Please talk me into it!! (or out of it....lol)

happymom52003

So....I am the type of person who has to be 100% sure about things. I have a very tough time making decisions, especially when money is involved!

I have a crazy idea, and my DH is not being very helpful....lol. And I can't talk to friends of family members, because if we do this it needs to be TOP SECRET and I can't trust everyone not to spill the beans!

So I need you all to either tell me my idea is great and I should do it, or tell me that I am crazy and to forget about it!

Let me start by saying that I HATE to be at WDW when it is crowded. And almost just as much, I hate being there in the heat of summer. I've always sworn I would never plan our trip for summer....ever.

But....recently, my DS has become obsessed with Star Wars. He lives, eats, and breathes Star Wars.

We are planning a family reunion vacation for June, and while are plans are not finalized, there is a high chance that it will be at Sanibel Island, Fl.

Now being the Disney fanatic that I am, my first thought is how in the world can I go all the way to Florida (we live far, far away!!) and NOT go to Disney World?? But I remembered how much I hate the heat and the crowds, so I put that our of my mind. Also, we really can't afford a big trip to Disney this year, especially on top of our beach trip. We are hoping to make it back to Disney for our annual week long trip in early 2010.

But...then I rememberd Star Wars weekends...and what a THRILL it would be for my son (and my DH, for that matter) to be able to expereince it.

So I was thinking....we would already being flying roundtrip to Florida to go to Sanibel, so we are paying for airfare reagardless of whether we go to WDW or not. Then I was thinking about accomodations....we usually stay at the WL or the Poly. But seeing how this trip would be very short (probably only 2, maybe three nights) and our main focus would be going to DHS rather than MK and EPCOT, it really would not matter if we were at a monorail resort....we could stay at a much less expensive resort.

As far as tickets, we could go ahead and buy 10 day park hoppers and add the no expiration, and use the rest for our 2010 trip.

So....it really will not cost us a whole lot extra to add on a quick trip to WDW.

But....seeing how we hate crowds and heat, do you think I would be miserable? Or would the fact that my son actually gets to go to a Star Wars weekend make up for that? And knowing that this was not our "main" WDW trip, maybe I would be more willing to put up with the heat and crowds??:shrug:

Here is what we would do....fly into Ft. Myers and spend about 5 or 6 days in Sanibel. Then, on our last day we would drive the several hours to Orlando. If the kids wonder why, we would just tell them that our flight home had to be out of Orlando instead of Ft. Myers (they are still young enough that they would buy that story!). Then instead of going to the airport, we'd go to WDW.....but not tell them. They'd know when we are driving under the welcome sign!

We'd stay 2 or 3 nights, maybe in one of the pirate themed rooms at CBR, then fly home from Orlando.

So....should I do it??

disneytony

You have to go.

I too hate the heat and the crowds. That being said, if it's a decision of going or not going, it's a no brainer. YOU HAVE TO GO. He'll love SW weekend. Just follow the basics of getting there early, leaving mid-day for a pool break and then going back at night when it's a little cooler and you should be fine.

The pirate room idea sounds nice too, and since this is just for a few nights you probably don't need to stay in one of the Deluxe Resorts. Good Luck and have fun!

Upvote 0

davidpw97

Sounds like a great idea. If it were me though, I might consider doing Star Wars weekends first and then spending the rest of the week at the beach. Knowing how hot and chaotic it's going to be, i'd rather get that part of the trip out of the way and it will be easier to handle the crowds if you know that soon you'll be away from the crowds and relaxing on the beach. Personally, a few days out in the sun at the beach really wipes me out and I don't know if i'd have the energy after a long week to then spend 2 days fighting the crowds at Disney.

Upvote 0

gccgrad1996

Do it!! I am a teacher so the only time I can go to Disney is the summer. I am not paying extra to deal with huge crowds over Christmas break and I don't get a spring break. I am jealous of all of you that can take advantage of the great late summer and fall weather.
My family and I have been going summers for the last 5 years and we just wear light clothing and always take a break in the afternoon for the pool. We carry water bottles with us and make sure to have a carriage along for our DD. Yes it can be crowed. We found August to be less crowded since many school in the South are going back to school. But we have been there over Fourth of July twice. This is our first trip in June (26th -July 3)since our honeymoon in 96. It was Star Wars weekends then but that was 11 years ago and we weren't worried about that on that trip.
If you plan your trip right, go early, wear light clothing, take water bottles and a carriage for young children and use fast pass whenever you can it will be fine. It is Disney just be happy you are there, so many people I hear can't go this year due to the economy, we are the lucky ones. Good Luck!

Upvote 0

sueuk

So....I am the type of person who has to be 100% sure about things. I have a very tough time making decisions, especially when money is involved!

I have a crazy idea, and my DH is not being very helpful....lol. And I can't talk to friends of family members, because if we do this it needs to be TOP SECRET and I can't trust everyone not to spill the beans!

So I need you all to either tell me my idea is great and I should do it, or tell me that I am crazy and to forget about it!

Let me start by saying that I HATE to be at WDW when it is crowded. And almost just as much, I hate being there in the heat of summer. I've always sworn I would never plan our trip for summer....ever.

But....recently, my DS has become obsessed with Star Wars. He lives, eats, and breathes Star Wars.

We are planning a family reunion vacation for June, and while are plans are not finalized, there is a high chance that it will be at Sanibel Island, Fl.

Now being the Disney fanatic that I am, my first thought is how in the world can I go all the way to Florida (we live far, far away!!) and NOT go to Disney World?? But I remembered how much I hate the heat and the crowds, so I put that our of my mind. Also, we really can't afford a big trip to Disney this year, especially on top of our beach trip. We are hoping to make it back to Disney for our annual week long trip in early 2010.

But...then I rememberd Star Wars weekends...and what a THRILL it would be for my son (and my DH, for that matter) to be able to expereince it.

So I was thinking....we would already being flying roundtrip to Florida to go to Sanibel, so we are paying for airfare reagardless of whether we go to WDW or not. Then I was thinking about accomodations....we usually stay at the WL or the Poly. But seeing how this trip would be very short (probably only 2, maybe three nights) and our main focus would be going to DHS rather than MK and EPCOT, it really would not matter if we were at a monorail resort....we could stay at a much less expensive resort.

As far as tickets, we could go ahead and buy 10 day park hoppers and add the no expiration, and use the rest for our 2010 trip.

So....it really will not cost us a whole lot extra to add on a quick trip to WDW.

But....seeing how we hate crowds and heat, do you think I would be miserable? Or would the fact that my son actually gets to go to a Star Wars weekend make up for that? And knowing that this was not our "main" WDW trip, maybe I would be more willing to put up with the heat and crowds??:shrug:

Here is what we would do....fly into Ft. Myers and spend about 5 or 6 days in Sanibel. Then, on our last day we would drive the several hours to Orlando. If the kids wonder why, we would just tell them that our flight home had to be out of Orlando instead of Ft. Myers (they are still young enough that they would buy that story!). Then instead of going to the airport, we'd go to WDW.....but not tell them. They'd know when we are driving under the welcome sign!

We'd stay 2 or 3 nights, maybe in one of the pirate themed rooms at CBR, then fly home from Orlando.

So....should I do it??
Of course you should and anyway with that maths - you'd be out of pocket by NOT going! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

coltow

We had looked to go then too. DS is 5 and is completley obsessed with Star Wars. We decided against it. Our concern was that he is 5 and the crowd will be insane. Granted he wouldn't care about meeting the "real" people, but the characters. I couldn't imagine standing in line for hours for a picture of him with someone. I know he'd LOVE it, but we decided that he might be just too young to understand the wait. I'm sure he'd love the parade and I know with today's technology it will be in youtube very quickly. He's also have to miss a few days of school which normally I wouldn't care about, but it would be his last week of pre-school.

Upvote 0

scarpiapiano

Top 10 reasons to go for it...
10...Test Track
9.....Tower of Terror
8.....Soarin
7.....Pirates of the carribean
6.....Expedition Everest
5.....Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
4.....Rock N Rollercoaster
3.....Spaceship Earth
2.....Illuminations
1.....Its Disney World.......

11....Stiches Great Escape!!

Oh... I guess that's a reason you shouldn't go.:lol:

Upvote 0

happymom52003

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the encouragement and tips!:sohappy:

We are still not sure if we are going to do it, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can make it work out.

Upvote 0

marcriss

Do It! We went in 2005 when my son was 3 and Star Wars obsessed. He LOVED it! The only really long line was for Darth Vader and once you got inside there was A/C and it was sooo worth it. The pictures are priceless. My son had a blast running where the characters were, he chased Boba Fett trying to get an autograph but we kept missing him. We pretty much stayed on the Dark Side, I'm not sure if the Jedi area was more crowded.

All in all the heat wasn't too bad, definitely take a pool/nap break midday. If you can do it you won't regret it. The key is managing your expectations, like you said it's only a couple of days!

Upvote 0

happymom52003

Original Poster
Just booked us for three nights in June....and the best part is my DH decided he wanted to stay at the Wilderness Lodge instead of a value or moderate resort!:sohappy:

Now if only I can keep my mouth shut about Star Wars weekends! As I am typing this, my son is running around the house chasing his little sister, calling her his "little Padwan", and they both have light sabers in their hands!:lol: They are going to totally freak out when they find out we are going!

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

Just booked us for three nights in June....and the best part is my DH decided he wanted to stay at the Wilderness Lodge instead of a value or moderate resort!:sohappy:

Now if only I can keep my mouth shut about Star Wars weekends! As I am typing this, my son is running around the house chasing his little sister, calling her his "little Padwan", and they both have light sabers in their hands!:lol: They are going to totally freak out when they find out we are going!

:sohappy:

Awesome. You guys will have a blast!

Upvote 0

Boray

Have a wonderful time! This trip will probably be one of the most memorable Disney trips ever because of how it came to be and hopefully, the surprise that it will be! Post lots of pictures when you get back - I'm sure there will be plenty.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
We went last June around the time of SWW but we went to the parks on Thurs and Fri, so we didn't get those crowds. I swore I would never go to WDW in the summer but we went to see the Cubs play the Rays in St Pete and I couldn't resist driving an hour to go to WDW. I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be...It was hot but I was used to it since I live in southern Mississippi. The crowds weren't THAT bad. I was more miserable when we went in late September than in June...:shrug: Have fun!

Upvote 0

Auroragirl

How exciting!!! Those kids are going to have a GREAT time!!!

Upvote 0
So glad you went ahead and booked it! And staying at the WL just adds to the fun. We are going to be there the first weekend of SWW and my DS 14 is also obsessed. I made us lunch reservations at Sci Fi for that day so we already know there will be a nice, air conditioned place to sit down and eat and rest for a little while. This is a good idea to reenergize the kids unless a nap is more in order. And we have the mindset that we'll be happy to see a few characters, watch the SW parade, and buy special merchandise--not necessarily do every ride in the park and see every character. This will be our third time at the event and just being patient and not having your expectations too high really helps. Have a great time.

Upvote 0

wdwfan100

Another "yes, do it" vote here. It sounds like it will be more than worth dealing with the heat and the crowds. I can't imagine being in Florida and not going to WDW. I hope you have a blast.

Upvote 0

toystory 3

I went last year during that time and it was amazing! Being a Star Wars fan myself you can even look up the line-up of who will be there for you all to meet and get signatures from. Hollywood Studios does an amazing job with all the Star Wars decor. You guys are going to have so much fun. I can't wait to see the pictures from this years event.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom