Please sell me on the WL resort!!

tigsmom

The WL is my home away from home! We love it there. We've stayed so many times I've lost count.

The atmosphere is very relaxing... Pacific Northwest(ish), but it reminds me of the Great Camps in upstate NY where we vacation.
The architecture is awe inspiring, the CMs will bend over backwards to help you out. The restaurants offer delicious and varied menus. The grounds are beautifully landscaped. You can take a boat to the Contemporary and visit or hit the monorail, there is a boat to the MK and one to Fort Wilderness. People complain about the bus transportation, but we have never had a problem.

There are many threads discussing this resort and a quick search will bring them up. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help. :wave:

PS. we have sent many friends and our family to the WL, everyone has become hooked. :lol:

Upvote 0

maelstrom

The WL is not horrible. But it's not my favourite resort, either. The food court is inadequate for the size of the resort (and it smelled like ketchup and feet), the rooms are on the small side (after staying at the Contemporary tower, the rooms at the WL feel like closets). But I'm a harsh critic. All Disney resorts are nice, I just complain too much.

Mad (tigsmom) is a WL junkie. If anyone can make you love the WL, it's her.

Upvote 0

sconti

The best thing I can say about the WL is that it sells itself. Just take a walk through the lobby, around the grounds, or down by the boat dock and you'll understand.

Upvote 0

RebeccaQ

We just got back from the WL a couple of weeks ago. It was my husband and I and our 6 and almost 2 year olds. We really enjoyed it. Our last long stay had been at the Contemporary. We definitely enjoyed the atmosphere at WL over the Contemp. We did miss the walking path from Contemp to MK, though!

We did have a good time wandering the grounds and renting a surrey bike (we saw several deer on the trail) and rode it over to the little petting area with the kids.

The Whispering Canyon restaurant is fun - we had Ricky as a waiter twice (he was hilarious) and he and our son became fast friends and had a great time cutting up together. (if you request him tell him you were sent by the lady that can't stop laughing with the Stitch expert for a son).

The food court is rather small, but I would guess that is because they have two other restaurants available. We never found it crowded - that could also be because we tend to "beat the crowds".

The boat rides to the MK and Contemporary were nice. We definitely enjoyed coming back at night a couple of times during a full moon and the moon on the water was just beautiful. The lodge at night was a very welcoming sight coming in on the boat.

The rooms at the contemporary are larger. But then again, the rates are cheaper at WL, so I guess that is a bit of a wash. With nice weather we kept our balcony open and that gave us a roomier feel.

Overall, we felt the resort had a very laid back and cozy feeling which we enjoyed. My son and I worked on the hidden mickey hunt and just sat in front of the fireplace some. My daughter LOVED the bridge over the little spring in the lobby and every time we came out of the elevator we HAD to cross that bridge, no matter which direction we were headed.

I hope I have given a view of what is is like and why we liked it so that you can judge by your own preferences.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
WL, AKL and Poly are the three places that really "take you away" to a different environment. I like all, but some of the special points of WL are the amazing ambiance of the lodge with a spring that bursts forth from within, cascades outside through a rocky, wildflower and conifer covered hill to a swimming area with hot tub. There is a geiser field with a major eruption "faithfully" on the hour. You really appreciate the geiser if you have seen the real thing (it's not just an on and off event)

The grounds have the sounds of wildlife and deep woods, the restaurants are superior and the extra events available add so much.

I won't argue that it is the only or best resort, but it is a great experience that everyone should try.

Upvote 0

njblackberry

On almost every trip to WDW we make it a point to go back and revisit the WL. We've stayed in both the hotel and the villas, and we love just going there, sitting in the fantastic lobby, and absorbing one of the nicest resorts around.

It has a great pool (and a geyser), and gets an "A" from us.

Upvote 0

lamarvenoy

If you really love the Contemporary, you might not like the WL.That's where I stand. They are basically opposites. The WL to me was too "woodsy" and withdrawn. I prefer the cold concrete retro modern Contemporary.

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

MickeyMark said:
Just want to know we'll like it there !!!

We've stayed at AKL, BCV and Contemporary.

Thanks!!!!!

Did ya Like AKL in comparison to the Contemporary? AKL and WL have roughly the same size rooms. They are both at the "low end" of the deluxe resort list because of their smaller rooms and lack of direct park access (no monorail or walk up enterance). So if you had any concerns with your stay at AKL, you'll likely have similar concerns with WL.

But WL is impecably themed like the great lodges of the national parks in the western United States. Many of our friends consider this to be WDW's best job in resort theming. In scale, the resort is very similar to AKL. While it lacks the animals, WL does wonderful of fitting in with its created natural setting. It really feels like you're in the Pacific Northwest right in the middle of Florida. The pool is themed to be part of a mountain stream that runs from a spring inside the hotel lobby, over rocks, past the gyser, and into Bay Lake.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

MickeyMark said:
Just want to know we'll like it there !!!

We've stayed at AKL, BCV and Contemporary.

Thanks!!!!!

Jeez, there are so many threads about the WL, with most people singing it's praises, that if you're not sold by now, you're sunk. :p

Upvote 0

vilegirl

I wasn't so sure about WL when I first tried it either. That was a year ago and I can't get enough of it now. I don't know what I thought it was going to be like, but it wasn't anything like that. :lol: I wish I could explain it, but there's just a certain feeling of relaxation that I get when I stay there. I've stayed at a bunch of other resorts and I have honestly loved each one. But to me, as someone else said, WL, Poly and AKL are the resorts that "take you away" more than any others.

-Linda

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom