Please don't be this Candlelight choir parent!

Cmdr_Crimson

But at least in the parks, you have plenty of room to escape. But when the cheerleaders start their routines on a bus, the rest of us are a captive audience! I'm sort of concerned that a small group of cheerleaders might start their routine on the Skywliner when it's stalled.
Wait until your in a tour group gondola...And then it slows down.....Then the chantings begin....
source.gif

cmwade77

Yeah, that is likely post facto origin story.

The simpler answer is that in the liturgical tradition of Anglicanism and Catholicism is that you stand for the Alleluia.
I see, the problem is that this blocks the view for guests with disabilities. Of course the National Anthem would have the same issue, but for the majority of people that don't believe that you should stand for this song sees this as inherently rude to those with disabilities. Now that this has been explained, it doesn't seem that it is being intentionally rude, but it still does cause an issue. But I see others reporting that this isn't normal, so if that is the case, then it definitely is rude to those with disabilities. Perhaps Disney should request that everyone remain seated during the entire performance unless the have to leave the theater.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I see, the problem is that this blocks the view for guests with disabilities. Of course the National Anthem would have the same issue, but for the majority of people that don't believe that you should stand for this song sees this as inherently rude to those with disabilities. Now that this has been explained, it doesn't seem that it is being intentionally rude, but it still does cause an issue. But I see others reporting that this isn't normal, so if that is the case, then it definitely is rude to those with disabilities. Perhaps Disney should request that everyone remain seated during the entire performance unless the have to leave the theater.

Should Disney make everyone sit on the ground for the fireworks show or castle shows or dance parties?

Also, after 30 minutes of watching singers stand and sing, and instrumentalists be seated and make repetitive motion about their instruments... there really isn't anything to see by the time you get to the Hallelujah Chorus that you haven't been seeing for the past half hour.

cmwade77

Should Disney make everyone sit on the ground for the fireworks show or castle shows or dance parties?

Also, after 30 minutes of watching singers stand and sing, and instrumentalists be seated and make repetitive motion about their instruments... there really isn't anything to see by the time you get to the Hallelujah Chorus that you haven't been seeing for the past half hour.
There generally isn't a need with those shows to make people sit on the ground due to the location where the wheelchair sections are.

And actually there is quite a bit to still see after 30 minutes, including the narrator or for those who are deaf the sign language intrepreter, which means by standing you are now preventing them from seeing part of the show and thus causing Disney to violate ADA laws.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Perhaps Disney should request that everyone remain seated during the entire performance unless the have to leave the theater.
One of my favorite "Really?" stories:

Working in the Pentagon, having lunch in the courtyard, when a local high school band, brought in as a civic service opportunity (for them) in the form of a lunchtime concert (for Department of Defense workers), strikes up their first tune:

Our National Anthem...

In the courtyard of the Pentagon...

Full of people trying to eat their lunch so they can get back to work...

Who now had to put down their food, stop eating and stand at attention while the band struggled through the song.

giphy.gif

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There generally isn't a need with those shows to make people sit on the ground due to the location where the wheelchair sections are.

And actually there is quite a bit to still see after 30 minutes, including the narrator or for those who are deaf the sign language intrepreter, which means by standing you are now preventing them from seeing part of the show and thus causing Disney to violate ADA laws.

There is a section for the hard of hearing right in front of the interpreter. Given their closeness to the stage and the height of the interpreter, even if someone was standing in front of them, they could easily see over them. I sit over in that section because I know some ASL and I can still quite visibly see the interpreter when everyone stands. So, good luck with your ADA lawsuit.

yensid67

I would voice my concerns to whoever is in charge of the Processional. They could simply make an announcement at the beginning of the show and print it on posters outside Gardens Theatre!

MrMcDuck

Absolutely disgusting behavior, but not surprising these days. If I think it won't add to the disturbance, I tell such horrible people to sit down and hush. Unfortunately, they don't usually listen.

Rob562

As far as theater goes, the standing ovation practice has got out of hand over the last 20 years. There are standing ovations now for every performance on Broadway, which only used to be reserved for outstanding circumstances. And hooting and hollering like a sport's event. But since theater tickets are so expensive, audiences want to make sure they feel they're a part of an event. In a way, they're part of the show. Otherwise, it doesn't "count." Not the case in this circumstance but a symptom nonetheless.

I've seen a few touring shows here in Boston (I'm not naming names) that I've purposely stayed seated for at the curtain call. The performances were ok at best. I clapped, but did not stand.

(Of course I also make sure to stay until the orchestra finishes their post-show music to give them some extra applause at the end.)

-Rob

thomas998

Yes its rude, yes its frustrating, yes its annoying, but you are dealing with parents of kids. They are excited that their kids were invited to perform, they performed well, and it was at Disney. Us passing the word isnt going to change a thing. Someone from Disney thats in control of the performance needs to explain at rehearsal, to the leader of the group who has control, the kids and their parents what the appropriate behavior should be at that point of the performance. Then a stern reminder on the day of the performance when they gather to prepare to start.
The only way to really deal with it if Disney wants to address the issue is to change the timing of when the little darlings are used and released. If they were at the very end of the show they wouldn't have the problem, but putting them in and releasing them prior to the end of the show is the cause and as stated nothing is going to stop it from happening.

Efirefly

I have been a member of the Disney Cast Choir in Walt Disney World for the past few years. I love to sing, and being up there in the tree is very special to me. But every show of every year I see the same disturbing behavior, and I really wish you'll all help me spread the word.

As the choir finishes The Hallelujah Chorus, parents of the guest choirs (gold robes) start to walk out to meet congratulate their little darlings over a performance well done. This despite the fact that the cast choir, Voices of Liberty, a 52-piece orchestra, and conductor are all still on stage performing. This is EXTREMELY rude. I doubt you'd be happy if other guests acted the same way in your home theater. The orchestra and cast choir rehearse for months to get the show "just right." The least you could do would be to sit down quietly until the entire performance is complete. The other night a large, burly man stood up and applauded his little darling LOUDLY, hooting and whistling as she came off stage. That is the HEIGHT of rudeness, and I'm betting his little darling was embarrassed by his behavior.

Please, folks, be respectful to the entire performance, and stay in your seats until ALL the performers leave the stage. Your little darlings have to go back stage and turn in their robes before you can see them; let them go.

If I seem angry, it's only because I'm frustrated that I have seen this happen show after show, year after year. If you agree that it's rude, please spread the word in other Disney World forums.

p.s. It is choral tradition all over the world to stand during The Hallelujah Chorus.
The best way to solve this problem is for the director to state the expected behavior (stand, wait to pick up your child because they are being taken to remove robes, etc.Even though it is a standard for the crowd to stand, not all the audience will know that. It’s best to assume that people will NOT know what the expected behavior is and to let them know prior to the performance (this includes the loud vocal praise for their own child’s performance).

Daddyoh

I have been a member of the Disney Cast Choir in Walt Disney World for the past few years. I love to sing, and being up there in the tree is very special to me. But every show of every year I see the same disturbing behavior, and I really wish you'll all help me spread the word.

As the choir finishes The Hallelujah Chorus, parents of the guest choirs (gold robes) start to walk out to meet congratulate their little darlings over a performance well done. This despite the fact that the cast choir, Voices of Liberty, a 52-piece orchestra, and conductor are all still on stage performing. This is EXTREMELY rude. I doubt you'd be happy if other guests acted the same way in your home theater. The orchestra and cast choir rehearse for months to get the show "just right." The least you could do would be to sit down quietly until the entire performance is complete. The other night a large, burly man stood up and applauded his little darling LOUDLY, hooting and whistling as she came off stage. That is the HEIGHT of rudeness, and I'm betting his little darling was embarrassed by his behavior.

Please, folks, be respectful to the entire performance, and stay in your seats until ALL the performers leave the stage. Your little darlings have to go back stage and turn in their robes before you can see them; let them go.

If I seem angry, it's only because I'm frustrated that I have seen this happen show after show, year after year. If you agree that it's rude, please spread the word in other Disney World forums.

p.s. It is choral tradition all over the world to stand during The Hallelujah Chorus.
Totally in agreement ! but to add, this appears through out in many a live performance we have observed. It is rude to the performer as well as other audience members, lets not forget about conversations during a performance as well. To not enjoy an encore when given is so confusing I can't understand this.

Editor516

The best way to solve this problem is for the director to state the expected behavior (stand, wait to pick up your child because they are being taken to remove robes, etc.Even though it is a standard for the crowd to stand, not all the audience will know that. It’s best to assume that people will NOT know what the expected behavior is and to let them know prior to the performance (this includes the loud vocal praise for their own child’s performance).
I honestly think most of the people who leave early are not parents of the choir students. I think they’re people who lose interest and/or think the show is over when the celebrity leaves the stage.

I’m tempted to blame our celebrity-obsessed culture - as in, does anything matter once the famous person walks away from the podium? The rest of the show after that point, well, it’s like the music that plays under the end credits of a movie, right?

bmmilan

It's just another form of the epidemic of Societal Narcissism - my generation was raised with the now outdated concept of "the greater good", unfortunately today it is all about "my rights".

Regardless of the impact on others and their experience, we now get Brazilians chanting and clapping as loudly as possible, giant scooters plowing through areas designed for pedestrians, fake service animals pooping in park planters, kids screaming and having public meltdowns while parents righteously defend it, people standing in front of those sitting that had waited for parades/fireworks, etc, etc. Disney parks are an unfortunate mirror to our eroding concept of society.

Old man "get off my lawn" rant over.

(But seriously, get off my lawn)
Lol. Totally agree!

bmmilan

This has nothing to do with the programming, but about bad audience behavior. It happens in live theater too, you should remain in your seats (aside from giving a standing ovation) until after the final curtain call. Additionally, you should NEVER show up late and in fact they shouldn't even admit anyone after the performance has started. Again, it is plain rude to interrupt others enjoyment of the show by walking in front of them because you came in late. I can understand if you have to rush to the bathroom, but arriving late is completely avoidable.
I agree. People need to stop making excuses for their poor behavior. If you cant be respectful at a performance no matter how bad or boring you think it is, than don't go and stop ruining it for everyone else.

Hank Hill

It wouldn't matter what they were told. At my son's 3rd grade concert, the kids were already on the risers behind a curtain in the "cafa-torium". The principal gets on stage and explains that the kids might be nervous but need to focus on the performance. Asked parents to please do not stand or wave to them, not to take pics, just let them perform. The message was repeated in Spanish, then the principal walked off and the curtain went up. Despite being told 30 seconds prior, a full 1/3 to half the audience stood up, took pics and waved to their kids. I sat there in disbelief to how many did it. A part of me died that day and will never be brought back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom