Please don't be this Candlelight choir parent!

The Empress Lilly

Yes its rude, yes its frustrating, yes its annoying, but you are dealing with parents of kids. They are excited that their kids were invited to perform, they performed well, and it was at Disney.
I bet the parents are excited to see their kids on stage. But not half as excited as I am at the sights and smells of my Bratwurst at the Germany pavilion and yet I manage to contain* my impulse to run to counter and shove six in my mouf at once and the CMs and other guests be damned.

*well usually.

Lilofan

I bet the parents are excited to see their kids on stage. But not half as excited as I am at the sights and smells of my Bratwurst at the Germany pavilion and yet I manage to contain* my impulse to run to counter and shove six in my mouf at once and the CMs and other guests be damned.

*well usually.
I don't mind the smell of bratwurst but some in my party thought the smell can be very overwhelming especially at the pavillion.

Stellajack

Premium Member
I don't know how the Candlelight Processional invitation letters to the visiting choral groups read, but Disney could include instructions in those letters for family members and guests to remain seated until all performers are off stage. The letter could also strongly encourage the choral groups to get this information out in their school so they are not embarrassed by the behavior of their supporters and families.

cmwade77

There is a section for the hard of hearing right in front of the interpreter. Given their closeness to the stage and the height of the interpreter, even if someone was standing in front of them, they could easily see over them. I sit over in that section because I know some ASL and I can still quite visibly see the interpreter when everyone stands. So, good luck with your ADA lawsuit.
While you are right, those sitting in the section could still see, If someone is deaf and in a wheelchair or ECV, the people standing in front of them would block their view. I watched where the section was and saw this being an issue for some people that had this precise issue. So, yes, this could be a violation of ADA. And yes people should be considerate of those behind them.

Parker in NYC

I don't know how the Candlelight Processional invitation letters to the visiting choral groups read, but Disney could include instructions in those letters for family members and guests to remain seated until all performers are off stage. The letter could also strongly encourage the choral groups to get this information out in their school so they are not embarrassed by the behavior of their supporters and families.

I attended a concert recently where the artist used a service to essentially confiscate all mobile devices for the duration of the show. It’s a group called Yondr (maybe you’ve heard of them) - whereby phones and smart watches are encased in sealed pouches that can only be opened upon exit or for use while in the theater lobby. I’d love to see these in EVERY theater but until that time, maybe we can lock these parents up in them during the Processional.

drizgirl

I attended a concert recently where the artist used a service to essentially confiscate all mobile devices for the duration of the show. It’s a group called Yondr (maybe you’ve heard of them) - whereby phones and smart watches are encased in sealed pouches that can only be opened upon exit or for use while in the theater lobby. I’d love to see these in EVERY theater but until that time, maybe we can lock these parents up in them during the Processional.
Good luck with that.

unmitigated disaster

While you are right, those sitting in the section could still see, If someone is deaf and in a wheelchair or ECV, the people standing in front of them would block their view. I watched where the section was and saw this being an issue for some people that had this precise issue. So, yes, this could be a violation of ADA. And yes people should be considerate of those behind them.
Why would Disney be violating the ADA because people are being inconsiderate?

HongKongFooy

No amount of announcements or threats stop parents from going crazy when their kid’s name is called(at high school graduation)

So parents come unglued out of excitement and feel great pride just because their kids make it out of high school?!?!

Sorry, but outside of a student dealing with extraordinary impediments that is not an achievement worthy of freak-out. NOT graduating from high school is noteworthy; not the other way around.

Last edited:

drizgirl

So parents come unglued out of excitement and feel great pride just because their kids make it out of high school?!?!

Sorry, but outside of a student dealing with extraordinary impediments that is not an achievement worthy of freak-out. NOT graduating from high school is noteworthy; not the other way around.
I always figured the kids with parents who whoop and holler at high school graduation are the ones who just peaked in life.

heatherhy01

As a parent of one of the “little darlings” I have to admit that I may have been one of those people. I am apologizing after the fact but please realize that as you have practiced for months to put on a good show, you are also a professional at your craft. Our children have also practiced for many months to put on a good show too. This show is very nerve wracking for our children too. My daughter knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for her since we are a small Pennsylvania school, this did not help her be any less anxious for the two shows she needed to perform in. While us parents seem to be rude, we are not trying to be and honestly do not even realize that we are doing it, we are just so very excited that our children made it through the program and want to congratulate them on a job well done.

RobWDW1971

As a parent of one of the “little darlings” I have to admit that I may have been one of those people. I am apologizing after the fact but please realize that as you have practiced for months to put on a good show, you are also a professional at your craft. Our children have also practiced for many months to put on a good show too. This show is very nerve wracking for our children too. My daughter knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for her since we are a small Pennsylvania school, this did not help her be any less anxious for the two shows she needed to perform in. While us parents seem to be rude, we are not trying to be and honestly do not even realize that we are doing it, we are just so very excited that our children made it through the program and want to congratulate them on a job well done.
You’re not the only ones who have kids - it’s not an excuse for boorish, inconsiderate behavior.

HauntedMansionFLA

It wouldn't matter what they were told. At my son's 3rd grade concert, the kids were already on the risers behind a curtain in the "cafa-torium". The principal gets on stage and explains that the kids might be nervous but need to focus on the performance. Asked parents to please do not stand or wave to them, not to take pics, just let them perform. The message was repeated in Spanish, then the principal walked off and the curtain went up. Despite being told 30 seconds prior, a full 1/3 to half the audience stood up, took pics and waved to their kids. I sat there in disbelief to how many did it. A part of me died that day and will never be brought back.
Those are the parents that should not have been allowed to have children 😉

unmitigated disaster

And congratulating them couldn't have waited 5 minutes or so? Man, what else do you do, cut into line because your kid has to see Santa
NOW?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom