Please Refurbish the WDW Haunted Mansion

Imagineer999

Original Poster
The WDW Haunted Mansion could really use a refurbishment right now. I know they're always making minor repairs (the la la singer and headless knight are currently out for repair and the original endless hallway knight is currently out, temporarily replaced by an immobile knight from the attic), but if you're an annual passholder or frequent visitor like myself, you've probably noticed that the mansion is in major need of a refurbishment. The howling dog in the queue has been muted for a while, the timing of Master Gracey's transformation needs to be fixed so all guests can see him transform (not just the first people to enter, though I have a feeling that operations was responsible for speeding up the timing to load people in faster), the stretching portraits are unevenly aligned, the scrims are dirty, the wallpaper in the second stretching room is tearing and the audio in there is slightly out of sync (you hear the thunder clash BEFORE the lights out), there are several blown speakers in the graveyard (the busts sound scratchy and a couple characters I can barely hear), the CGI hitchhiking ghosts look awful and unaligned (they should've kept the original effect), the Corridor of Doors also has some blown speakers (I know they removed many of the sound effects in 2007 and added a couple new ones to make the Corridor's ghosts more subtle, but I haven't been able to hear some of the sound effects they kept very well), Little Leota's face is unaligned, the animatronics in the graveyard don't seem to be functioning very well, etc. I know average guests don't notice these things and that's probably why operations and WDI aren't quick to refurbish the ride (their mindset must be "Don't spend money on all this if most people don't notice"), but it's painful for a frequent mansion visitor like myself to see the attraction is such an awful state. I'm really hoping for the attraction to get a major refurbishment sometime soon, which isn't going to happen according to cast members I know, but it's been almost 12 years since the last major refurbishment.

Magenta Panther

The WDW Haunted Mansion could really use a refurbishment right now. I know they're always making minor repairs (the la la singer and headless knight are currently out for repair and the original endless hallway knight is currently out, temporarily replaced by an immobile knight from the attic), but if you're an annual passholder or frequent visitor like myself, you've probably noticed that the mansion is in major need of a refurbishment. The howling dog in the queue has been muted for a while, the timing of Master Gracey's transformation needs to be fixed so all guests can see him transform (not just the first people to enter, though I have a feeling that operations was responsible for speeding up the timing to load people in faster), the stretching portraits are unevenly aligned, the scrims are dirty, the wallpaper in the second stretching room is tearing and the audio in there is slightly out of sync (you hear the thunder clash BEFORE the lights out), there are several blown speakers in the graveyard (the busts sound scratchy and a couple characters I can barely hear), the CGI hitchhiking ghosts look awful and unaligned (they should've kept the original effect), the Corridor of Doors also has some blown speakers (I know they removed many of the sound effects in 2007 and added a couple new ones to make the Corridor's ghosts more subtle, but I haven't been able to hear some of the sound effects they kept very well), Little Leota's face is unaligned, the animatronics in the graveyard don't seem to be functioning very well, etc. I know average guests don't notice these things and that's probably why operations and WDI aren't quick to refurbish the ride (their mindset must be "Don't spend money on all this if most people don't notice"), but it's painful for a frequent mansion visitor like myself to see the attraction is such an awful state. I'm really hoping for the attraction to get a major refurbishment sometime soon, which isn't going to happen according to cast members I know, but it's been almost 12 years since the last major refurbishment.

I'm given to understand that people who work for the parks read this forum. I hope your post made them aware of what seems to be a very sad situation for the Mansion. Thanks for writing this!

Imagineer999

Original Poster
And while they're at it, HATBOX GHOST PLEASE!

Personally, I'm okay with the WDW Mansion not having Hattie because he was never there. He was planned, yes, but since he never worked at Disneyland he was never installed at WDW. By only having him at Disneyland, he feels more special there.

If they do add him to WDW, I want to see him in the attic and the attic restored to its original state.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
They should really restore it to the pre-2006 version IMO. It was immensely better. Also they should bring back the man hanging in the spider web ;)

There are things that I love and hate about the 2007 Re-Haunting. The new digital audio system was a huge plus and personally I do love the Escher Staircase, but I do really miss the Sinister 11 hallway, original attic, and original corridor of doors with the red glass globes on the chandeliers and hands on the last door. I have a feeling that the 2007 Imagineers were fans of the Disneyland Mansion and wanted to make WDW's more like it, which I frown upon because it makes WDW's Mansion less unique.

999th Happy Haunt

Personally, I'm okay with the WDW Mansion not having Hattie because he was never there. He was planned, yes, but since he never worked at Disneyland he was never installed at WDW. By only having him at Disneyland, he feels more special there.

If they do add him to WDW, I want to see him in the attic and the attic restored to its original state.
If not the Hatbox Ghost, perhaps his Florida equivalent, the man in the web, could return somewhere. I kind of doubt it though because he isn't well known outside of us huge WDW nerds, and the scene he was in is totally changed now, wouldn't make much sense to have him back where he was.

MattFrees71

Imagineer999, I think you're the one who replied to my comment about how they toned down the effects in the "Corridor of Doors" on the Youtube video of the same name. And yes, I've noticed much of what you mentioned having gone on the HM a few times in the past month. Recently, I especially noticed that peeling wallpaper in the stretching room, and am quite surprised they would let it get that bad.

Here's a post I made on another forum recently with my thoughts on the current state of the entire ride- I touch on many of the things you have brought up.

Thoughts on Current State of WDW Haunted Mansion

Dragonman

What is this webbed man?

He was a character that used to be hanging in the spider webs where the Escher staircase scene is today although like the Hatbox ghost he was removed very early on. Unlike HBG he wasn’t removed because his effect did not work but because he was too scary apparently. There’s been a few rumours that his figure still exists and lied beneath the omnimover motors in the graveyard for quite some time but no one has provided any proof of that. There’s definite proof he did exist though, you can read more about him
here: https://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2014/09/

TwilightZone

He was a character that used to be hanging in the spider webs where the Escher staircase scene is today although like the Hatbox ghost he was removed very early on. Unlike HBG he wasn’t removed because his effect did not work but because he was too scary apparently. There’s been a few rumours that his figure still exists and lied beneath the omnimover motors in the graveyard for quite some time but no one has provided any proof of that. There’s definite proof he did exist though, you can read more about him
Wow, that's really dark. I love it.

Dunston

Woah, I didn't know that WDW had its own Hatbox Ghost-esque urban legend. Cool!

mouse_luv

How about many of us that are HM addicts notice this stuff too and don't need to be an AP holder to do so.
But we also have upcoming trips and would like to be able to see and ride the attraction.

And if the other thread about the HM is to be believed (which I think it is b/c I've experienced it in the last couple of years like that), then it doesn't matter if the stuff is immediately fixed because you aren't going to get to experience it in full anyway, you'll be pushed through or CMs will be screaming over it.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No

DL's HM was firing on all cylinders last week during my visit. The skeleton atop the stretch room, graveyard animatronics, no torn wallpaper, i can go one. so nice to see what proper care and maintenance can do for a true show quality guest experience.

eddie104

DL's HM was firing on all cylinders last week during my visit. The skeleton atop the stretch room, graveyard animatronics, no torn wallpaper, i can go one. so nice to see what proper care and maintenance can do for a true show quality guest experience.
Yea after months of being turned into horror show with its overlay.

aladdin2007

It has bothered me for sometime that they did away with this, all I want to know is why. It was an iconic detail as you got closer outside and in line. Surely that can't cost them too much money to run.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
It has bothered me for sometime that they did away with this, all I want to know is why. It was an iconic detail as you got closer outside and in line. Surely that can't cost them too much money to run.

I know the dog's volume was reduced when the loud and ridiculous interactive queue was added in 2011 but now you can't hear the dog at all. Entering the mansion doesn't feel as creepy as it used to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom