Please fix the monorail!

TQQQ

Original Poster
Your correct it isn't a 1991 Yogo it is a large framed machine that is made to last a lot longer than the numbers I have heard here. The original trains were replaced because they didn't have the power to put enough cars on to let them pull the upgrades easily or bring enough people. I have been going to WDW since 1983 and since that time people that don't understand how machinery works have always figured if they witnessed a single time when the trains were down, then they went immediately to either they need new trains or they don't maintain them. Both are BS. Those machines will continue to operate at the place as long as broken parts can be replaced and the the cabins aren't falling off the chassis. I believe in luck to some degree but I have gone there 48 times and not once were the trains down due to mechanical problems, and that is also why they have extra trains. They don't run all of them at the same time. And if one is to break down it is replaced with another probably while you were riding PotC for the second time.

As long as they are structurally sound they can run forever and not have anymore mechanical problems than they had when they were first put on the rails. I'd be willing to bet that every single monorail train in the WDW fleet has been completely rebuilt at least 3 times in their lifetime. Perhaps one piece at a time or a complete drivetrain rebuild.

Personally I'd rather see them replace the rails. Those concrete spans have been in that Florida sun and handling tons of weight countless times a day. I'm more concerned about the stresses they have to deal with than the trains themselves. But, when they decide or and inspector decides they are no longer safe, that is the absolute day that monorails will be eliminated and gondolas will be the primary thing. Cables are easily replaced not so much those concrete rails.
I dont think they will ever get rid of the monorails.............To me, it would be like getting rid of Cinderellas Castle or Space Mountain.........just not possible

Goofyernmost

I dont think they will ever get rid of the monorails.............To me, it would be like getting rid of Cinderellas Castle or Space Mountain.........just not possible
They already don't need Space Mtn., they have Tron. Space Mtn is OK but even now no one really goes to MK just to ride Space Mtn., it is quite expendable. The monorails have a better chance of not phasing out then SM. The Castle will stay because that is the actual Icon of Magic Kingdom. Everything else is expendable.

Goofyernmost

Elighten me - why can't a product be extended beyond it's original shelf life, and how is it possible that it happens regularly across the world, with transport, industry, etc?
Exactly... with proper maintenance they could go another 50 years. The problem would be getting the parts. But there is no reason that they cannot keep going for many years. They are something we are used to seeing and are consider, to us, to be needed. It is part of how we envision WDW's Magic Kingdom and, to a lesser degree, Epcot, but if the time comes that pieces parts are no longer available than they might be removed. I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

Goofyernmost

Thats like comparing Apples to Ball bearings......
No, it is Trains to Trains. As long as parts or people with the ability to fix or rebuild them, they can go on indefinitely. They only difference might be that the outer surface is plastic instead of steel. Plastic skins are much, much easier to replace exactly or even a new design to fit on the chassis. Heck they could even update the external look of the trains tell you they are brand new and no guest would be the wiser.

Brad Bishop

That’s me with the Suburban…there’s NO way I will spend 80k for a new one…I just won’t. You, and others, keep talking about the door that fell off…ONCE IN 2018.
Please, stop about how dangerous it is. It can happen to cars, hoods fly up too, it could happen to a bus, that’s why they tell you NOT to stand in the well.

The way you’re talking, it’s gonna happen again a week from next Tuesday. Could it happen? ABSOLUTELY! And the battery in your brand new Tesla with 2500 miles could go up in flames on the way home today.
When I start hearing evacuations on a regular basis, accidents occurring on a regular basis, I’ll jump on your bandwagon, until then, they’re just fine, and YES, I ride them every time I’m there and I think they’re more reliable and safer than the skyliner.
We can agree to disagree.
The door flying open was one of many incidents.

Parts coming off was another.

The Monorail being unreliable to the point where people stopped using it for things like dining reservations 5-10 years back is another.

They used to proudly state their 99.9% uptime. They haven't stated that in about 10 years.

It's a good bit more than the door coming open.

Brad Bishop

Nobody ever seems to notice that 100 year old locomotives operate within 100 yards of the monorails that they say have to go because they're over 20 years old.
I'd argue that the 100 year old locomotives are better maintained than the Monorail trains.

Kind of like how I could probably find a guy with a Model T that is well maintained and find someone with a 2021 Toyota Camry which hasn't had an oil change because "it still runs.."

Smiley/OCD

The Monorail being unreliable to the point where people stopped using it for things like dining reservations 5-10 years back is another.

They used to proudly state their 99.9% uptime. They haven't stated that in about 10 years.

Then show a list of incidents post pandemic that caused the monorails to cease operations
NOT including power outages or storm related issues…I’m all ears…

Goofyernmost

Then show a list of incidents post pandemic that caused the monorails to cease operations
NOT including power outages or storm related issues…I’m all ears…
I agree.. other then that fire years ago, the breakdowns were pretty common for any form of transportation. The rest were either caused by human error or weather related. Unless someone is intimately involved with the absolute everyday monorail operation most of us are basing our experience on the random times we have visited the parks. I felt or saw no difference in the trains from the first year I rode them (1983) to the last time I rode one (2019). They felt the same, they were smooth and quiet and completely uneventful. That's 36 years of hauling literally millions of people and millions of miles traveled. There are very few things that have ever looked and felt the same after that much service.

Disstevefan1

I am worried -

Disney does not want to spend money to replace the Monorails. Replacements would (of course) include spare parts.

I am guessing they will (try) to keep the current Monorails going with the limited money they are allowed to spend, rigging things since there are no actual spare parts.

Who knows how much institutional knowledge of the Monorails they lost from the pandemic layoffs?

Last edited by a moderator:

TQQQ

Original Poster

Weird. 10 years ago, when they were supposed to be replaced according to the manufacturer

JoeCamel

I am worried -

Disney does not want to spend money to replace the Monorails. Replacements would (of course) include spare parts.

I am guessing they will (try) to keep the current Monorails going with the limited money they are allowed to spend, rigging things since there are no actual spare parts.

Who knows how much institutional knowledge of the Monorails they lost from the pandemic layoffs?

After DeSantis takes over, and a door wont close or a part falls off, HE WILL shut down the Monorail.

I can see him now in his office, feet up on his desk, cigar in his mouth, "WDW, I got them now, HAA, HAAA, HAAAA!"
People keep saying "replace the monorails" and I keep asking "where are you going to buy these replacements?" "What will be different about the new trains"
No answers yet......

Disstevefan1

People keep saying "replace the monorails" and I keep asking "where are you going to buy these replacements?" "What will be different about the new trains"
No answers yet......
Here's an article from 2019 -

Legend Bob Gurr. When discussing various past projects he’s worked on like the 1964 World’s Fair and the Epcot construction on a panel, he was asked about the rumors of a new monorail fleet being ordered for Walt Disney World.

Gurr didn’t hold any punches with his response and said that the current version of the Mark VI Monorail is almost at the end of the line, calling it a “duct tape monorail.”

Gurr confirms that new monorail contracts with Bombardier have already been confirmed and new monorails are coming:

“There is a contract… contracts are underway. You will see (new monorails). If everything works right, it will be the same company, Bombardier.”

JoeCamel

Legend Bob Gurr. When discussing various past projects he’s worked on like the 1964 World’s Fair and the Epcot construction on a panel, he was asked about the rumors of a new monorail fleet being ordered for Walt Disney World.

Gurr didn’t hold any punches with his response and said that the current version of the Mark VI Monorail is almost at the end of the line, calling it a “duct tape monorail.”

Gurr confirms that new monorail contracts with Bombardier have already been confirmed and new monorails are coming:

“There is a contract… contracts are underway. You will see (new monorails). If everything works right, it will be the same company, Bombardier.”
Let me know when Bombardier tools up to build 12 custom trains in lieu of building hundreds of light rail for cities around the world. I'll be right here. And if they did these custom builds how would they differ from what is there today or are you calling for the whole track, stations and contemporary to be rebuilt if they do?

lazyboy97o

Let me know when Bombardier tools up to build 12 custom trains in lieu of building hundreds of light rail for cities around the world. I'll be right here. And if they did these custom builds how would they differ from what is there today or are you calling for the whole track, stations and contemporary to be rebuilt if they do?
Bombardier Transportation no longer exists. They were sold to Alstom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom