Pleasure Island Clubs To Close?

GrimGrinninAnna

Excuse us for using the local entertainment available to us. It's not the fact that locals also enjoy going dancing there or visiting fellow adventurers, it's the teenagers and parents with tired and cranky children that take over what is supposed to be a party area and turn it into a fun-free nightmare.

I understand this situation... Sometimes having loud parents with the loud kids and those God forsaken strollers running around everywhere is super annoying. Especially at 11pm and on- I mean, don't those kids need to go to bed? But, you can't deny Downtown is a hotbed of trouble. I remember these two incidents this year alone.

Pipe Bomb-Like Device Explodes at Disney
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,,-6752534,00.html

Victims of Downtown Disney kidnapping decide not to prosecute.
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-31275468_ITM

Not to mention the amount of totally disrespectful, rowdy underaged (and obviously drinking) kids running around at all hours. And by disrespectful, I don't just mean to families with little ones, I mean to us all. Something should be done about it.

WDWKat26

Yeah, nothing worse than Mommy pushing her Hummer sized stroller through the AC (Which isn't really made for gigantic strollers) with the baby sleeping while she sips a Jack and Coke. I remember when I was a kid, I would see on the Resort TV the ad's for Pleasure Island, and them saying it was a place where the adults could go to get away at night. But another poster on here made a good point. With EMH for resort guests, and the parks being open later now, people aren't going to go out. It upsets me to think that PI might become more "family friendly" because it's the one place where I can go to drink and unwind WITHOUT children. I deal with children ALL DAY, and when I see them crying and whining in the club, it kinda ruins my night.

I've seen PI go downhill since I first moved down here, and it really upsets me to see it barely exist now.

Thelazer

Here's a brief rundown about this. Just remember, the OP quoted Screamscape (no offense, OP), so don't take the deadline too seriously...yet.

In 2005, the PI management was told that PI has not been profitable for years, and the area would slowly become more family-friendly. Eventually all the dance clubs would be phased out, with only AC and CC remaining. Disney finally conceded that they cannot compete with the new Church Street Station atmosphere without losing its family-friendly status. Although the announcements were made, rumors soon circulated that the changes would not be as dramatic as Disney originally implied.

In 2006, various parts of PI were refurbed and opened to allow better Guest traffic through the area. Guests were essentially forced to go through the area, both to unify the West Side and Marketplace, and to (hopefully) bring more traffic to PI. The first part of the plan worked. The second didn't.

Now, in late 2007, PI managers have been reminded of the coming changes, and the changes appear to be dramatic again...for now. No timeframe has been finalized.

This matches almost 100% what I've heard.
Expect, substitute the words "Church Street Station" with "Citywalk" and "Downtown Disney- California"

hrcollectibles

Pleasure Island is a mere shell of its former self.
So much so that it is barely a memory.

They might as well just go ahead and change the name of it to
Pleasure Walkway, because that is all it is now.

Very sad indeed as I strolled - literally ALONE - around there last week.

They should just throw in the world's biggest Chuckie Cheese where Mannequins is and get it over with already.

:mad:

For some reason I fnd this term funny :ROFLOL:

hrcollectibles

I saw take out a club and add a Kareokee Place :sohappy: I love me some Kareokee and do not know anyplace to go while visitng the world... They could have family friendly songs and even Disney Tunes you could sing with

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
... but wait I don't know if I want drunk adults trying to throw a ball down a lane:lookaroun lol.. imagine all the holes in the walls lol...it can be the theme... a old broken bowling alley lol :hammer:

Have you ever been to a bowling alley? That's pretty much the complete description. ;)

If they stick in a bowling alley, it'd make the most sense to me to put an age limint in place after a certain time, say around 8 PM. From what I've seen of bowling alleys, the places are usually calm during the day, it's later at night when things get rowdy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dr-TqbVW2s

ImaYoyo

In 2005 there was no such spiel given to P.I. Management. How do I know? I WAS at P.I. And nothing was EVER mentioned about AC and CC being the last remaining clubs. That tells me that whoever told you this knows nothing about P.I., as Comedy Warehouse is the least profitable club at P.I. Anyone who has ever managed any of the clubs full well knows this.

As far as P.I. managers being informed again of this in 2007? Really? Tell me who was informed. Kelly certainly knows nothing of dance clubs going away, and he should know a thing or two...

I am in no way trying to discredit yourself, but who in the world is your source?!? I can certainly accept that changes are still coming to P.I., however, to say 1.) that it is no longer profitable is rediculous! 8-trax is a HUGE money maker. 2.) that Comedy Warehouse is sticking around past any other club is twice as rediculous. That club makes crap! and 3.) saying that opening during the day didn't bring aditional revenue to P.I. is not working is just not right as well. Laughers/Jungle Juice make great money during the early afternoon, certainly MORE than enough to justify having one or the other open as early in the afternoon as possible.
Here's a brief rundown about this. Just remember, the OP quoted Screamscape (no offense, OP), so don't take the deadline too seriously...yet.

In 2005, the PI management was told that PI has not been profitable for years, and the area would slowly become more family-friendly. Eventually all the dance clubs would be phased out, with only AC and CC remaining. Disney finally conceded that they cannot compete with the new Church Street Station atmosphere without losing its family-friendly status. Although the announcements were made, rumors soon circulated that the changes would not be as dramatic as Disney originally implied.

In 2006, various parts of PI were refurbed and opened to allow better Guest traffic through the area. Guests were essentially forced to go through the area, both to unify the West Side and Marketplace, and to (hopefully) bring more traffic to PI. The first part of the plan worked. The second didn't.

Now, in late 2007, PI managers have been reminded of the coming changes, and the changes appear to be dramatic again...for now. No timeframe has been finalized.

ASilmser

Good call!

PI was developed solely to keep people on Disney property at night time. These days, the parks stay open to midnight or later at times...once upon a time there were no EMH hours...THe resorts also have their own bars now. PI is no longer necessary to keep people on property with all the resorts and activities at night...it's a concept that has served its purpose and redevelopment is not at all surprising. Whereas the clubs might not be drawing them in much, the retail down there sure is, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more large retail stores expand into PI if permitted to do so. I know if I owned a store in Orlando, I would want a landmark store down in DD.

I think you are exactly correct. With the addition of the West Side--Specifically Bongos, House of Blues, and Cirque--the later hours of all of the parks, and the Boardwalk, the whole PI concept became less and less necessary. There is plenty of stuff to do late at night now. I would not be surprised if they just let downtown Disney swallow PI by keeping a few of the popular clubs open, re-theming, adding some more retail shops/restaurants, and dropping the name altogether. It has the potential of making the whole DD area concept more diverse and cohesive at the same time.

joshwill

Pleasure Island is a mere shell of its former self.
So much so that it is barely a memory.

They might as well just go ahead and change the name of it to
Pleasure Walkway, because that is all it is now.

Very sad indeed as I strolled - literally ALONE - around there last week.

They should just throw in the world's biggest Chuckie Cheese where Mannequins is and get it over with already.

:mad:

i think a dave and busters would be better :)

bfbulldog

Original Poster
I think that Disney's going to change the Island over to a proven concept they know works, more shopping. I believe that in short order we will start seeing all of the clubs eventually being replaced with more shopping and restaurants all of which will be run by outside operators, not Disney. This change removes all of the headaches of running nightclubs which is not really Disney's gig. Just my opinion.

joshwill

I think that Disney's going to change the Island over to a proven concept they know works, more shopping. I believe that in short order we will start seeing all of the clubs eventually being replaced with more shopping and restaurants all of which will be run by outside operators, not Disney. This change removes all of the headaches of running nightclubs which is not really Disney's gig. Just my opinion.

were the to get rid of the a/c, that would pretty much remove any reason to go to PI, or even to DTD.

shopping is way low on my list of things to do while on vacation, i can shop at home.

bugsbunny

Maybe its another veiled attempt at putting in another "Disney's best kept secret"! :ROFLOL:

It seems there is about a 50/50 chance with any Disney behind the scenes work that its going to eventually be another DVC. Those things are just everywhere now and what better way to get a ROI by building another "secret" on a dying piece of waterfront property.

Thelazer

I don’t know. There must be some different meetings going on here.

KHarris knew what was going on. He was the one who drove the removal of the West End Stage. As well as killing the fireworks shows and quite a lot of moral from the entertainment side of things. It was often said that he had a fondness for the actors in Ad Club and CW. Did he know those clubs were going to stick around for a while?

DRivers had a lot to do with attempting to save the damage that was already in progress. However, by the time he got there it was too late for that.
Now he's out (didn't last long... hmm, did he see some hand writing on the wall?)

So, I'm not sure whom you got your info from. But, I'd guess that whomever told you there were no such meetings was flat out lying to you. It would not be the first time management has been caught lying. We all know that CW makes no money due to the amount they have to pay the cast members. However, it's such a big winner in the "guest satisfaction" dept as well as Ad Club that frankly money isn't an issue with those clubs it seems. Somewhat scary is the thought of the AC and CW fanatics that would be up in arms if those two clubs ever closed! Hell, I think some of them would come in, rip the colonel off the wall and march him down main street in protest if it were to happen! Now, I will not say they will NEVER close. But, I think they will be the very last to go.. or at the very least will be turned into a "new" concept that includes food being served.

There has been a TON of money spent over the last two years in those clubs in upkeep. More so than in other clubs.
So make of that what you will. I'm just saying that there is a 2nd person here who can back up some of that "Spiel" talk.

In 2005 there was no such spiel given to P.I. Management. How do I know? I WAS at P.I. And nothing was EVER mentioned about AC and CC being the last remaining clubs. That tells me that whoever told you this knows nothing about P.I., as Comedy Warehouse is the least profitable club at P.I. Anyone who has ever managed any of the clubs full well knows this.

As far as P.I. managers being informed again of this in 2007? Really? Tell me who was informed. Kelly certainly knows nothing of dance clubs going away, and he should know a thing or two...

I am in no way trying to discredit yourself, but who in the world is your source?!? I can certainly accept that changes are still coming to P.I., however, to say 1.) that it is no longer profitable is rediculous! 8-trax is a HUGE money maker. 2.) that Comedy Warehouse is sticking around past any other club is twice as rediculous. That club makes crap! and 3.) saying that opening during the day didn't bring aditional revenue to P.I. is not working is just not right as well. Laughers/Jungle Juice make great money during the early afternoon, certainly MORE than enough to justify having one or the other open as early in the afternoon as possible.

tigger_sky

I still like PI but I use to love PI. The downfall of PI started when they let kids in and made it a walkway. I loved all the clubs and the club hoping and dancing in the street and new years every night. I still love Mannequins, Adventurers Club, and Comedy Club. 8trx was cool in the old days when they had a real disco floor and video games up stairs. Old PI RIP.

PhotoDave219

Yeah, nothing worse than Mommy pushing her Hummer sized stroller through the AC (Which isn't really made for gigantic strollers) with the baby sleeping while she sips a Jack and Coke. I remember when I was a kid, I would see on the Resort TV the ad's for Pleasure Island, and them saying it was a place where the adults could go to get away at night. But another poster on here made a good point. With EMH for resort guests, and the parks being open later now, people aren't going to go out. It upsets me to think that PI might become more "family friendly" because it's the one place where I can go to drink and unwind WITHOUT children. I deal with children ALL DAY, and when I see them crying and whining in the club, it kinda ruins my night.

I've seen PI go downhill since I first moved down here, and it really upsets me to see it barely exist now.

I really gotta echo Kat's sentiments here. AC and PI are bars; they're not places for children. They simply don't belong. I've even heard stories of people taking newborns to Adv Club....

brkgnews

Ditto. Even though I don't completely mind if there are a few very-well behaved kids there, the AC is a place where I enjoy going to do the adult thing without completely diving into "a bar."

ImaYoyo

You may have missed the part where I said I came from clubs... DW was also a Club Manager for almost 3 years and recently left.

And furthermore, CW's lack of revenue has nothing to do with Cast Member pay, it has to do with the fact that they barely sell any drinks... another very suspicious comment that someone would think it has to do with CM Pay. If you have 2 clubs... 1 is cheap to run and brings in 50k a night, and 1 is expensive to run and brings in 2k a night, which do you keep and which do you close?
I don’t know. There must be some different meetings going on here.

KHarris knew what was going on. He was the one who drove the removal of the West End Stage. As well as killing the fireworks shows and quite a lot of moral from the entertainment side of things. It was often said that he had a fondness for the actors in Ad Club and CW. Did he know those clubs were going to stick around for a while?

DRivers had a lot to do with attempting to save the damage that was already in progress. However, by the time he got there it was too late for that.
Now he's out (didn't last long... hmm, did he see some hand writing on the wall?)

So, I'm not sure whom you got your info from. But, I'd guess that whomever told you there were no such meetings was flat out lying to you. It would not be the first time management has been caught lying. We all know that CW makes no money due to the amount they have to pay the cast members. However, it's such a big winner in the "guest satisfaction" dept as well as Ad Club that frankly money isn't an issue with those clubs it seems. Somewhat scary is the thought of the AC and CW fanatics that would be up in arms if those two clubs ever closed! Hell, I think some of them would come in, rip the colonel off the wall and march him down main street in protest if it were to happen! Now, I will not say they will NEVER close. But, I think they will be the very last to go.. or at the very least will be turned into a "new" concept that includes food being served.

There has been a TON of money spent over the last two years in those clubs in upkeep. More so than in other clubs.
So make of that what you will. I'm just saying that there is a 2nd person here who can back up some of that "Spiel" talk.

CaptainMichael

Kat said:

The Hummer sized strollers annoy me everywhere, especially when they complain about how the boats are too small for them....

Also, I'd rather kids not be allowed at the AC because it makes me feel uncomfortable personally. They're usually well behaved (probably because they're scared), but I don't like feeling uncomfortable at the one place here that I feel most comfortable. I also don't like how they usually take away from the library shows...

Anyways, "give me a Kungaloosh or give me death."

liquid toez

More Recent Improvements

Recently, Sammy Duval's store "CURL" opened. It adds a little more life to the PI thoroughfare with a brightly lit storefront and illuminated posters along the side wall. I wish the other vacancies were filled to add even more life.

I like the bigger flat screen monitors they assembled in various locations along the PI thoroughfare. It's not as good as the 2 huge screens that they use to have but its better than nothing. It seems like they added more loudspeakers too, but I can't confirm that.

In comparison to City Walk, PI appears kind of dead sometimes, mainly because there is bigger flow of people passing through or by the City Walk complex. Also, City Walk usually has a good band playing on the outdoor stage on Friday and Saturday nights which attracts a lot of passer byers - and it's free entertainment.

But yeah, I still miss the old PI.

tirian

The 2005 meeting definitely occurred, and Church Street Station--not Citywalk or anything else--was the reason back then. The "Dinosaur-based" restaurant was mentioned at this time, and early reports placed it in PI, not closer to the Marketplace. No one ever said that the Comedy Club made money, just that it and the Adventurer's Club were probably not going to go away. Some people were very upset because Disney had recently spent a lot of money opening Motion. These plans are nearly three years old, so they've obviously changed by now.

Notice that I have not given a timeframe. That's because I don't have one. The idea of shuttering most of PI's clubs has been floating around for a while, but Disney is not going to gut it tomorrow. The 2005 meeting was more of a discussion, not a schedule of events. Parts of PI do still make money, but the overall concept is not profitable. Disney simply cannot compete with modern club culture.

The meeting involved upper management, and they are my sources.

I stand by my post, but not by anyone else's. Please make sure you re-read my original one, since I did not talk about half the things you mentioned. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom