Please fix the monorail!

Smiley/OCD

Plus it is a lack of parts. Not like they can call Bombardier and order a new door assembly or drive motor. Those are inhouse, scavenged or specialty manufacturer so more likely to "let it go until it gets worse" because like the entire vehicle no one is selling what you need for like new operation so good enough is good enough.
That should be on a wall somewhere
TWDC will have to get Pep Boys to carry those parts…

Lilofan

Plus it is a lack of parts. Not like they can call Bombardier and order a new door assembly or drive motor. Those are inhouse, scavenged or specialty manufacturer so more likely to "let it go until it gets worse" because like the entire vehicle no one is selling what you need for like new operation so good enough is good enough.
That should be on a wall somewhere
With Disney having a park across the Pacific, the govt over there having a share of the profits could help supply some parts....

Raxel7851

There’s a blast from the past! I loved going to Pep Boys when I was younger. There’s not many left on the East Coast. I did go to the one in my town and they only sell tires and batteries. No accessories at all. Not even wiper blades or the infamous Mr. T air freshener.

Lilofan

They can fly the parts over in a balloon…
Parts possibly can be shipped across the Pacific to the port of Los Angeles but one issue, LA can’t seem to find enough workers to unload the shipping containers while ships just sit outside the port in the nearby waters and lack of truck drivers to transport to states/ cities.

Smiley/OCD

There’s a blast from the past! I loved going to Pep Boys when I was younger. There’s not many left on the East Coast. I did go to the one in my town and they only sell tires and batteries. No accessories at all. Not even wiper blades or the infamous Mr. T air freshener.
There’s one in my town in Jersey…full service w/all auto parts…the only thing that’s gone are the giant statues of Manny, Moe & Jack…

JoeCamel

Parts possibly can be shipped across the Pacific to the port of Los Angeles but one issue, LA can’t seem to find enough workers to unload the shipping containers while ships just sit outside the port in the nearby waters and lack of truck drivers to transport to states/ cities.
We celebrated the death of the Port backup last fall. It was declared over

celluloid

There’s one in my town in Jersey…full service w/all auto parts…the only thing that’s gone are the giant statues of Manny, Moe & Jack…

That was the best part. "Car Like us, People Love us"

And I always thought, they were sort of a three stooges as a kid, and the one even resembled a characature of Rod Serling.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

CA has done that to itself with little items such as banning pre-2010 trucks and deadhead wait times at the port (time is money)

heapster411

Ok, I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban with 407k miles…past it’s life? NOPE, because with proper preventative maintenance, and replacing parts, ANY mechanical device can last indefinitely…why haven’t I replaced it? Because I’m NOT spending 80k for transportation.
Ever see the vehicles that are being driven in Cuba? If not, they’re 40’s, 50’s and 60’s American cars. Because of politics, the Cuban people can’t get replacement parts…they create their own and make them work…past their usefulness? Maybe, but their ingenuity proves otherwise.
Yes, let’s replace the monorails with skyliners…so every time there’s a threat of lightning, they get shut down…high winds? Shut down…there are SO MANY other things to spend $$ on at WDW. They’re falling off the beams, they’re being evacuated everyday…NO & NO.
The smell excuse I’ve heard for 20+ years…just like the parks being filthy, the parks aren’t, the monorails aren’t falling apart or smell bad…trust me, you want smells? Try a NYC subway car…
With the amount of talent in the back shops, ( look at the building of the tacos and stargate), I believe with the technology at their disposal, they can build their own. With CAD and 3D printing, parts should not be a problem. With carbon fiber and upgraded electric motors, this could be the transportation of the future! As us "old timers" would be saying, "Walt would go for it!!!" Like another poster had mentioned, that TWDC has no problem throwing $$$$ at movies that do not even come close to breaking even. So? Why can't they build something that will be a return investment. Parks make tons of money. At least from me!!! Who knows maybe they can be a monorail transportation company that sells them to major cities, and airports. you have to spend $ to make$$. They informed me that my 3 minutes are up, bye!
Keep Moving Forward Teen Titans GIF

NelleBelle

Someone convince the nearby Ford dealer. The items backlogged are still on ships not even unloaded at the port. I've heard that fallacy on other items "it was declared over ".
Not to hijack the thread, but I'll just briefly rant that last Jan. 31 we special ordered a hybrid F-150, as of today, it still has not been delivered!!! We told our dealer to screw it because we can get a F-150 Lightning in Honolulu in stock today. Geesh 😤

JoeCamel

With the amount of talent in the back shops, ( look at the building of the tacos and stargate), I believe with the technology at their disposal, they can build their own. With CAD and 3D printing, parts should not be a problem. With carbon fiber and upgraded electric motors, this could be the transportation of the future! As us "old timers" would be saying, "Walt would go for it!!!" Like another poster had mentioned, that TWDC has no problem throwing $$$$ at movies that do not even come close to breaking even. So? Why can't they build something that will be a return investment. Parks make tons of money. At least from me!!! Who knows maybe they can be a monorail transportation company that sells them to major cities, and airports. you have to spend $ to make$$. They informed me that my 3 minutes are up, bye!
Keep Moving Forward Teen Titans GIF
Those were not built in the shops. Like many roles truly talented machinists and fabricators can make much more than the mouse pays. Design and engineering is also farmed out as it is expensive to keep staff around expecting to use them for something in the future. Much easier to present a project to a company that does do that and have them do the grunt work of fully fleshing the nuts and bolts out.

Goofyernmost

Someone convince the nearby Ford dealer. The items backlogged are still on ships not even unloaded at the port. I've heard that fallacy on other items "it was declared over ".
It only takes one person operating the crane to unload onto trucks for distribution. That is were the problem is. I'm not sure way it is that way but you don't want an untrained rig driver on the road do you.

Brad Bishop

TWDC will never admit it, but they take money from divisions to pay for stuff in other divisions. They move money around for sure.
You can't see that on a spreadsheet.

What they see is:
- Monorail costs money

What they don't see is:
- Monorail making money (directly - through sales of tickets for the monorail)

I think that they will do the minimum, for now, to keep the monorails running to keep Disney fans (folks here) at bay. Eventually they'll reach the point where it isn't worth the time/money to repair them and that's when I think they'll be retired. When that is, I don't know. I just think that's the path they're on.

It'll likely be something like:
"The monorail will be shut down for the Summer 202x for refurbishment"
...and everyone here will go nuts because... "FINALLY! THEY'RE ADDRESSING THE MONORAIL!!"
then time will pass and people will wonder... " is going on with the monorail. We're not seeing any progress on this..." Others will argue back, "They're ordering parts... They're working on it behind the scenes - they're not going to park the monorail over the MK entrance and work on it there... Don't be dumb!"
... and more time will pass and people will start wondering, "Are they really working on the monorail?"

After a year or so it'll be announced the monorail isn't coming back.

The beams will stay for another 20 years... no maintenance on them.. Just slowly being overgrown and turning more black due to mold.

I believe that's where we are headed.

"But! but!!! What about the Deluxe hotels???"
... they'll remain Deluxe hotels and their prices will continue to increase. You'll get bus service and you'll like it. The excuses we'll see here will be along the lines of, "Honestly... The buses take me straight to the park I want, any park, and it's kind of a no-brainer... I don't even miss the monorail and, in some ways, it makes it less complicated to get around the resort."

"But!! But!!! The Monorail is iconic!"
I'm not arguing that it's not. I'm arguing that it won't be once you're used to not seeing them.

Bottom line:
If they wanted the Monorail to remain viable, long term, then they would have replaced the trains, done proper maintenance, etc. They wouldn't have had doors swinging open and parts falling off a few years back. They'd run, and brag about running, at 99.9% up-time and they'd be clean / pleasant to be on. You wouldn't have to use the excuse of, "People are crappier today," to cover for Disney.

This is about money. The Monorail costs a lot of money (compared to buses) and doesn't return anything, directly.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them build parking garages on either side of the park to fix the problem of having to get people across the lake. You could have one garage just North of the Contemporary and another on the other side of the canal West of the park. You could run two trams back and forth to ferry people to the front gate OR just let them walk and save on trams (they've shown they'll do this).

Also, ticket prices will increase... and you'll pay it.

Disstevefan1

You can't see that on a spreadsheet.

What they see is:
- Monorail costs money

What they don't see is:
- Monorail making money (directly - through sales of tickets for the monorail)

I think that they will do the minimum, for now, to keep the monorails running to keep Disney fans (folks here) at bay. Eventually they'll reach the point where it isn't worth the time/money to repair them and that's when I think they'll be retired. When that is, I don't know. I just think that's the path they're on.

It'll likely be something like:
"The monorail will be shut down for the Summer 202x for refurbishment"
...and everyone here will go nuts because... "FINALLY! THEY'RE ADDRESSING THE MONORAIL!!"
then time will pass and people will wonder... " is going on with the monorail. We're not seeing any progress on this..." Others will argue back, "They're ordering parts... They're working on it behind the scenes - they're not going to park the monorail over the MK entrance and work on it there... Don't be dumb!"
... and more time will pass and people will start wondering, "Are they really working on the monorail?"

After a year or so it'll be announced the monorail isn't coming back.

The beams will stay for another 20 years... no maintenance on them.. Just slowly being overgrown and turning more black due to mold.

I believe that's where we are headed.

"But! but!!! What about the Deluxe hotels???"
... they'll remain Deluxe hotels and their prices will continue to increase. You'll get bus service and you'll like it. The excuses we'll see here will be along the lines of, "Honestly... The buses take me straight to the park I want, any park, and it's kind of a no-brainer... I don't even miss the monorail and, in some ways, it makes it less complicated to get around the resort."

"But!! But!!! The Monorail is iconic!"
I'm not arguing that it's not. I'm arguing that it won't be once you're used to not seeing them.

Bottom line:
If they wanted the Monorail to remain viable, long term, then they would have replaced the trains, done proper maintenance, etc. They wouldn't have had doors swinging open and parts falling off a few years back. They'd run, and brag about running, at 99.9% up-time and they'd be clean / pleasant to be on. You wouldn't have to use the excuse of, "People are crappier today," to cover for Disney.

This is about money. The Monorail costs a lot of money (compared to buses) and doesn't return anything, directly.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them build parking garages on either side of the park to fix the problem of having to get people across the lake. You could have one garage just North of the Contemporary and another on the other side of the canal West of the park. You could run two trams back and forth to ferry people to the front gate OR just let them walk and save on trams (they've shown they'll do this).

Also, ticket prices will increase... and you'll pay it.
Agreed, it's all about Money.

It is too bad TWDC does not realize it's worth it to invest in the WDW Monorails.

How much money did She Hulk return on its $225 Million investment?

I pray there is not another Monorail tragedy, this time due to a system failure.

That would shut down the Monorail for good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom