be difficult and/or uncomfortable. There are even rides I can think of with no true restraint (other than say a fabric belt) that would be tough if you are of a certain size. For some rides, the person would be absolutely fine as long as they are riding alone. Dumbo, for example, they would probably be fine on but would have to be the only one in their seat. If where they carry their weight makes them wide in the hips vs. sticking out more in the tummy, some things would be more difficult than others. Soarin' for example would be tough if they are quite wide. All of the dark rides (Haunted Mansion, Space Ranger Spin, Mermaid, etc.) however would probably be fine. Ultimately how they carry their weight (where they "stick out") would be the deciding factor however. Hope that helps!

horizons82

I'm a pretty big guy who has been going to the parks for years. I go up and down with my weight and there have been times I've been able to ride everything and other times where I've hesitated due to just wanting to save any embarrassment of not being able to fit on something at the last minute.

While different body shapes and where one carries weight makes a big difference (thankfully I'm 6'4 and large overall rather than carrying it all in one spot), what works for some may or may not work for others.

It would be more helpful if I knew if advice was needed for all of the parks or just one particular park, but here here are attractions where I would advise the most caution:

Space Mountain (MK)
Snow White/Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (MK)
Test Track (Epcot)
Mission: Space (Epcot)
Dinosaur (Animal Kingdom)
Primeval Whirl (Animal Kingdom)
Astro Orbiter (MK)

If I didn't list something it's either because I've never had a problem or I've not been on the attraction.

There's also a website that you might find informative: http://allears.net/tp/ridsiz.htm

If you have a specific ride question, let me know and I'll be happy to try and help :)

And as others have said, WDW parks are much more accommodating than Universal in this regard...Islands of Adventure (while a cool park) is particularly difficult for larger persons.

WhatJaneSays

For reference I’m 5’3” and in the 245-250 range, and carry mostly in the stomach as well but I’m a fairly “squishy” person. I haven’t run into issues with my size on rides but there are some that a tighter squeeze than others. (My biggest issue are my wide hips.)

Rides they may have issues with:

Astro Orbiter – Vehicles are a bit hard to maneuver into, recommend riding alone.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – Single lap bar for each car. Not so much an issue for the larger person, but if their ride partner is small it could be for them.
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – Seats are a little tight for some folks and the single seat lap bar is a bit narrow. (Least friendly large guest ride.)
Space Mountain – Maneuvering into vehicles, leg spacing, and T bar can be uncomfortable.
Barnstormer – Same as BTMR but it’s a much tamer ride geared for kids.
Mission Space – Semi-tight seating and enclosed spaces.
Soarin – Has some awkward restraints.
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster – Tight seats and some tight maneuvering. (If your group member happens to have large chest protrusions like I do – the over the head/chest restrain can be a bit crushing.)
Tower of Terror – Some spots are tighter than others.
Dinosaur - Seats are somewhat narow.

Last edited:

littlered

I am about the same weight and height as your friend (also mostly in the tummy area) I cannot think of any ride at Disney World that is completly un-ridealbe, some maybe a little tight but not bad. The tightest one for me was the Seven Drwarfs Mine Train.

I have not had much trouble with Disney rides, non disney parks is another story.

DisneySurprisePA

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the help. Yes, I am looking for information on all rides or attractions in all four parks. Weight is more stomach instead of hips. More "out front", as someone said.

It has always been the reason the local amusement parks have been avoided.

The information so far is helpful in planning.

disney4life2008

I am 5'7, 350lbs male, short and round and its all in my stomach.

The only ride that gives me pause at all of wdw is space mountain. Request a front seat but it can still be a tight fit depending on bust. But i still fit with my size.

Kali can be rough because of the seat belt and the rush from the cms. But if you can score a double seat your good. Speaking of seat belts, test track can be bad i haven't rode in a few years. But if you can get a front seat (i think) you will have more room.

Universal and Island of adventure, i don't even waste my time. Amazing rides but both parks are make for those that are smaller in size.

ExtinctJenn

Thank you so much for the help. Yes, I am looking for information on all rides or attractions in all four parks. Weight is more stomach instead of hips. More "out front", as someone said.
So really then I'd say generally, anything with a lap bar would potentially be difficult. Unfortunately that counts for a lot of rides in each of the parks. Now that said, it really still depends on just how "out front" this person is. Plus, in a lot of cases, getting in and out of rides that have a lap bar that closes toward you may be easy but riding them may be uncomfortable (i.e. Space Ranger Spin, Peter Pan, etc.). There are also rides that use just a fabric belt or no restraint at all that may still be uncomfortable as the ride vehicle/seat itself is relatively small (i.e. Soarin', Test Track, Dinosaur etc.). The only other type of restraint that would pose an issue is an "over the shoulder" sort I'd suppose. That's going to be Mission Space (Epcot) and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (DHS).

EOD K9

There are some rides that have a separate ride vehicle around the side that can be tried out to see if they would be ok to sit in. I don't know which ones, but you can ask a CM at the ride. Don't quote me, but I believe BTMRR and TT are two that I can think of.

jaklgreen

I would say that comfort is subjective. I am 5'5" and 190lbs. I am more hips then stomach but I find that some of the lap bars hurt my stomach. I just try to make sure that I leave a gap so that it is not pushing down on my stomach. The roller coasters are worse since they jerk you around more.

Disneydreamer23

My dh 6;4 375 pounds but very round fits on every thing at Disney, he was stuffed on mine train but he was able to ride. Now universal is a differentstory he can't do hulk or any Harry potter.

Twin mommy

Google "Disney at Large" it is written by someone that is heavy. It tells you about all of the rides and the type of bars they have. Also people comment about their experiences with each ride. Extremely helpful!!

Steer clear of Universal, not made for larger people.
At Disney I had problems with Mine Train(barely fit) and never tried Astro orbiter or rocking roller coaster. I am 350 and carry my weight in stomach and chest not hips. I did not have trouble with any others.

Walt Disney1955

6'2" 280lbs. here. A big guy. I might blend in with an NFL lineman. Big in the gut, long legs, rather broad shoulders, etc.

Put it this way, WDW is not a bush league theme park. I've gone to places where they build the newer rollercoasters and have the "ride testers" at the front. That usually means I will either be in there very tight or won't get in at all.

You don't have that problem in WDW. Only one ride can I say I was tight in and that was Space Mountain. To be honest, it wasn't my girth as much as my height. My legs and my knees were knocking against the seat in front of me. But I got in and I was alright. Splash is no problem. Thunder Mountain is no issue. Other rides like Peter Pan, Small World, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc. they are all rather spacious as you might know. Even Tower of Terror I was fine.

When I was in Disneyland a couple of years ago the only ride I had a bit of an issue with was the Matterhorn. Again, it was mostly because of my height. My knees were pushed against the seat in front of me. It would have been a bad time for a leg cramp of course. But I was fine, and again, nothing else there was too small for me.

So I think I've got some inches on your friend and believe me he'll be fine.

Disvillain63

I am of a similar build as your friend, except I am a bit busty too. The only ride that I have found a bit tight was Seven Dwarfs, but I was able to ride it. I love Space Mountain and Test Track; never had a problem.

piglet21

hi! i'm 5'3 and wear a woman's 16-18 pant size and the only issue i've had on any rides is a tight squeeze on rock n roller coaster as it's an over the shoulder restraint and i'm rather busty. I've also gone with a friend who is 5'6 and at the time weighed close to 300lbs and wore a woman's size 24 and her only issue was a snug fit on space mountain. Overall, I think your friend should be fine fitting in the rides, with the only issue being slightly uncomfortable on some rides!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom