Please don't be this Candlelight choir parent!

macefamily

You have hit one of my pet peeves right on the money. My kids are all out of high school, thank goodness, because I was bound to have a stroke if I had to sit through another graduation or recognition ceremony. It's the same damn families at EVERY event that have to stand and scream "Alright Billy !!" or "Way to go Emma !!" It's embarrassing and cringe-worthy to say the least. Been through 18 years of it so I'm very glad to be done with it.

jloucks

It's the people with airhorns at graduation that I would like to see forcibly ejected.
I am quite tolerant to chatting, standing, and generally being a nuisance so long as it does not take time away from me or occlude more than 50% of what I am trying to take in, but those airhorns actually hurt my ears. You blast an airhorn within 10 feet of me, and there will be salty words exchanged.

jloucks

You have hit one of my pet peeves right on the money. My kids are all out of high school, thank goodness, because I was bound to have a stroke if I had to sit through another graduation or recognition ceremony. It's the same damn families at EVERY event that have to stand and scream "Alright Billy !!" or "Way to go Emma !!" It's embarrassing and cringe-worthy to say the least. Been through 18 years of it so I'm very glad to be done with it.
"cringe-worthy"... that is exactly what it makes me do!!

...but I am also guilty of more loudly clapping/cheering for my kids or people I know.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's much worse when Cheerleader parents are there during the late winter even if they are doing some small routine in the parks for something...Holy heck they go berserk if their daughter does a backflip....🙄

Phil12

This has nothing to do with the programming, but about bad audience behavior. It happens in live theater too, you should remain in your seats (aside from giving a standing ovation) until after the final curtain call. Additionally, you should NEVER show up late and in fact they shouldn't even admit anyone after the performance has started. Again, it is plain rude to interrupt others enjoyment of the show by walking in front of them because you came in late. I can understand if you have to rush to the bathroom, but arriving late is completely avoidable.
It's Disney! If you want acceptable audience behavior then you obviously need a change of venue. And let's not forget that the Candlelight Processional is a rather boring affair therefore it is perfectly understandable that the audience will leave long before its completion. The American Gardens Theater is an amphitheater right on the main drag of the walk around the world showcase. And the fact is that people are free to come and go from the theater as they please. It's much like the other boring free shows at Epcot in that people will leave before boredom causes their eyelids to close.

Parker in NYC

As far as theater goes, the standing ovation practice has got out of hand over the last 20 years. There are standing ovations now for every performance on Broadway, which only used to be reserved for outstanding circumstances. And hooting and hollering like a sport's event. But since theater tickets are so expensive, audiences want to make sure they feel they're a part of an event. In a way, they're part of the show. Otherwise, it doesn't "count." Not the case in this circumstance but a symptom nonetheless.

RobWDW1971

As far as theater goes, the standing ovation practice has got out of hand over the last 20 years. There are standing ovations now for every performance on Broadway, which only used to be reserved for outstanding circumstances. And hooting and hollering like a sport's event. But since theater tickets are so expensive, audiences want to make sure they feel they're a part of an event. In a way, they're part of the show. Otherwise, it doesn't "count." Not the case in this circumstance but a symptom nonetheless.
Agree, it has gotten so ridiculous on Broadway that I just rationalize it as "well, we all have to stand up to leave anyway...".

Goofyernmost

...and high school and college graduations, too.
I just did that at my Daughters Masters graduations. I usually don't do that, but just minutes before when a name was called out, someone in the crowd yelled out... "THAT'S MY BOY". So really more of a reflex then a thought out plan, but when about 10 people later my daughters name was called I was forced to yell out... "THAT'S MY GIRL". Believe me, that was calm and just funny in both instances, however, the hooting and hollering, in some cases noise makers were brought, was almost deafening at times. Some of those graduates must have come from large families and every single Aunt, Uncle and every degree of Cousin must have shown up. Except for the whistles that were actually hurting my ears, it was a very joyous occasion.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, that is likely post facto origin story.

The simpler answer is that in the liturgical tradition of Anglicanism and Catholicism is that you stand for the Alleluia.
I had been a Catholic for 46 years and that is news to me! If it is it is since I left some 25 years ago. That said, I think there is entirely to many occasions when a standing ovation happens. Other then the national anthem I have never encountered any piece of music that "required" people to stand. If it is an organized service in a church or appropriate location and is part of the service, I agree. However, outside of a structured religious service or mass, standing is to show appreciation for the quality of the performance. It is the prime example of the group mentality. One person stands and everyone else feels they should as well. I don't! If it is exceptional, I will. A group of people, dressed in robes, entertaining at WDW, does not a religious event make.

Phil12

It's much worse when Cheerleader parents are there during the late winter even if they are doing some small routine in the parks for something...Holy heck they go berserk if their daughter does a backflip....🙄
But at least in the parks, you have plenty of room to escape. But when the cheerleaders start their routines on a bus, the rest of us are a captive audience! I'm sort of concerned that a small group of cheerleaders might start their routine on the Skyliner when it's stalled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom