PLEASE stop the bumping of ancient threads

jdvm

I've seen some posts that just say "bump." This is done just to move it to the top? Don't blame you for being aggravated if that's the case.

mitchk

I also agree with stopping all this recent old thread bumping. I think I'm looking at some new rumor, and it turns out to be some 4 yo post. Unless something has recently occurred to make an old post relevant, please do not bump them for the rest of us to read. Enjoy it for yourself, and leave it alone.. Thanks:wave:

goofyfan13

icorsix said:
Is it possible for the administrator to block off old threads so that they can be read and not posted to?

Yes, the threads get "locked"

Ones that get too out of hand and offensive are deleted entirely.

Iakona

wdwishes2005 said:
Whoops. I should know better to post and not search. Thanks Iakona.

WDWWISHES2005,
No worries. Didn't post the link to chastise you. I just thought it would provide people the rationale as to why these threads should not be bumped. I found it by accident myself.

To those that think using the search button justifies bumping for no reason please read Steve's post: he and most members here have no problem with threads being resurrected with new pertinent information. However, that is not what is happening these are being bumped for no reason other than to add, oh wait, NOTHING to the thread.

prberk

CaliSurfer182 said:
I believe the statement should read, "please stop bumping old threads unless new important information for said thread is provided". I only say this because then the new complaint would be that every newbie was creating the same thread. Things need to be done in moderation not absolution.

I completely, totally agree.

Usually, news is worthy of a "new" thread; but one of the things that I love about this format is the ability to follow a "thread" of thought through historical perspective. We learn from the past, and often the current comment is put into perspective by the commentary that came before.

So, WHEN IT ACTUALLY CONTINUES THE THREAD of discussion, I do not mind at all the posting on an old discussion. I think it is nice. In fact, I think that too many people today waste time by not considering whether the past has anything to offer before they say anything.

But IF IT DOES NOT RELATE OR CONTINUE THE THREAD, then start a new one.

That is what I think.

Paul

PintoColvig

Sulley said:
How many times do you guys come down on people for not using the search function? So now that people are using it to find topics they want to chime in on, you're going to come down on them too?

Another case of "danged if you do and danged if you don't". What we need around here is a little less "insider" attitude from the Vets and a little more patience with the newbies. I myself have been tempted to add my 2 cents worth to an old thread because I thought it would add to what had already been posted but fear of the tongue lashing kept me at bay. Yes, unnecessarily reviving an old thread should not happen but when it does, let's not climb such a high stump and be so quick to thump those who are new and learning. Everyone was new at some point. Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom