Pleasure Island vs Disney Springs

mitchk

That would be Roger *** and this well known chap.

ADFT0141_2902.jpg
He is one smart chap at that, and a hell of a nice guy
image.jpeg

MKCP 1985

Pleasure Island at its beginning was really cool. I was able to visit in the first year it was open and there were big crowds, a lot of energy and it was an experience previously unknown at any Disney property. Pleasure Island in its final year was really lame. I was able to visit then, too. Imagine going to a live concert with nobody but the custodian paying any attention to the band. That was my experience on Easter Weekend pretty near the end. That isn't good for anybody.

Now the REAL end of Pleasure Island's Adventurer's Club (and so in the minds of many - this was the end of Pleasure Island) coincided with the inaugural Expedition Everest Challenge in late September of 2007. My family of 4 (all adults or close enough) traveled down and made a point of going to Pleasure Island to check out the Adventurer's Club in its last week. I think we were at Pleasure Island the night before the final night - and lines were queued up 4 rows deep outside the door just to get in with people wanting one final Kungaloosh. That was pretty cool to see. The rest of Pleasure Island was - as usual - pretty dead. I remember the deejay imploring the people walking around that "Pleasure Island is not closing!" Yeah, right. We all know how that turned out.

I haven't been to Disney Springs yet but even if it is nothing but an outdoor mall, that is okay with me because there no longer seems to be a desire for what Pleasure Island was at its beginning.

Raineman

Original Poster
Remove the gates and let what happens happen....

A cynic might say it was the start of a plan.
What was the entrance fee when it was a gated area? Was it high enough to keep out most of the people that were causing the problems after it became an open area?

Retroman40

The demise of PI has always saddened me a great deal. PI of the 90's was a great place. The Adventurer's Club and Comedy Warehouse were top notch decent entertainment. Being a 70's kind of guy I liked the old 8-Trax. Anyone else remember Frankie and the West End Boys? I can't walk by that area without seeing the stage and the clubs. IMO It started down hill when it was promoted locally and the "wrong" locals showed up. As far as Disney Springs, I like the place well enough, but it's a lot like a theme park without attractions. Of course, the admission/parking price point is right hence the crowds. Raglan Road is a really great place and the theater is pretty decent too. I've been meaning to check out Splitsville but haven't made it yet.

Wendy Pleakley

The one time I went to the Adventurer's Club it really impressed me as an "only at Disney" experience. That's why I go to Disney, to experience something I can't experience elsewhere.

Now, there's nothing truly unique about the place. The shopping is just the same merchandise I can buy in the parks. Bowling? I don't travel to WDW to go bowling. Even DisneyQuest offered plenty of things you wouldn't see at a local arcade, but it's going away too.

The last time I went to Downtown Disney it felt like I was there just for something to do after the parks close, it really wasn't a draw.

Retroman40

Just for the record, in May 1991 the price of admission to PI was 12.65. I had to look in a Disney scrapbook to find the old ticket. I believe that if you were an annual passholder admission to PI was included in those days.

Jon81uk

Lots of people mentioning music at the new Disney Springs, with the performers in the street. But what other entertainment is there? No comedy or similar? The boardwalk has jugglers!

mergatroid

Loved PI back in the day. The fact you could walk through the island in the day with the clubs all closed kind of added to it's charm, it was part of Disney just for the 'adults' and that had a special feeling about it. The Adventurer's Club was brilliant and the various dance clubs were pretty good too. Not full of characters like your local home town nightspots, but about as close to that as you'd find in a place full of tourists and a big shift in a good way from the stability of the parks.

Last time I went to PI as it was then was about 14 years ago on the night I got engaged to my wife. Proposed in a Chinese restaurant just outside Disney, took her to see 'La Nouba' and then paid to get us both in PI for the night. Was a great evening and probably a good final memory of being there when it was PI as I think of it.

theRIOT

I never got to have the full-on PI experience.
I went once during my 3-month employment by the mouse. They must have still be charging admission because I remember I went on a Thursday (I think) because it was CM night.
I'm not a dance club guy so I walked around a bit and took in a show at Comedy Warehouse.
I saw the AC and crowd of people by it, but I had no idea what it was. I never went to it.
Knowing what I know now, I really wish I had checked it out. My kind of scene for sure.

brb1006

This may be a weird story, but as a kid I used to always wish I could visit Pleasure Island at WDW after watching Pinocchio. My young self thought it was for kids because of the title. Looking back I feel weird knowing this was actually geared towards adults and Pleasure Island in WDW and Pinocchio were completely different.

Also my parents still have a photo of them at Pleasure Island in 1994 which was there first visit to WDW. It's still in there photo album complete with the map.

Disneyhead'71

The one time I went to the Adventurer's Club it really impressed me as an "only at Disney" experience. That's why I go to Disney, to experience something I can't experience elsewhere.

Now, there's nothing truly unique about the place. The shopping is just the same merchandise I can buy in the parks. Bowling? I don't travel to WDW to go bowling. Even DisneyQuest offered plenty of things you wouldn't see at a local arcade, but it's going away too.

The last time I went to Downtown Disney it felt like I was there just for something to do after the parks close, it really wasn't a draw.
I got the "only at Disney feel too." Only not in a good way.

Ok, Disney Fan confession. I didn't really care for The Adventures Club or Pleasure Island. I was a huge fan of Church Street Station. PI felt like drink night at the local Baptist Church.

FWIW: That's coming from someone having hot Sake for lunch. AND I like big steel fling me machines. I'm a bad Disney Fan.

Last edited:

actaeonus

Pleasure Island- went through the other venues but nothing matched the experience of Adventurers Club. Went almost nightly when staying on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom